Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

PSE Install this week

Will be installing the PSE this wed on my cab C2S. What did you all do with the STD exhust after installing the PSE, leave it for the dealer? Mine is practicully BRAND new.

Re: PSE Install this week

I would hang onto it, if you have space to store it. The next owner of your car may want to restore the stock exhaust system. This is what I have done in the past and plan to do with my next one. You can also try selling it on eBay, but I am not sure who would be buying a stock exhaust system.

somebody who has damaged his car!

silverrules,
    I kept the STD exhaust. It's in a box in my basement.

silverrules,

I will be interested in your opinion since you also have a cab and got to experience the standard USA exhaust before going to the PSE. Please post your feelings about the difference between the two. At times with the top down, I feel the standard exhaust is plenty loud. As I drive down my street it echos off the neighbors houses. At other times it seems pretty tame.

Let us know what you experience.

Phil

i ll going to keep it too,just dont know how to transfer it home

i ll going to keep it too,just dont know how to transfer it home
    Is it big stradale? or is it packed small?

Thanks guys. I guess I will be keeping mine in the attic for now. Thanks for your feedback.

Phil, I will give you my honest opinion after install.I will probably pick it up on Friday unless they are missing a component and believe me they always do

Phil,
    I feel exactly like you have described it. Sometimes it is as loud as it can be and sometime cant feel anything.

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Thanks guys. I guess I will be keeping mine in the attic for now. Thanks for your feedback.

Phil, I will give you my honest opinion after install.I will probably pick it up on Friday unless they are missing a component and believe me they always do

Yes, by all means, give us a report on the sound of the PSE and how it differs from the standard exhaust system.

If you have Sport Chrono, they should be able to make it functional, whether or not they have the replacement LED Sport button. You can always employ RC's full-time ON method outlined elsewhere on this forum.

Same should be true if you do NOT have Sport Chrono and they do not have the ON/OFF button for the center console.

Everything else needed should be in the kit.

I do have the sport chrono but I thought it still requires a replacemnet switch. I will try the mod described by RC after driving as is and then switch over to RC mod and decide if I want always on. I never thought I would pay $2500 for sound chnage but that is all this car is missing. Hopefully it is worthed. We shall see.

As near as I can tell from reading the PSE Installation Instructions, the additional LED on the Sport button indicates that the PSE is ON. (I still think this is redundant. Maybe it is a legal requirement of some sort.)

I think the DME senses the pressing of the Sport button to ON (Sport mode) and turns ON the PSE through the connection from DME to PSE Electic Change-Over Valve. On NON-Sport Chrono cars the additional ON/OFF button replaces this function of the SPORT button on cars WITH Sport Chrono & Sport button. At least that is how I have deduced the operation.

If anyone has a clearer understanding of the operation of the PSE system in Sport Chrono and NON-Sport Chrono cars, I would like to hear what they have to say about the operation of the PSE.

Thanks Bill for detail explanation.

Stradale,
    How do you like the PSE?

Picked up the car after PSE install and guess what? There was no switch included in the package and I asked these guys 10 times if they have the switch and they kept saying, oh yah. I knew it, I knew it. For now the existing sport chrono switch is being used until the new switch comes in. Total price was $3587 but I only paid $2300 (YESSSS) the sales dept will pcik up the rest
    Aksed the mechanioc to use the plug to enbale the PSE on all the time and it was so simple. Frankly I dont know why I would want them to install the new switch. There is no way in hell I will turn off the PSE.
    Bill, you have the cab and I promised to give you my hoenest opinions and here it goes. With the top up I turned the engine and the 1st impression was the deep roar which is different than the STD exhust. Pushed the RPM higher and felt the roar even more. Started driving and I started to think why Porsche did not make PSE std sound for 997S. This is how the car should sound like. I drove for about 20 miles with the top up and then took the top down and all I can tell you is WOW. Night and day difference. If you have Cab you definitly want PSE. I do understand some of the coupe owners were not 100% satisfied and I kind of agree with them but in the cab open top the sound differnce is 3x better. I am compeltly happy with the $2300 that I have spent and as of today this is probably the best option in this car. I CANT WAIT TO DRIVE IT MORE and MORE and MORE

silverrules:

Thanks for the description. It sounds great! I am wondering why one would go through the time, effort and expense of installing the wiring and vacuum systems. These are immediately defeated and unused when remvoing the vacuum line from the electric change-over valve to get the same always ON result.

The vacuum lines, electrical wiring and button can always be added at some later date, should they be wanted.

Bill, I agree. The only reason to do the wiring could be resale but then again the new buyer can do that themslef if they really like the car, therwise it is total waste to do t he wiring.

i'm sooo jealous again silverrules i'm still waiting for that call from my dealer...

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Stradale,
    How do you like the PSE?

LOVE IT !

Quote:
    silverrules said:
    Picked up the car after PSE install and guess what? There was no switch included in the package and I asked these guys 10 times if they have the switch and they kept saying, oh yah. I knew it, I knew it. For now the existing sport chrono switch is being used until the new switch comes in. Total price was $3587 but I only paid $2300 (YESSSS) the sales dept will pcik up the rest
    Aksed the mechanioc to use the plug to enbale the PSE on all the time and it was so simple. Frankly I dont know why I would want them to install the new switch. There is no way in hell I will turn off the PSE.
    Bill, you have the cab and I promised to give you my hoenest opinions and here it goes. With the top up I turned the engine and the 1st impression was the deep roar which is different than the STD exhust. Pushed the RPM higher and felt the roar even more. Started driving and I started to think why Porsche did not make PSE std sound for 997S. This is how the car should sound like. I drove for about 20 miles with the top up and then took the top down and all I can tell you is WOW. Night and day difference. If you have Cab you definitly want PSE. I do understand some of the coupe owners were not 100% satisfied and I kind of agree with them but in the cab open top the sound differnce is 3x better. I am compeltly happy with the $2300 that I have spent and as of today this is probably the best option in this car. I CANT WAIT TO DRIVE IT MORE and MORE and MORE

First off. Congratulations. Fun right ?
    For the first 7 days since picking my car up I drove it with the PSE only on when I pressed the sport button. And for the first 7 days I only put the top up when I parked the car. This past week since doing RC's mod I have not turned the PSE off at all. It's during the 30-50mph range that sounds the best with w/ the PSE, so the mod. really makes a difference. I agree it really sounds great ON all the time and I doubt I will turn it off, ever. Even on long trips. Not only does the burbling and gurrggling sound awesome, I feel safer when other cars are around me, I know they can hear me, when sometimes they might not be able to see me. Totally agree with you about the sound w/ the top down too. I posted about that a few days ago. The PSE is significantlly louder with the top down. And with the top down not only is it louder but you can hear sounds from the PSE you don't hear w/ the top up. Also, the exhaust sounds sick when accelerating, but it's the back throttle pops that make my day. And to think if I didn't read this forum I would never had learned about the mod. At the risk of sounding corny --------RENNTEAM RULES ! Thanks RC !

btw:silverrules- Wait..........It gets louder after a few hundred miles

btw2: First oil top-off this am. Added almost 1 quart of oil today (825miles)which got me back to the top fill line.

Stradale,
    How is it with PSE on long distance drive?
    Is the drone omnipresent and annoying or at low cruising revs, say 3000 rpm, it's descent.
    Thanks.

Quote:
    STRADALE said: It's during the 30-50mph range that sounds the best with w/ the PSE, so the mod. really makes a difference. I agree it really sounds great ON all the time and I doubt I will turn it off, ever. Even on long trips.

My experience has just as Stradale wrote it as well. 40-80km/h is when the PSE sounds great, or at least its when you enjoy it most since at higher speeds every exhaust gets swalloed a bit by the enviromental noise, so when you disconnect the cut-off you really enjoy the PSE!
    And even in longs trips, Fanch. In constant speeds at 3-4k rpm the exhaust does not get bothersome at all, it quiets downs at constant throttle.

My ONLY regret still is not to be able to turn it off within tight european city driving because the sound seems a bit louder as it bounces off the buildings and cars on the side of the road, and since there are pedestrians in the city, it calls a bit too much attention for my taste, but for my taste. But I can definately live with it, I'm not turning the cut-off back on! not becuase its louder and you can hear it more but becuase also the quality of the sound is so good, so sporty and 911'ish, no other exhaust matches the sound of the original PSE... I have never driven with the window open so much before!

You guys have convinced me. I'm ordering my PSE this weekend.

Carlos, Straddle, I am with you. Ever since installing the PSE it feels 10 times more fun to drive this car. At times it feels like you are on the track. Hands down this is the best option available. Oh, i cant get enough of this car now

Stradale, I agree. We have to thanks RC for all this fun

i think next time i see a thread that involves anything with PSE i'm going to ignore it , reading all this positive stuff about PSE is driving me nuts while i just sit and wait!!!! in fact i'm going to drive to my dealer now and find out when the pse is coming, this "i don't know" is bull!

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    You guys have convinced me. I'm ordering my PSE this weekend.

You won't regret it I have heard the PSE on the 996 and I loved the sound and knew I wanted it for my 997S, but it made an even bigger difference than I thought once its on the car you are driving.
    Especially without the cut-off. To those that have not tried the PSE mod, I suggest you try it

Later on I may do a little video of the PSE without the cutoff so you can really hear the PSE. Sorry again Mike

now that you brought that up, pls make video now! can't wait

Quote:
    Fanch said:
    Stradale,
    How is it with PSE on long distance drive?
    Is the drone omnipresent and annoying or at low cruising revs, say 3000 rpm, it's descent.
    Thanks.

Fanch,
    It's fine really for all the time. Even on long trips. When you're cruizing on a long trip at the lower rpm's you can still hear it sounds deep but it's not obnoxiously loud at lower, constant, rpms when you're long-distance highway driving. I say that even with a convertible where it is louder in the cockpit. Accelerating hard it gets louder. Downshifts and back throttle is also louder and my favorite part about the PSE.

In order to install the PSE and the switch for the center console, does the rear center console need to be detached or removed?

Patriot

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM