Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Pulled over - first time

I wonder how often this happens to people on this board. This past Sunday, driving from NYC to Westchester, on the Bruckner (decent road, 4 lanes, 55mph, very light early Sunday morning traffic), valentine on but with city environment, I am not paying attention to the signals.

So, I'm going over the speed limit but not speeding, if you know what I mean, probably between 60 and 70 mph, not swerving or anything, just cruising and passing in the left lane. Valentine signal is up and down due to all the noise (gas stations, fast food places, etc.), so I've hit the mute button. Check the rearview and see a cop car, about 300 yards back, pull into the center lane to let him pass. I figure I'm not speeding, so he's not after me. My mistake. Lights on, pulls in behind me as we both swing to the shoulder.

At this point, nervous but not terrified since I wasn't really going that fast. Car (atlas 997c2s coupe) is outfitted with all the anti-ticket "goodwill" money can buy. New Jersey LE (law enforcement charity) plates, NJ PBA sticker, I have a mini-shield on my wallet (brother-in-law is an officer in NY) and a trio of PBA and PBA-type cards.

Radio off, valentine pulled down, windows open, BOTH hands high on the steering wheel. The cop says "You slowed down when you saw me get on, didn't you?" I didn't and said so, that I only pulled over whe I saw him coming up, to let him pass. He asked for my license, which I pulled out after making a big show of displaying the mini-shield and my best PBA card. He asks where I was going, yada yada yada, and then he says, "this is a nice car." Yeah, I replied. "What year?" 2005 "Nice, I had an old m5, thing used to kick ass on the road," he says, "...and me and a buddy put twin turbo's on a 7-series sedan, talk about fast...but I always wanted one of these. You have a turbo in here?" Nope, as I began to explain the difference between the S and the base model, no 997 turbo till next year, and so it went. 15 minutes on the side of the road talking to a very friendly NYC police officer who likes cars. I even offered to let him drive it, if i could follow in his car with the lights on (he declined, but that would have been a hell of a story.)

Anyway, he handed my license back and said "Have a nice day." Now, it's my experience that if you are going to get a break from a cop, who sees that I'm not a crazy kid in a fast car, I was driving safely and IF he clocked me speeding (which I doubt) he saw that I was within a tolerable range, light traffic, and otherwise a well intentioned, charitable and supportive citizen, usually at least he would say, "Take it easy out there...have a nice day." this guy just said goodbye and that was that.

So, I figured I was saved by a combination of all of the above, and the fact that the car is soooo damned sweet, he just wanted a look. I laugh at all the people who passed us snickering that I was getting what I deserved when in fact all I was doing was rapping with a like minded policeman about how great Porsche's (and other German marques) are.

Thought I would share, I'm sure this happens often enough (but not as often as people who get pulled over would like). Drive safe y'all.

Re: Pulled over - first time

Looks like you didn't have the real ultimate cloaking set-up for your vehicle.

You need the Valentine One integrated into your rear-view mirror (indicators on the lower right hand of the mirror) with the audio alerts passed through the sound system. You also need integrated laser jammers to protect you from "instant on" on your front and rear. Check out www.aidesign.com and contact them about "cloaking" your car. It will cost you 4K to get the system done, and 3 days. This includes the $125 an hour labor.

Good luck!

Cool story, thx for sharing

yeah, good story. happy ending.

But still it's a form of harrassment maybe? He should have told you why he stopped you. NOT asked you why you think he stopped you. Or even asking you if you slowed down; he should have told you were speeding ahd he saw you slow down. IOW, he was fishing for a reason to give you a ticket; didn't have actual evidence! THAT's not how it's supposd to go. He's supposed to have a definite reason to stop you. Am I right?

I hate those ***** when they're out to nail non-insane speeders. All other times they are great.

I was pulled over recently...to be honest I think I got picked out because I'm a young guy in an expensive car driving slightly over the speed limit. (80mph or so on a 65mph) but after a few chit chat and seeing that I am a responsible upstanding slightly speeding gentle 180+ mile an hour sports car owner.... phew that was long... he let me go.

A mix of mood and calm are the factors I think... you must be calm and let things unfold and hope that cop is in a good mood.

This cop just wanted to check out the car IMO. Fortunately you did not give him anything to go on and ticket you for. I don't envy you guys that live in these areas where the cops have a lot of attitude. Here in CA they do but they are so vastly out numbered, plus there are a lot of nice cars anyway, that they don't really bother with you for stupid reasons. Glad it all worked out.

Quote:
    wmondo said:
    I wonder how often this happens to people on this board. This past Sunday, driving from NYC to Westchester, ...

Attitude, attitude. Have a good attitude and you might be spared. Have a bad attitude and you definetely will walk away with a ticket. Nice story.

wmondo,

You did all the right things , and you were lucky too.

My experience is that if you are polite, respectful AND keep talking you'll likely increase your odds of not getting a ticket from a decent cop.

Quote:
    vtrader said:
    Quote:
    wmondo said:
    I wonder how often this happens to people on this board. This past Sunday, driving from NYC to Westchester, ...

Attitude, attitude. Have a good attitude and you might be spared. Have a bad attitude and you definetely will walk away with a ticket. Nice story.

I got pulled over by Costa Mesa, CA police a couple of hours after picking up my 997S last November. I was really friendly to the cop and got off with a warning. No brainer if you ask me.

thats happened to me a few times

in the small towns in fairfield county, the cops tend to get to know you.

usually many are car enthusiats and chat it up before telling you to take it easy.

sometimes when i'm REALLY over the limit, they don't let me off ;p

Nice story - it's a shame it doesn't happen more like that over here. They're so reliant on the automatic cameras that take no account of the conditions etc. Just be nice to be pulled over by a real person for once...

Agreed - in the UK it'd be nice to actually meet the person who is prosecuting you. Those computer-generated letters in the mail informing you of the offence three weeks later really suck.

Same thing happened to me with my 996

The cop didn't fawn all over the car but was just very friendly about it and I was very polite and everything... just be nice to the cops when they pull you over. You have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain. I pull the keys out, put both hands on the wheel, turn the radio off, say yes sir no sir etc... I was pulled over for running 3 stop signs at 4am on my way to work and the same plan worked. For the record I didn't BLOW the signs I did the CA roll and it was 4am with zero traffic... but I guess the cop saw me do this with about 5 stop signs somehow !!! Anyway - he let me go as well !!

The $ 100,000 PBA Card

Over here it's called a NYC Bus Stop. But the fact still remains that cops choose their tickets wisely. A Mustang doing 70 mph = a mailed check. While a Porsche doing 70 = A Lawyer, Discovery, and 30 minutes of a Judges and Prosecutors Court time. If the cop should lose, they do catch some heat.

jb

Quote:
    MMD said:
    yeah, good story. happy ending.

But still it's a form of harrassment maybe? He should have told you why he stopped you. NOT asked you why you think he stopped you. Or even asking you if you slowed down; he should have told you were speeding ahd he saw you slow down. IOW, he was fishing for a reason to give you a ticket; didn't have actual evidence! THAT's not how it's supposd to go. He's supposed to have a definite reason to stop you. Am I right?

I hate those ***** when they're out to nail non-insane speeders. All other times they are great.

Jeez, calm down a bit. No doubt you would have been confrontational and finished up with a ticket.....!

Well done WMONDO.

Quote:
    Gaz said:
    Agreed - in the UK it'd be nice to actually meet the person who is prosecuting you. Those computer-generated letters in the mail informing you of the offence three weeks later really suck.

Trust me, being pulled over by a traffic cop in the UK is not a fantastic experience. Last happened to me nearly 3 and a half years ago on a sunny Sunday, in light traffic on a coned section of roadworks on a main A road. Being a Sunday there were no roadworkers about. I was in an X5 and was being followed by what I thought was a tail gater in a maroon Volvo estate for some distance. I was doing 50 in the 40 limit and increased speed to around 58 to put a little distance between myself and this car. Next thing I know the blue lights appear in the front grille. He pulled me over and started the usual crap about driving at an inappropriate speed in roadworks. I realised that he was being an officious a$$hole and had no intention of letting me off so I replied that I was concerned that he was travelling dangerously close to the rear of my vehicle and I thought he might have been a driver under the influence of drink or drugs. I had increased speed to get safely away from him as he evidently was not going to pass me. His face was a picture. Almost worth the 3 penalty points for that alone. Wish I'd had a camera. He did me for doing an average of 52mph in a 40mph zone if my memory serves me correctly.

So beware your "friendly" UK traffic cop. They have quotas to meet (I know this for a fact as an ex girlfriend of mine was a police oficer who saw the daily targets being issued to traffic cops). If you get pulled over and you have been speeding you are very, very unlikely to get off with it.

GAZ, surely no problem if it is three weeks later when you get the letter, don't they still have an obligation to notify you of prosecution within 14 days or the case dies!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    808999 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450503 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267784 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91018 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7886 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888659 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837950 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM