Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: New Panamera (2016)

So, what are they officially calling this, the Porsche Macanamera?

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

Lars997:

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

SmileySmiley

Enmanuel:
    Lars997:

SmileySmileySmileySmiley

SmileySmiley

Smiley Smiley

--

J.Seven

Does it really look that different than the concept car? Maybe not.

So, which will have more space, the Macan or the Gran Turismo. I kind of like the Macan, but really, it doesn't offer very much space for being a sort of SUV.

These pics looks very much Photoshop. Maybe the real thing is close, but this isn't leaked...

Lars997:

It is a leak - not a PS. Trust me 

200k€ for a station wagon - IMO no problem, there will be buyers waiting for this car. There are people buying a Bentayga for over 300k, too. And how about the Ferrari FF or Lusso? 

To me it looks just like a bad photoshop of these images Smiley

JR-550:

Totally agree. I do not understand why at Porsche you cannot chose the color of the brake calipers. They are so keen on selling you extra's why not a option of different color?

It is because they use the caliper color as a branding/status method (Black brakes base model, Red brakes S, Turbo or performance, Yellow brakes premium or PCCB, Acid Green on Hybrid models).  They don't want to mix and match, so you can tell how much a customer spent on his car from across the street by the color of his brake calipers.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Lukas:
    Lars997:

It is a leak - not a PS. Trust me 

200k€ for a station wagon - IMO no problem, there will be buyers waiting for this car. There are people buying a Bentayga for over 300k, too. And how about the Ferrari FF or Lusso? 

To me it looks just like a bad photoshop of these images Smiley

Hmmm.... this looks indeed like a source for a PS. I mean - even the spots in the carpet are the same! The guy which was sending me those pics is usually very reliable and part of PAG. So I trusted him. Let's wait and see!

That is an old Photoshop job that has been floating around the internet for over two months now:

http://www.autogespot.com/rendering-porsche-panamera-shooting-brake-makes-us-greedy

Bingo!

I will have to pull the legs of that guy which was passing on this picture to me! smiley

No-one fools RT kiss

Lars997:

I will have to pull the legs of that guy which was passing on this picture to me! smiley

No-one fools RT kiss

If he is working for PAG, it was to be expected that he sent you a ps job. He could loose his job over a "leak", you know that. Smiley

However, like I said before...the real thing looks very close, I saw a small brochure pre-print master with a photo... Smiley

The final product will not look exactly like the study...unfortunately but I still think Porsche needs this car.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Lars997:

No-one fools RT kiss

If he is working for PAG, it was to be expected that he sent you a ps job. He could loose his job over a "leak", you know that. Smiley

However, like I said before...the real thing looks very close, I saw a small brochure pre-print master with a photo... Smiley

The final product will not look exactly like the study...unfortunately but I still think Porsche needs this car.

For Europeans only. it will not sell well anywhere else in the world, especially not in the Americas. A SUV is much more practical than a wagon. 

--

Is there any substantial difference between the Sport Turismo and the regular Panamera? I mean, anything beyond the rear end redesign?

Whoopsy:
    RC:
    Lars997:

No-one fools RT kiss

For Europeans only. it will not sell well anywhere else in the world, especially not in the Americas. A SUV is much more practical than a wagon. 

Very true.

Funny: In the past, most of my Porsche dealer's customers were doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, soccer players Smiley and so on. Now half of the customers seem to be...craftsmen (with their own company of course). These type of customers can't wait for a station wagon, same goes to Porsche owners who have kids and/or hobbies with a larger trunk requirement.

Yes, SUVs are not that popular over here (compared to the US or Canada) and the station wagon is just perfect for Porsche. Especially since station wagons also always create the illusion of not being really expensive or a luxury car. 

This may actually also be the reason why the final product won't look as sexy as the Sport Turismo study. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

What do we now about the expected Panamera Hybrid for Paris?

That it was introduced last week and that is configurable on your local Porsche configurator.

@Nick, RC - yep I agree - who wants to buy a wagon if there is an option of a SUV?

I cant wait until they present a Panamera SUV version broken heart

A SUV is much more practical than a wagon. 

Why? What are the practical advantages of the Cayenne vs. this? 

The reason why it won't sell that well is perception - station wagons are considered to be not cool. Modern SUVs are purely a marketing phenomenon. The automotive world was just fine until the ML and the X5 were introduced. The car makers have been trying to make SW's cool which would solve tons of problems - weight, emissions, dynamics...everything. But people just want their big, fat SUVs.

Well, for starters, SUVs offer way more usable space...

noone1:

I don't think that the Cayenne offers way more usable space than say an Audi A6 Avant. A quick search returns 670 vs. 565 litres. I'd be surprised if those 100 litres are the sales driver for the SUVs. They just look cooler. But the penalty to carry 100 or 150 litres more with an SUV is huge. 300 - 400 kg more weight, flowed dynamics and aerodynamics, worse driving comfort, blocking the visibility for other cars, big price premium (SUVs have higher profit margins).

Thanks, i didn't realized

Herbaliser:
    noone1:

I don't think that the Cayenne offers way more usable space than say an Audi A6 Avant. A quick search returns 670 vs. 565 litres. I'd be surprised if those 100 litres are the sales driver for the SUVs. They just look cooler. But the penalty to carry 100 or 150 litres more with an SUV is huge. 300 - 400 kg more weight, flowed dynamics and aerodynamics, worse driving comfort, blocking the visibility for other cars, big price premium (SUVs have higher profit margins).

Well, most SUVs are not as tiny as a Cayenne. The Explorer I used a few months ago has like 17 ft3 more space than an Avant, and the height of the storage was important. The shape of a volume is just as important as the volume itself.

The Macan has 17.7 cubic feet of cargo space with the seats up vs. 53 with the seats down ( 500 and 1,500 litres)

The Panamera (old one) has 15.7 and 44.6 (444 and 1,263 litres)

The A6 Avant has 20 and 59.3 (565 and 1,680 litres)

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Herbaliser:

The reason why it won't sell that well is perception - station wagons are considered to be not cool. Modern SUVs are purely a marketing phenomenon. The automotive world was just fine until the ML and the X5 were introduced. The car makers have been trying to make SW's cool which would solve tons of problems - weight, emissions, dynamics...everything. But people just want their big, fat SUVs.

-higher driving position, one sees farther in a SUV than a wagon

-step in height, one mostly go 'down' into a wagon, but go 'straight' into a SUV, people with knee problems appreciate that little touch

-European thinks SUV shape is awkward, but the rest of the world thinks wagons is the awkward one

for comparable sized vehicles, a SUV has much better luggage room and headroom than a wagon, that's not even a contest

-modern SUV are made to handle just as well as a wagon, a Cayenne or a Macan can keep up in a canyon road just as well as any wagons from anyone

-the extra room in a SUV means the driver and passenger has that much more room to stretch during a journey, and they will be that much fresher than traveling in a wagon

-in the old days, there aren't any SUVs, wagons are the compromise that fits, but with the invention of modern SUVs, the wagons have no advantage, hence their demise. Europeans simply just holding onto something they felt familiar while the rest of the world moved on

--

You are forgetting one extremly important aspect for Europeans-width.

Yes, for us it is very important how wide is the car. Just for comparison A6 Avant is about 1870mm, new E class T model 1850mm and Macan is 1920mm. 

Also, Macan offers smaller trunk size and smaller rear seat space then either A6 Avant or E class T model. Also, it Macan GTS faster or superior in drive dynamics to S6 Avant or E43 AMG T model? 

No, Macan GTS is only more expensive with similar options. 

ROW did not moved on. They were seduced by higher seat postion, supposed better overall view and totally false "extra safe feeling" provided by SUV.

Go ahead and test drive X6 M (btw, a great, pretty sporty SUV) against RS6. If you find that X6 M is actually superior in any important regard apart from higher ground clearance I will be very surprised. 

Whoopsy:
    Herbaliser:

-step in height, one mostly go 'down' into a wagon, but go 'straight' into a SUV, people with knee problems appreciate that little touch

-European thinks SUV shape is awkward, but the rest of the world thinks wagons is the awkward one

for comparable sized vehicles, a SUV has much better luggage room and headroom than a wagon, that's not even a contest

-modern SUV are made to handle just as well as a wagon, a Cayenne or a Macan can keep up in a canyon road just as well as any wagons from anyone

-the extra room in a SUV means the driver and passenger has that much more room to stretch during a journey, and they will be that much fresher than traveling in a wagon

-in the old days, there aren't any SUVs, wagons are the compromise that fits, but with the invention of modern SUVs, the wagons have no advantage, hence their demise. Europeans simply just holding onto something they felt familiar while the rest of the world moved on

So you are basically saying that the Cayenne is more comfortable and handles just as well as the Panamera? That a Cayenne Turbo can keep up with a Panamera Turbo with a big boot on a canyon road? I don't think so. Comparing the Cayenne's chassis dynamic to that of a modern sports sedan (SWs) is a stretch. It's like saying that 300kg don't matter. For the last few years I've never thought of taking the Cayenne over the RS6 or the M5 for a long trip.

As for Europeans vs. the rest of the world, If we have to generalize I'd say that Europeans have a bit more sophisticated taste for cars. Most of the cars we discuss on this board are products of this culture. 

Whoopsy:
    Herbaliser:

Smiley There we go - perfectly on the point! 

agree....but many people get a wagon as main car. suv is usually a second car.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691135 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410213 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256260 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235424 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65757 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4746 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858863 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775165 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM