Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Carbon Fiber body panels

Only the front fender flares and floor boards are made out of carbon fiber This info is from http://www.chevrolet.com

Re: No Way I Would Pay 59K For A Chevrolet

Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Or you could save a ton of money and get new Shelby GT500 Mustang for $40K and change with a rumored 450-500HP and a 12.5 second 1/4 mile.......$25K less than a Z06.

Really, it's all about which car speaks to you the most in all areas that you value the most. For me it isn't the Z06 (looks alone drove me away), or the GT500 (one four letter word - FORD), and the verdict is still out on the Cayman till I see a road test or two.

You can't posibly compare a GT500 with a C6 Z06. The Z06 has been tuned at racetracks, has extreme racing technology and weighs several hundred pounds less.

A base C6 with a cheap mods would probably be more the correct competition for the GT500. And it would cost about the same.

People buying mustangs care almost only about acceleration. People seriously looking at a Z06 shouldn't care that much about drag racing.

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    Quote:
    MikeN said:
    Or you could save a ton of money and get new Shelby GT500 Mustang for $40K and change with a rumored 450-500HP and a 12.5 second 1/4 mile.......$25K less than a Z06.

Really, it's all about which car speaks to you the most in all areas that you value the most. For me it isn't the Z06 (looks alone drove me away), or the GT500 (one four letter word - FORD), and the verdict is still out on the Cayman till I see a road test or two.

You can't posibly compare a GT500 with a C6 Z06. The Z06 has been tuned at racetracks, has extreme racing technology and weighs several hundred pounds less.

A base C6 with a cheap mods would probably be more the correct competition for the GT500. And it would cost about the same.

People buying mustangs care almost only about acceleration. People seriously looking at a Z06 shouldn't care that much about drag racing.

Oh really?.....I can compare anything to anything if I so choose.

But seriously, most Z06 proponents rave on about 505HP and the numbers.....then why not consider the GT500 at a MUCH lower price? No, we're not talking any mods here.....just stock American muscle vs. stock American muscle. If it's purely going to be a street driven car then why not consider it?? If it's for the race track the Z06 *would* be a better choice.

Owners of Z06's don't care about drag racing??? Just about EVERY Z06 owner I've come across can't wait to drag race....I've got one of them in my department. He drag races out of the parking lot each day.....until about two months ago when he drag raced out of the lot, lost control of the rear, hit a curb and took a 10" chuck out of his nice Z06 wheel.....one of the funniest things I ever saw.

I do agree that some of the new Z06 owners will be more refined as the price has moved up quite a bit. The guy mentioned above was planning on getting one, but he can't afford it now. To bad, I was really looking forward to watching him in it!

Fact of the matter is....(and I can freely admit it without pain)....

The new Z06 will be a fabulous car, but simply won't be for everyone. Take a new Ferrari F430 vs. the new Z06.....the Z06 has more HP, will be faster and is cheaper. So will Ferrari have any trouble selling F430's?.....not on your life......and if someone gave me an F430 and a new Z06.....guess which one would be on the selling block?....bye-bye '06

I simply can't understand why all these comparisons are being made in the first place. If you are in love with the Z06 and all that it offers.....then by all means buy one and be happy. Do you think Porsche is going to be cryin' in their beer over it?.....not on your life, and they won't be changing their highly successful strategy anytime in the near future just because of it. You can't MAKE everyone a Z06 driver, I can appreciate it, but won't be buying or driving one......and that's just fine with me.

My only point is that, IDEALLY, the effort put into the Z06 was aimed at more than people comparing it to a GT500, which is basically a Mustang GT with more power.

The Z06, like the GT3, is a car for the track, not for the drag strip. Though I am sure it would do well there also.

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    My only point is that, IDEALLY, the effort put into the Z06 was aimed at more than people comparing it to a GT500, which is basically a Mustang GT with more power.

The Z06, like the GT3, is a car for the track, not for the drag strip. Though I am sure it would do well there also.

I totally agree. I think the fact of the matter is though that most of the previous Z06s (and probably a lot of GT3s) never even came close to a track......just bought as status symbols. If your not using all that HP at the track, then where are you using it?.....drag racing?, street racing?, not using it at all?....Then why have it?

Most of the present Z06 owners I've spoken with are all about the street race.....they can't stop talking about all their conquests,.....the fast and the furious crowd. I sincerely hope the new version has a little more responsible following......it really deserves it.

I think here GT3 owners DO put them on the track...
    If not, they'd own a Turbo I guess.
    I see 10 turbo for 1 GT3 in Switzerland.

Re: 505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

Quote:
    napo said:
    Quote:
    Grant said:
    Carbon Fiber body panels

Only the front fender flares and floor boards are made out of carbon fiber This info is from http://www.chevrolet.com

Yeah, I meant some panels, not all. Still impressive...

Quote:
    MKW said:
    About $71K with every avail option - I've seen loaded 987 Boxster S's in dealerships with MSRPs that high but with 220 fewer HP and about the same weight !

Yes, but there's no reason not to just order the base model. You get everything you need for $65k, unlike the Porsches where you don't even get floor mats...

So does anybody know what Magnussen's lap time was on the 'ring?

This crazy thread asks one really interesting question: if the Z06 will outperform a CaymanS, at a fraction of the cost, why would anyone get the Porsche? The answer has come down to interior quality (check out the treads about squeaks and rattles in the new 997), road feel (has anyone driven the Z06 yet?), and the old "foreign cars are better than American" (yet in objective racing competition, that seems to not be so clear).

This is a great question that asks us all why we love & defend Porsche so much. I'm pretty sure that I'd get the Cayman S myself - I just wonder why. I suspect the answer has to do more with image than most are willing to admit.

correction

"if the Z06 will outperform a CaymanS, at a fraction of the cost"

The Z06 costs the same if not more than the Cayman S, depending on options.

Quote:

This crazy thread asks one really interesting question: if the Z06 will outperform a CaymanS, at a fraction of the cost, why would anyone get the Porsche? The answer has come down to interior quality (check out the treads about squeaks and rattles in the new 997), road feel (has anyone driven the Z06 yet?), and the old "foreign cars are better than American" (yet in objective racing competition, that seems to not be so clear).

This is a great question that asks us all why we love & defend Porsche so much. I'm pretty sure that I'd get the Cayman S myself - I just wonder why. I suspect the answer has to do more with image than most are willing to admit.

I know the new ZO6 will out perform a Cayman S. It will come down to 1.) Is this a concern for you? 2.) What driving experience do you prefer. Porsche has never been about "best bang for buck". If you want higher performing car.."You have to pay to play" with Porsche. My whole beef is Porsche could give us just a littleee more. Say 320HP Cayamn S and bump all the other models up a tad bit too.

Re: correction

Quote:
    mark34 said:
    "if the Z06 will outperform a CaymanS, at a fraction of the cost"

The Z06 costs the same if not more than the Cayman S, depending on options.

Woops - it obviously costs a similar amount to the Cayman S, but is a fraction of the cost of a 997 C2S, which it wil also outperform. I had initially hoped to inclue both thoughts in the post, but then decided to keep it clean, and I didn't edit properly.

From what I understand, the Z06 may outperform the GT3 and the Turbo as well, but that remains to be seen.

I still stand by the post.

Quote:
    Silver Bullet said:

I agree, pretty silly thread. You could also say the Z06 will outperform a Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lambo, Bentley (replace with any other vehicle)......so why in the world would anyone buy anything else?.....by all means lets all drive Vettes. As I said before does anyone here think there will be Ferrari F430s sitting on the lot because the Z06 is a better performer?? Not a chance. If the Z06 is THE thing to get then why are new 997Ss so hard to come by?

Fact is Vettes are not for everyone no matter how much performance you put into one. Not everyone likes to drive or even look at one. They are very common.....even compared to any Porsche.....as I see dozens each day.

I have driven two new Vettes and 3 previous generation (1 Z06), and yes they are fast and perform well.....do I want one?....nope. I would rather have a Cayman (probably), M3, 996, or a few other choices just on looks alone before I would choose a Vette as a daily driver, as a track car maybe, but nothing more. While the Z06 will be an awesome performing car......I still don't want one, it just doesn't do "it" for me. Is that just so hard for some people to understand?

I did just drive a C6 with Z51 package and the road feel was lousy (very numb steering like a video game) - the Z06 better be ALOT better...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    I did just drive a C6 with Z51 package and the road feel was lousy (very numb steering like a video game) - the Z06 better be ALOT better...

The entire dance of steering, pedals and shifter lacks precision.

When you hammer it, it gets better.

I agree on the Z06, it better feel radically different !

Quote:
    MikeN said:While the Z06 will be an awesome performing car......I still don't want one, it just doesn't do "it" for me. Is that just so hard for some people to understand?

I think what's interesting to try to understand is just what "it" is.

Drove the vette, and I felt cramped

That was enough to make me want to walk away. Buyers of these higher price (2x above national average price) cars are very finicky. Simple thing will make them walk away. Logical reasoning doesn't suffice the purchase either. For many, you buy the item because it makes you feel good. For some, that is 0-60. For others, it is the curvy body. For others, it is the bright headlights that help you see around the corner because you're paranoid (or a little hard on sight).

Personally, I just jumped from hanging on the audi board due to a renewed interest in Porsche... specifically the Cayman. I hate soft top cars, and ignored the Boxster. However, the curvy body with a mid-engine has piqued my interest... the same interest that got my to give CVT a shot on the A4. Personally, if they could get DSG on the Cayman, I'd be totally sold on getting it. When is Porsche going to offer that transmission?

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/3/24 3:40 PM
    watt
    802580 1803
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448364 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265914 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89912 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6389 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885313 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832020 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM