Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche 963

--

Unfortunately it has had a ignominious start.

Why?

I believe Spyderidol is referring to the car not being 100% Porsche.

It's a Multimatic chassis with Porsche putting the finishing touches. And the hybrid system will be from Williams Advanced Engineering and Bosch.

At least Porsche is the only one using Multimatic, Acura and Alpine will be on Oreca, BMW and Cadillac are on Dallara 

I think most of us would have prefer Porsche build their own car and entered in the Hypercar category, but running LHDh is a lot cheaper for Porsche.  And Porsche itself isn't actually running the 'factory' team, it will be run by Penske. 

--

Thx.

Probably should be on another thread, but just had a crazy experience with my 992 GTS. I was driving very slowly, and had a violent blowout on my right front tire. Car lurched uncontrollably to the right into a small ditch and front bumper damaged. Car has been towed to the shop, I’ll ask the service folks there about what might have punctured the tire. Anybody else have that type of violent blowout and loss of control? 

I've had several flats on 997/991 but never a blow out on such low profile and hard carcass tires yes... glad you are ok no

- I was actually referring to its rather shabby performance at the Roar before the 24.

Although the Roar is a practice/training session a week before the actual race, it will have a Qualifying session (today).

The 963 has not performed well, and has been roundly beaten in every session (bar 1 which was wet)by the Acura's.

The number 6 Porsche even went as far as to have suspension failure in one session and then have a failing front wheel bearing in the next session. This after more than 32,000Km of testing.

I have been paying attention to the language that is used by Laudenbach during his interviews, and as a Porsche fan it is worrisome to say the least.

He talks about "teams getting used to not dominating". He talks about "not having a peaky car that is fast over one lap but instead focusing on a car that drives well over a long stint". 

There is no disputing that a car must be drivable, but above all it needs to be quick. The 919, 962,956, RS Spyder, 917 were all very quick....and also drivable!

I hope that I'm wrong, but I am not at all optimistic on the future success of the 963 . Lets see.

Oh and BTW - I have examined the data and the Porsche's were not even faster than the Acura's over a longer period. Their average lap times are slower. Even if one looks at best sector times and creates the "ideal lap", the Porsches are still slower.

For those that want tp follow qualifying:

Qualifying Race - 18:25 to 20:00 UK  Time ( +1)

Listen live - : http://imsaradio.com

Live Timing - : http://bit.ly/3kDz7mb

Watch live - : http://IMSA.tv

Damn Smiley

--

There is no try. Just do.

Am I missing something, but it looks like Nick Tandy in the 963 is turning the fastest laps. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

It hasn't started yet. what are you watching/seeing?

Tandy set the fastest lap yesterday in night practice , but it was in the rain and hardly no one went out due to a lack of spare parts for these new cars.

Must have been last night…

Fastest time set over the 5 sessions for each manufacturer:

1.  Acura - 1:35.0
    2. BMW - 1:35.4
    3. Porsche - 1:35.5
    4. Cadillac - 1:35.6

Spyderidol:

- I was actually referring to its rather shabby performance at the Roar before the 24.

Although the Roar is a practice/training session a week before the actual race, it will have a Qualifying session (today).

The 963 has not performed well, and has been roundly beaten in every session (bar 1 which was wet)by the Acura's.

The number 6 Porsche even went as far as to have suspension failure in one session and then have a failing front wheel bearing in the next session. This after more than 32,000Km of testing.

I have been paying attention to the language that is used by Laudenbach during his interviews, and as a Porsche fan it is worrisome to say the least.

He talks about "teams getting used to not dominating". He talks about "not having a peaky car that is fast over one lap but instead focusing on a car that drives well over a long stint". 

There is no disputing that a car must be drivable, but above all it needs to be quick. The 919, 962,956, RS Spyder, 917 were all very quick....and also drivable!

I hope that I'm wrong, but I am not at all optimistic on the future success of the 963 . Lets see.

Oh and BTW - I have examined the data and the Porsche's were not even faster than the Acura's over a longer period. Their average lap times are slower. Even if one looks at best sector times and creates the "ideal lap", the Porsches are still slower.

Ah my bad. But after posting then had a look at what's happening at the ROAR I had suspected you meant the performance or lack of from the car.

I read about their setbacks but I remained optimistic as even the 919 wasn't all conquering the first year it came out. There were teething problems. 

I am actually more concerned about how the LMDh and the LMh cars gonna be balanced, will the LMDh even be competitive against the LMh cars at Le Mans and WEC races.

Pure performance of the LMDh cars will be from the software tuning. System output is capped at 480-520kW, with 50kW of that from the hybrid system. And everyone is running the exact same Williams hybrid system. Call it nominal 500kW output for the race car. The gas engine is fully capable of make that much by itself, so it is normally running detuned, and the ECU jacked up the power output when they are charging up the battery at the expense of extra fuel burn on the straights. Putting aside aero and cornering abilities, engine tuning and how charging is deployed will be the key differentiator among competitors.

Now if the 963 can run slightly longer stints, while being not much slower, that advantage will add up over the course of a race. 

--

Ok. They have surprised me. IMSA just allowed them a short 15 minute session before Qualls. The porsches were quick, but the Acuras will have the legs on them . I did see a marked improvement however.

Don't forget the LMDh perfs are caped by the BoP.

Why should Porsche show they have a fast car if they know they will be penalised for the race ?

The only thing that matters is what car will be the first to hit the checkered flag on sunday...

--

I remember when sex was safe and motor racing was dangerous...

Fm8HLdGXgAUhKTQ.jpg

While waiting for their 963 delivery, JDC-Miller is running a LMP3 car with this on the side........

--

OK. Porsche impressed me. They improved immensely over the 3 days.

So comparing pole lap data between the # 60 Acura  and the # 7 Porsche is quite surprising.

The #7 Porsche was quicker in S1 and S3 . Their time loss was in S2 . Im trying to confirm the actual sectors on a track map. I think sector 2 includes the bus stop.

Nasr impressed me.

All in all, not as bad as I thought. My bad! (thank God)

Let’s be optimistic about it indecision

Pre-ordered this in anticipation: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/porsche-963-76916

--

There is no try. Just do.

But honestly, Rolex 24 is just a side show, the main event will be Sebring in March, where the 963s will meet up with the LMh for the first time to see how they stacked up. 

--

Anybody going to Sebring?  My son and I will go if Porsche offers a good VIP package.  Any info on a package?

I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst.

I just don't see the ACO allowing a LMDh anywhere near the top step of the podium at Le Mans. Once again, I hope I'm thoroughly wrong.

Spyderidol:

I just don't see the ACO allowing a LMDh anywhere near the top step of the podium at Le Mans. Once again, I hope I'm thoroughly wrong.

On paper, both classes are 'sort of' equal. Same total system output (500kW) and same weight.

But the LMh cars have free rein on aero and also benefits of AWD. They gonna be monsters out of corners. That's basically where all the gains will be coming from.

LMh cars aren't compulsory to have hybrids systems, so their gas engines can make the whole 500kW and then adjusted down to account for the hybrid output, that's a great advantage on software tuning. 

Porsche knew that from reading the rulebook, yet they still chooses to do LMDh, there had to be a reason, outside of cost. 

--

Wonderbar:

Anybody going to Sebring?  My son and I will go if Porsche offers a good VIP package.  Any info on a package?

Sorry most of who I knew at PCNA are all gone, sort of the same at PMNA.

Would VIP package be coming from PCNA or PMNA?Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

On paper, both classes are 'sort of' equal. Same total system output (500kW) and same weight.

But the LMh cars have free rein on aero and also benefits of AWD. They gonna be monsters out of corners. That's basically where all the gains will be coming from.

LMh cars aren't compulsory to have hybrids systems, so their gas engines can make the whole 500kW and then adjusted down to account for the hybrid output, that's a great advantage on software tuning. 

Porsche knew that from reading the rulebook, yet they still chooses to do LMDh, there had to be a reason, outside of cost. 

Reason: Sales. Porsche wanted to have a business case to go racing and to sell cars to customers. They wanted them simple 
    enough to be able to do this.

Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

On paper, both classes are 'sort of' equal. Same total system output (500kW) and same weight.

Porsche knew that from reading the rulebook, yet they still chooses to do LMDh, there had to be a reason, outside of cost. 

Reason: Sales. Porsche wanted to have a business case to go racing and to sell cars to customers. They wanted them simple enough to be able to do this

That is the JDC-Miller livery for their upcoming 963

Spyderidol:
    Whoopsy:
    Spyderidol:

Reason: Sales. Porsche wanted to have a business case to go racing and to sell cars to customers. They wanted them simple enough to be able to do this

So basically it's just about money first. No about winning. Smiley

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    777031 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441639 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262749 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260911 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85168 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5547 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880612 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815817 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM