Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Doodle
    --

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Indeed, guys...Doodle is great but many of us have jobs, family, etc. and it is difficult to plan ahead for a very long time.

Maybe we should start a Doodle around April for a July, August event somewhere...

Nothing fancy, just a first meet and greet with some harmless fun driving along a beautiful route and then we can take it further (if we like each other... indecision).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The warm-up for the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KgTHkZtUUg

RC:

Indeed, guys...Doodle is great but many of us have jobs, family, etc. and it is difficult to plan ahead for a very long time.

Maybe we should start a Doodle around April for a July, August event somewhere...

Nothing fancy, just a first meet and greet with some harmless fun driving along a beautiful route and then we can take it further (if we like each other... indecision).

Dont use doodle, instead just set up one specific weekend and however can participate will do. That's the easiest.July, August, etc are vacation peak seasons and probably more difficult than finding a weekend during the side. 

I suggest to use a mountain resort after the skiing seasons closes and before summer starts (April/May). In those days there are less traffic controls and the hotels are easier to handle with a bigger group. I suggest to do it in Bavaria, as the German roads and road controls are more liberal than Austria or Switzerland. We could go to Garmisch Patenkirchen, There are many nice summit you could curve up to. Also, the Highway towards there is without speed limit.

Autobahn is boring, I was rather thinking of passes and nice roads with beautiful views. There isn't much in Germany (Riedbergpass maybe...), I was rather thinking of Austria/Italy. Switzerland is also nice but I am a bit more worried about the police there (not that I plan speeding but when a dozen supercars drive down the streets, they could start paying more attention...). April/May is a bit too cold, many have semi-slicks on their cars, maybe not ideal for that period of time. I agree, July/August may be a bit too packed, so how about June? Not sure about the weather though.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

The Italian side is definitely better, we basically saw no police, once we crossed over to Austria, almost seems like they knew we were coming and out in force doing speed checks, but luckily every time we saw them we were stuck behind some traffic so we went not going super fast. 

--

My 2 favourites of the 12 passes we drove was Passo di Giau and Timmelsjoch. 

For the Timmelsjoch we did it last to go back to Munich, and as luck would have it all 3 convoy merged into one, the sight of 18 Porsches-3 918s, 1 993 Turbo and 14 Turbo S in a roll roaring up the hill is quite something smiley

IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG

Fuel stops are also great sight:

IMG_0600.JPG

--

Whoopsy:

The Italian side is definitely better, we basically saw no police, once we crossed over to Austria, almost seems like they knew we were coming and out in force doing speed checks, but luckily every time we saw them we were stuck behind some traffic so we went not going super fast. 

Thanks for the photos, Nick. Smiley

It is. Smiley Italians love cars, so does the police. Of course they do not take speeding too lightly if you exaggerate but they are not really out there to catch you like for example in Austria or Germany. Germany may not have a general speed limit but there are dozens of speed traps out there every day in Bavaria and they are very determined to catch speeding cars (often, these are private contractors and not the police, this is why they are very eager to "make money").

Never got a ticket in Italy and I am pretty often in North Italy, so this says a lot about Italy. Smiley Also, it seems Italian police needs to "announce" speed traps, this seems to be some sort of law (maybe Dario can shed some light into this), so...

Got a speeding ticket in Austria near Lech/Zuers once because I raced a Swedish 991.1 C4 in my Jeep SRT. Smiley Luckily, I saw the speed trap (automated) in time and was able to brake (still got me with 10 kph or so over the speed limit) but that Swedish guy did at least 160 in that 120 zone, so... Smiley Not sure if Austria sends traffic violation tickets to Sweden but they certainly send them to Germany (there is a reciprocal agreement in place, actually with basically all EU countries right now). Paid 60 EUR plus 15-20 EUR fee or something like that. Not really a problem but it wasn't necessary.

--

Christian, STOP racing on public streets.SmileySmiley

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

nberry:

And eat all the soup Smiley Smiley ...Smiley

--

J.Seven

Whoopsy:

My 2 favourites of the 12 passes we drove was Passo di Giau and Timmelsjoch. 

For the Timmelsjoch we did it last to go back to Munich, and as luck would have it all 3 convoy merged into one, the sight of 18 Porsches-3 918s, 1 993 Turbo and 14 Turbo S in a roll roaring up the hill is quite something smiley

IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG

Fuel stops are also great sight:

IMG_0600.JPG

What a fantastic experience it must be!  Smiley

Wow someone said the TurboS was unbelievable! That's unbelievable! I love mine. Just needs some more boost! 😜
    --

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

For these roads, no, you don't need more power, it has plenty already to break traction, the added power will be wasted until the very top end, which is useless as one doesn't not go 300km/hr on the passes. And when we travel on the autobahn, we mostly do 200km/hr or something to relax and unwind.                      

The brakes are AWESOME! When it was dry, we were routinely doing -1.3g decelerations and then do 1+g acceleration of the hairpins from 1st gear. 

The lead car for my convoy was actually from the area, Lana, very close to Meran where we stayed and he routinely drives these passes just for fun on weekends, so he knows every corner like the back of his hand, as in he will call out short straights like in after another 2 corners and get us ready to pass traffic, we bunch up during those 2 corners and then explodes for the passes together, and continue towards the next.

--

nberry:

Nick, this was a completely empty Autobahn (straight) in Austria and I usually do over 260 kph in the SRT on a regular basis in Germany, so this wasn't exactly racing, just accelerating on a straight line. 

That particular Autobahn basically starts from a red light on a country road, this is why we accelerated both so much.

Speed limit in Austria is 130 kph...

Accident free since my 19th birthday (I am 51 now), also zero points on my license so... Smiley Smiley

--

EnglishManInNY:
    Wow someone said the TurboS was unbelievable! That's unbelievable! I love mine. Just needs some more boost! 😜

No, it just needs a better exhaust/engine sound and an improved interior. Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

For these roads, no, you don't need more power, it has plenty already to break traction, the added power will be wasted until the very top end, which is useless as one doesn't not go 300km/hr on the passes. And when we travel on the autobahn, we mostly do 200km/hr or something to relax and unwind.                      

The brakes are AWESOME! When it was dry, we were routinely doing -1.3g decelerations and then do 1+g acceleration of the hairpins from 1st gear. 

The lead car for my convoy was actually from the area, Lana, very close to Meran where we stayed and he routinely drives these passes just for fun on weekends, so he knows every corner like the back of his hand, as in he will call out short straights like in after another 2 corners and get us ready to pass traffic, we bunch up during those 2 corners and then explodes for the passes together, and continue towards the next.

When we had some "events" in the past in Italy, we always had a lead car driving ahead of the "pack", warning us of possible dangers and incoming traffic (each car had a walkie talkie). Pretty cool system and works very well, great safety feature.

--

RC:
    EnglishManInNY:

No, it just needs a better exhaust/engine sound and an improved interior. Smiley

Yes, the car sounded absolutely shit from the inside. The interior is fine, the 18 way seats holds pretty well once we adjusted it for spirited driving and not cruising. Porsche just need better cupholders, our bottled waters was flying everywhere. And the radio, as in the walkie talkie, too. 

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:

When we had some "events" in the past in Italy, we always had a lead car driving ahead of the "pack", warning us of possible dangers and incoming traffic (each car had a walkie talkie). Pretty cool system and works very well, great safety feature.

Yes, the lead car goes ahead first to report back on oncoming traffic, very useful, but only for the 1st day, as we were spreading out with some safe distances between cars, but once we got to know each other's driving style, and trust each other, we bunch up before passing and basically passed cars as a train of 5-6 Turbo S, then we spread out again.

--

Topspeed:

The warm-up for the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KgTHkZtUUg

Rimac will win. I visited their factory near Zagreb and some of their achievements are pretty amazing. Just, despite been Croat there are some things that can and will rise some eyebrows... 

Concept One is most probably the fastest car from the standstill on the planet currenty. BUT... If you drive from Zagreb till Stuttgart with Concept One and 918 which one will get there sooner? 918 of course.

KresoF1:

Rimac will win. I visited their factory near Zagreb and some of their achievements are pretty amazing. Just, despite been Croat there are some things that can and will rise some eyebrows... 

Concept One is most probably the fastest car from the standstill on the planet currenty. BUT... If you drive from Zagreb till Stuttgart with Concept One and 918 which one will get there sooner? 918 of course.

Didn't a Rimac Concept One recently beat a LaFerrari over the 1/4 mile? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Yes, it did.

Car is not a beauty. It is extremly fast from the standstill. Also, Rimac provided a tech transfer to Koenigsegg.

http://koenigsegg.com/partners/rimac-automobili/

It will be close for sure, very close... 

It's not that hard to beat the record. Just depends on how race/road like they want the car to be. Downforce, tires, and suspension is all that's needed.

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Never got a ticket in Italy and I am pretty often in North Italy, so this says a lot about Italy. Smiley Also, it seems Italian police needs to "announce" speed traps, this seems to be some sort of law (maybe Dario can shed some light into this), so...

--

Mmmmh....yes,in teory they must announce speed traps,but in August i received two speeding tickets from the same day in the highway one before the other of 50 kms,and belive me they were not announced.so....is a question of luck.Smiley

sure italian pollice is not Swiss police or German police for example,but all depends of who you find...And what you are doing.Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

On sept 25th, salomondrin is going to come up with a new video featuring Rimac (an extended and more detailed version of the one posted before).

How does the Rimac behave when it comes to turns? Or is it just an exercise of straight line acceleration as other electric cars? I've heard cool things about them though.

Super Darius:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

--

Mmmmh....yes,in teory they must announce speed traps,but in August i received two speeding tickets from the same day in the highway one before the other of 50 kms,and belive me they were not announced.so....is a question of luck.Smiley

sure italian pollice is not Swiss police or German police for example,but all depends of who you find...And what you are doing.Smiley

Could you provide some insight on where radar traps are on the Autostradas in Italy? Are there hot spots? In Germany they often use parking lots, fuel stations and bridges (overpasses) but they are also using unmarked patrol cars with built-in video recording equipment (speed, distance, etc.). Are there unmarked police cars in Italy with video recording equipment/built-in speed traps?

--

on normal roads you have signs already in italy - on Highways the do "average" Speed measurements - like between Milan and Verona - or Genua and French-coast etc....the rest is mobile as far as I know....

No, usually there are no unmarked police car on Autostrada. On Autostrada they put the device on the parking of fuel stations. Also remember that on those autostrada with Tutor ( A1 for example)  is better not pass under the cameras at a speed higher than 130 km/h, because you don't know when the system is working or not.

On the normal road every radar detector must have a signal before, also the mobile one , if the patrol don't put the signal ( is very small, size of an Ipad pro , they put it on the ground ) the fine will be cancel, it's the law.

art.italy:

Also remember that on those autostrada with Tutor ( A1 for example)  is better not pass under the cameras at a speed higher than 130 km/h, because you don't know when the system is working or not.

+1

the ones i took are two Tutor...the panel don't tell the speed trap is on...instead they were on,and i win the gift.Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM