Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Performance Chip

I am about to take delivery of my CT. I'm interested in increasing the performance of it. What is everyone's experience and opinions on Performance Chips from Gemballa or Techart? Are there any others I should consider?

The Gemballa unit says it will increase power output to 530HP.
    http://www.gemballa.com/Teile/G55/g55_mot_e.html

Is this realistic? A single chip upgrade will take it to 530HP?? Why bother with the Factory $20k upgrade to only 500HP? I'm not bashing just wondering.

Techart kit says it will boost power up to 510HP.
    http://www.techart.de/techart/showcategory.asp?cat=65&lang=en&prog=44

I think the Gemballa unit is $3k-$4k. Does anyone know how much the Techart unit is?

Thanks for your help and advice in advance!

Re: Performance Chip

530hp you need airfilters, exhaust. Not just the chip itself. I think RC is the one who is going to bash you LOL get the powerkit for warranty, if you are not afraid of warranty then get the one Gemballa or Techart offers.

I'm sure he will bash me from the posts I've seen him reply in! No problem I can take opinions positive or negative. I'm just wondering if the upgrades from Gemballa and Techart are realistic in power gains.

Thanks

Quote:
    TurboTuner.com said:
    I'm sure he will bash me from the posts I've seen him reply in! No problem I can take opinions positive or negative. I'm just wondering if the upgrades from Gemballa and Techart are realistic in power gains.

Thanks

Bashing sounds so negative...I'm just trying to help you guys since I'm living in a radius of around 200 km of four major Porsche Tuners. You can imagine how many people I know who bought their products and who were able to provide their experience. A lot of Porsches drive around here in Bavaria...

Gaining up to REAL 70 HP through a motronic update only is possible. BUT: I've seen with my own eyes two broken Cayenne Turbo engines and, surprise, surprise, both were tuned.
    This may be related to a general "problem" with Cayenne tuning: no Tuner has actually experience with the new Cayenne Turbo engine and a lot of software mods were done by Audi Tuners who just didn't have much experience with Porsche engines. And these base software kits made it to most Porsche tuners who maybe tweaked a few parameters but the base programming was there.
    Since Porsche offers the powerkit, some Tuners apparently got more clever and started to use the Porsche software as a basis for their software mods. Unfortunately this software also includes new parameters for the suspension black box for example. So I wouldn't be surprised to see problems with that too.

And finally: in my opinion, the standard brake system of the Cayenne Turbo can hardly "take" the power of the 450 HP. I highly recommend the powerkit because of the improved brake system. And you also get a sportier ride and a more direct steering feel too due to the modified suspension (not only software!!!).

And last but not least: the Cayenne Turbo engine is very new. Nobody has really a clue how good or bad and how reliable it is. So it might be a good idea to have a warranty for the engine...just in case.
    People should have their dealers look up the price tag of a new engine in their parts computers, just a friendly hint.

And if Porsche finds out about the tuned engine software, you're busted. There is NO WAY how to hide the tuning from Porsche, if they want to find out (and they surely want to if they have to pay for a new engine), they can find out. The claims of some Tuners that their engine software mods are undetectable and can be totally reversed are a LIE.
    Even if the old software is used again to hide a software mod, the maximum boost pressure for example of the tuned software is SAVED without the possibility to erase it.
    Just one example. So if Porsche checks all black boxes and finds out that you had a max. boost pressure of 0.8 instead of 0.65, you're BUSTED. Not only the warranty for the engine is gone but the warranty for the drivetrain, gearbox, etc. as well.

The best example is the case of a fellow 996 Turbo owner who asked me if he should tune his car a few years ago. His tuner claimed that the tuning (software only) is undetectable, it was some sort of piggy box.
    I advised against it but he did it anyway. Result: his engine broke down after half a year or so and Porsche sent an engineer or technician to his dealer to check out what happened. Result: around 50000 US Dollars engine repair/replacement cost for our fellow forum member. Ouch.

So please don't look upon my posts as bashing, I'm just trying to help and to show you a broader view of the whole situation. You can do what you want, it is your money.
    Just don't say I didn't warn you. Of course you can be lucky and NOTHING happens and you'll drive around happy.

BTW: avoid tuners who promise everything, honesty is very seldom in that business. We visited Sportec in Switzerland (a report will follow as soon as we have some time for it) and we were impressed with their skills. And the best part: they didn't try to tell us BS, they told us exactly what we already knew...and expected from an honest business man.
    So if your tuner tells you that his tuning is completely undetectable, bust him. If your tuner tells you that he got his software directly from Porsche and this is some sort of prototype software, bust him. If the tuner tells you that the software has been developped by Porsche but they don't want to make it public or he got it from a Porsche employee, bust him. If a tuner tells you how good his relationship to Porsche and the employees is, bust him.

I think you get my point...

And also avoid "mail software", meaning: they send you an engine black box and you send in yours in return.
    The ONLY way is to have YOUR engine black box modified.
    Much better: to leave the car at the Tuner and the Tuner modified the engine software INDIVIDUALLY on the dyno and based on your car. Only VERY few tuners actually do that.

Have a nice day...

Thats a very good point on the fact that tuners don't really have a good grip on the reliability of the engine and what boost levels the engine/turbo can handle. Based on your opinion I'll probably just wait it out. Your right I better stick with my warranty.

I'm assuming basic bolt on's are no problems? Like bypass pipes, muffler, air filter etc?

Thanks for the post RC.

Quote:
    RC saidAnd finally: in my opinion, the standard brake system of the Cayenne Turbo can hardly "take" the power of the 450 HP. I highly recommend the powerkit because of the improved brake system.

Can't agree more. Although I only have a CS, the brakes dont't offer the same performance as the rest of the car. Must be even worse with the turbo. I would upgrade the brakes before anything else.

I knew you were gonna get a lecture from our daddy here!! LOL!!!!!!!

Yo the MAN, RC That's what I love about this forum!
    Caveat Emptor : Buyers beware

FWIW, I also drove the RUF Cayenne Turbo package (very briefly), before ordering the PowerKit. Retail was $26k for engine mods only, with promised 550 hp. Acceleration was very impressive, but, to me, the CTT with PowerKit seemed closer to the RUF than to the stock CTT, and the RUF doesn't do anything for the brakes or suspension. Obviously, this thread addresses much less pricey upgrades, but the warranty issues are a big factor, so I came down on the same side as RC.

Quote:
    TurboTuner.com said:
    Thats a very good point on the fact that tuners don't really have a good grip on the reliability of the engine and what boost levels the engine/turbo can handle. Based on your opinion I'll probably just wait it out. Your right I better stick with my warranty.

I'm assuming basic bolt on's are no problems? Like bypass pipes, muffler, air filter etc?

Thanks for the post RC.

There can be a problem with bypass pipes, mufflers, airfilters IF you have an engine failure and Porsche investigates the whole thing. BUT: in this case, the chances that you loose your engine warranty are less likeable because Porsche would really have to prove that it has been caused by the bypass pipes, muffler, airfilter, etc. Of course if you live in a desert region, I wouldn't necessarily use aftermarket airfilters but otherwise, I don't really think there is a serious problem with the warranty. Unless of course your aftermarket cats for example "blow up" and destroy the engine (it happened before).

BTW: clever idea with that user name but as soon as there is content on that website, you need to change it (or we do it for you). We're a non-commercial private site, no SPAM tolerated.

Usually dealers don't care about modifications, unless they are a-holes. But you will get into trouble when the Porsche rep is in the dealer investigating your car.

Quote:
    DEETZ said:
    Usually dealers don't care about modifications, unless they are a-holes. But you will get into trouble when the Porsche rep is in the dealer investigating your car.

Right. And if the engine for example is damaged, Porsche asks the dealer for a complete PiWiS readout including some data which the dealer isn't able to "translate", for example certain codes which mean nothing to the dealer but could mean a lot to Porsche. The next step would sending the local rep or even an engineer to check out what happened.
    And this is where the dealer jumps in and starts to care a lot about the car...because the dealer has to pay for the parts to Porsche and then he has to get the money back from the customer.

RC,

Are there any such muffler, bypass, etc. kits that have really been shown to be of much help with the Cayenne Turbo? My previous experience with other turbocharged vehicles is that blindly dropping the exhaust pressure can do more harm than good. I've heard a few on the Cayenne that certainly SOUND nice, but I wonder about the true performance benefit.

Thanks for the info. Should I go bypass who has the best kit?

RC: yes! :D thank God my best friend works in the dealership LOL

Check the Rinspeed option. I had the exhaust and the power upgrade from them and the car rides great. The difference in performance is noticeable and the sound is still very civilized but you can finally hear the V8.
    silvio

Quote:
    sigs said:
    RC,

Are there any such muffler, bypass, etc. kits that have really been shown to be of much help with the Cayenne Turbo? My previous experience with other turbocharged vehicles is that blindly dropping the exhaust pressure can do more harm than good. I've heard a few on the Cayenne that certainly SOUND nice, but I wonder about the true performance benefit.

You're completely right. Especially on turbo charged cars, a change of backpressure/etc. can have a serious impact regarding power/torque output. The problem is always that although people think that they gained power, in 90% of all cases, they actually lost power. But the loud exhaust, maybe in conjunction with sport airfilters, provide a very sporty engine/exhaust sound, giving the false impression that the car is actually faster.

I would be happy if most available aftermarket exhaust systems for the Cayenne Turbo wouldn't cause a power/torque loss especially at certain rev levels, I really don't think that they provide a power increase. I doubt it.

I have my problems especially with PSE-like clap exhaust systems for the turbo.
    And maybe a last word: the 50+ HP power increase of the powerkit enhances the acceleration from 0-100 kph (62 mph) by 0.3 seconds only. From 0-200 kph (125 mph), I heard about an improvement of around 2 seconds. Now imagine how much of a performane gain you get if an exhaust system adds another 10 HP or so to the Cayenne. Ridiculous. Anything less than 30 HP will be hardly felt, thrown out money, especially if you live in a speed limited country.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/14/24 3:43 AM
    rhino
    802723 1804
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448412 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    265944 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    89953 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6427 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

885417 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    832369 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM