Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Why don't Porsche drivers make eye contact?!

I just took a lovely drive from Austin to Llano, via 1431. Saw another '05 Boxster coming in the other direction, top down (only the second other '05 I have seen on the road). I waved at him and got no response. Perhaps I caught him off guard. Earlier this week however I parked up next to a black '05 Boxster at a BBQ place and the driver was still in the car. I got out and was going to say hi/nice car, but he just would not make eye contact! What's up with these Porsche drivers??! Every other sportscar I've had (Lotus, TVR, MG, Aston - even the old Mini Cooper), I've had waves/headlight flashes from other drivers of the same car or even the same make, and usually a conversation if we parked together. I thought that maybe 911 drivers were ignoring me because they think the Boxster is below them, but I was very surprised that someone with exactly the same car as me would not at least nod/smile, esp. considering the '05's are still quite rare on the roads around here. I thought Porsches were enthusiast's cars! It seems like perhaps they're still just a status symbol to a lot of people. That makes me sad.

Re: Why don't Porsche drivers make eye contact?!

Nah... don't sweat it girlracer they probably get intimidated by your looks+Porsche. I try not throw a peace sign whenever I can to a driver in the same make... although turbo guys doesn't seem as welcoming

definitely not true everywhere.

there are MANY enthusiasts out there who love to talk about their cars/etc.

of course, there are probably as many, if not more poseurs who buy it for the marque's prestige

So many unhappy, uptight people out there.

Who in their right mind wouldnt wanna make eye contact with a girl in another Porsche parked only a few inches away?

Isn't that what life is all about?

I'm switching my Boxster RS for a 996 TT cab this week. I can GUARANTEE you all I will ALWAYS wave at fellow P-owners!
    I don't care if it's a 914, 924, 928 ... whatever starts with a 9 is good ... as long as it doesn't say Peugeot of course

Quote:
    tooner said:
    I try not throw a peace sign whenever I can to a driver in the same make...

Piece of advice: Do not type when pissed at dealer about 997 PSE (see thread PSE Robber who are YOU? )

What I wanted to say was:

"I try not to wave but rather I throw a peace sign whenever I can to a driver in the same make..."

this is the San Francisco area and the peace is as common as the NY middle finger... no pun indented New Yorkers....

tooner you are right, in manhattan, people would look at you like you are insane if you waved at them while they were posing in their car.

its not unusual to be flipped the bird by making eye contact

in the 'burbs and nearby states, its much better, laid back.

Thanks guys, I feel better now. I will keep on waving... Hopefully one day one of you lot will see me and wave back.

Car is 200 miles from break-in... Bit naughty today, got her briefly into the 5 - 6k range whilst overtaking 3 cars on a big long straight. What a lovely noise that engine makes when you nail it.

I'm having the same sort of experience down here in San Diego and up to Los Angeles. I've seen a few 987's and not a single one of those drivers was friendly.

You're gonna love break-in. That was a fantastic day for me. I took it up to Malibu and went driving through some of the canyons with a cute gal-friend. Everything was as it should be.

Its better in Australia here.

if I c another Speed Yellow Box, we both acknowledge each other's good taste by a mutual nod....

as for 911 owners.... yep. something is definitely up there backside.
    they never wave

You could just have encountered someone like me who is determined to wave/smile at each and every P driver but always sleeps through the encounters when they happen. This morning again.. another 05 Boxey passing and it didn't register to me until it was too late. Need more caffeine in order to have the social functions switched on.

Quote:
    Moogle said:
    tooner you are right, in manhattan, people would look at you like you are insane if you waved at them while they were posing in their car.

its not unusual to be flipped the bird by making eye contact

in the 'burbs and nearby states, its much better, laid back.

Yes I agree... it would be very weird to be waved at in NYC...similar to people trying to come up to you on the street to start conversation - it works in other places, just not in NYC...

When I'm driving I concentrate on the road so much, I probably wouldn't notice a naked girl by the side of the road!

Well, just for all you people who are feeling left out...

>>> <<<

(Oh, the one on the far right is Ente!)

Quote:
    wtsnet said:
    When I'm driving I concentrate on the road so much, I probably wouldn't notice a naked girl by the side of the road!

This is worrying. Has The Man With A Big Willie had an influence on you somehow?

Usually the older the car, the higher the chances to be waived at...especially by the 'classics' owner who are absolute fans. The owner of brands new cars also owners of their first Porsche tend to ignore the rest of us...
    Just my opinion :-)

Quote:
    dreamcar said:This is worrying. Has The Man With A Big Willie had an influence on you somehow?

What, Rich? Nah! When I'm driving, I tend to be in my own little world. I only notice things that might inturrupt the flight-path. My other half, conversely, often drives with her eyes trained 90 degrees to the direction of travel.

Quote:
    <<<

I'm always trying to throw a quick greeting to other P-car drivers and I'd say that around 50% do react and greet back.

Quote:
    derder said:
    Its better in Australia here.

if I c another Speed Yellow Box, we both acknowledge each other's good taste by a mutual nod....

as for 911 owners.... yep. something is definitely up there backside.
    they never wave

I wave. Checkout my roots!

hi girlracer, you should come in Greece!

Some -very very few- Porsche owners wave but very few, others they might give you the middle finger if you wave at them!!

They are just not happy when they see another Porsche out there,it ruins their snobish image!!

How old are you? Might be that you are too beautifull and you make them feel unconfortable?

Isn't an open palmed, fingers extended, wave-like gesture extremely rude in Greece? (Or am I getting confused with somewhere else?)

And, "Come in Greece".... that reminds me of that Dudley Moore film (Crazy People?) where the inmates of a lunatic asylum made up marketing slogans (and were very successful!). One was "Come in Barbados" I think. (And you don't want to know the one for Jaguar cars! )

You don't work for the Greek tourist board do you?

Wow Dilinger, that's really an aggressive attitude towards fellow Porsche owners !!!! :-(
    One should wave not at the ownership, but at the driving fun! When I wave at another driver it means: "Let's share the common pleasure of driving these things"..and "I know this guy/girl has at least as much fun as me"...
    BTW, I sometimes wave at Ferrari drivers too. The other day I was on a small road, a 430 spyder pulled behind me at an intersection. Of course I pushed a bit more...and so did he...when he turned away I waved and so did he + flash etc...because it meant we have the same passion...and in this world of Diesels, SUVs, radars, traffic jams...well, passion should be even more so shared by true enthusiasts :-)

Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    make them feel unconfortable?

oh for goodness sake! not again dilinger! first jenna, now girlracer

btw girlracer, i waved at a speed yellow 987 last weekend and he looked the other way... so i guess it's the other way round for me?

Jeannot, I agree completely, and I used to have success with the multi-sportscar wave when I drove an MGB. I would get waves from most other classic car drivers, and with my TVR's even bikers would wave/stop to chat. Probably because the exhaust notes sound the same.

Dilinger, I have been to Greece a couple of times, it's beautiful! I was too young to drive then though but I still remember some amazing mountain roads.

Perhaps the chap on 1431 didn't wave because he was with his girlfriend and didn't want to start a fight?

"Who were you waving at?"
    "That girl in the Boxster"
    "Why??"
    "Because we've got the same car, silly!"
    To me this is OBVIOUS, you wave at people with the same car! But maybe to a non-car girl it doesn't make any sense... Just a theory...

Girl racer, in the dinosaur era all sports car drivers waived at each other. Now we have too many people who are all checkbook and no fun. So dont take it too bad.

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    Quote:
    Dilinger said:
    make them feel unconfortable?

oh for goodness sake! not again dilinger! first jenna, now girlracer

btw girlracer, i waved at a speed yellow 987 last weekend and he looked the other way... so i guess it's the other way round for me?

Mike S ... try the 'oIo" it may catch their attention.... Then wave....lol

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Now we have too many people who are all checkbook and no fun

Passion has been dampened by possession!

I always wave but rarely see other Porsche owners making eye contact. This morning, however, I got a big wave from a guy coming towards my Yellow 986 in a Yellow 997 Cab and he initiated it.

My first car was a 1977 VW Beetle, never failed to get a wave in that car.

Only time in London anything has happened in my Boxsters is when three boxtsers all pulled up to the traffic lines side by side.. roofs down, i was in the middle, we just looked at it other and grinned.

Sounds like NY is similar to London in this respect, you just dont talk to strangers, whether they have the same car as you or not

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776715 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441517 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262676 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260817 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85086 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5497 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880525 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815657 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM