Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017 model) - Short Review

So if the new V6 will "offer more than 500hp", will it replace the standard V10 with 540hp?

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:

So if the new V6 will "offer more than 500hp", will it replace the standard V10 with 540hp?

This is really a good question.

My previous information was that Audi will offer a R8 entry level model with a 500 hp (or maybe slightly less) V6 biturbo.

In my opinion, this is a mistake because it could devaluate the R8 further (those many used R8 Experience factory cars already did a pretty good job achieving that in Europe... Smiley).

I think this is how Audi will keep the R8 model range:

- Audi R8 with V6 Biturbo and 450-500 hp

- Audi R8 Spyder with V6 Biturbo and 450-500 hp

- Audi R8 Spyder V10 with V10 and 540 hp

- Audi R8 V10 with V10 and 540 hp

- Audi R8 V10 Plus with V10 and 610 hp

- Audi R8 GT with V10 and 630-640 hp (due sometimes 2017 or 2018, after Huracan SL introduction)

So many different models for such a limited production car, not sure it really is a good thing for Audi. Smiley

This is the R8 model range which would actually make more sense in my personal opinion:

- Audi R8 with V6 Biturbo and 500 hp

- Audi R8 Spyder with V6 Biturbo and 500 hp

- Audi R8 GT with V10 and 630-640 hp (2017/2018)

Would cost Audi much less money (logistics, production cost, etc.) and it actually makes sense in my opinion.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lukas:

Anyone? smiley

Airbnb:
    For those who live to drive, welcome home. This October, Audi and Airbnb are bringing you a once in a lifetime experience - to be one of the few to sit behind the wheel of the new Audi R8 V10 plus. By day you’ll get the chance to experience the car to its full potential in Death Valley, and by night sleep under the stars in one-of-a-kind Airbnb architectural gem.

https://www.airbnb.se/rooms/15028061?sug=51

This is actually quite an interesting offer...without kids and a demanding job, I would have done this instantly. I love Death Valley and I would love to drive a R8 there (maybe if they keep the cops away, it would be more fun Smiley).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Wooo Amazing escape with an r8

https://instagram.com/p/BKaniybghlH/

RC:
    Lukas:

Anyone? smiley

Airbnb:
    For those who live to drive, welcome home. This October, Audi and Airbnb are bringing you a once in a lifetime experience - to be one of the few to sit behind the wheel of the new Audi R8 V10 plus. By day you’ll get the chance to experience the car to its full potential in Death Valley, and by night sleep under the stars in one-of-a-kind Airbnb architectural gem.

This is actually quite an interesting offer...without kids and a demanding job, I would have done this instantly. I love Death Valley and I would love to drive a R8 there (maybe if they keep the cops away, it would be more fun Smiley).

DAMN ... if I would have time I would come 100%! This sounds like fun!

Only 120 mls from Vegas... So if you get bored... indecision

--

RC:
    Rossi:

This is really a good question.

My previous information was that Audi will offer a R8 entry level model with a 500 hp (or maybe slightly less) V6 biturbo.

In my opinion, this is a mistake because it could devaluate the R8 further (those many used R8 Experience factory cars already did a pretty good job achieving that in Europe... Smiley).

I think this is how Audi will keep the R8 model range:

- Audi R8 with V6 Biturbo and 450-500 hp

- Audi R8 Spyder with V6 Biturbo and 450-500 hp

- Audi R8 V10 with V10 and 540 hp

- Audi R8 GT with V10 and 630-640 hp (due sometimes 2017 or 2018, after Huracan SL introduction)

So many different models for such a limited production car, not sure it really is a good thing for Audi. Smiley

This is the R8 model range which would actually make more sense in my personal opinion:

- Audi R8 with V6 Biturbo and 500 hp

- Audi R8 Spyder with V6 Biturbo and 500 hp

- Audi R8 GT with V10 and 630-640 hp (2017/2018)

Would cost Audi much less money (logistics, production cost, etc.) and it actually makes sense in my opinion.

That's still too complicated.

1- base R8 with V6 biturbo 500hp
    2- V10 R8 with 600hp
    3- special GT model with 630hp.

That's more than enough.

Audi won't make a 610 hp Spyder for various reasons. Some customers want a V10 in the Spyder, so the 540 hp version is the only choice.

The introduction of the V6 Biturbo with 500 hp (more or less) is actually bad news in my opinion. The V10 will disappear at some point, I am pretty sure about it and it may survive (maybe) in the Huracan only. Sad.

Unless Audi decides to turbo charge the V10, they did it before... 

--

y0ukz:

That was RC last weekend... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    y0ukz:

That was RC last weekend... Smiley

You got me... Smiley

I wish I would be that good, this guy was amazing (an no, this was no luck).

--

RC:
    Lukas:

Anyone? smiley

Airbnb:

If I read the invitation correctly,  they have a total of six openings.Usually they invite those who owned a car comparable to the R8V10 or close to it.

Very strange.Smiley

--

One of history's few iron laws is that luxuries tend to become necessities and to spawn new obligations.

If you think the R8 V10 plus is fast, the new TT RS is shockingly quick for the money. Some journos have been getting 3.4, 3.6 sec  0 to 100kph times.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwY9qWJWqNY

That is Jarama racetrack, know it well. The main straight is slightly downhill, so the end result may be a little biased.
    --

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Mikla:
    That is Jarama racetrack, know it well. The main straight is slightly downhill, so the end result may be a little biased.

Indeed is downhill so you may be right.

I have great memories from this circuit, back on 1999 I was there for the VIII Porsche Bridgestone Cup, an amateur race organized by the Spain & Portuguese Porsche Club, and I´ve won among some other powerful Porsche cars. I had back then the Boxster Smiley

--

J.Seven

Great pictures! I recognize some good friends way younger...
    --

2016 Cayman GT4 - 1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2016 Macan S Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S

There is an interesting discussion going on in an Audi R8 forum: Many US owners claim that their R8 have a different chassis, DCT and ESP setup than the European counterparts. Some even seem to complain about the LED light distance. Apparently there is also no Performance auto mode on US cars. If true, the reviews from US magazines cannot be compared to the ones in other non-US magazines.

Why Audi would do such a thing is beyond my grasp (I think it would be quite foolish) but it seems that way. Weird.

--

Update on that 2.9 l Biturbo V6 engine in the R8: The engine is rumored to get around 450 hp (not 500 hp) in the R8, so I guess the 540 hp V10 will stay. The new R8 V6 is supposed to compete with the 911 Carrera and AMG GT models. Price tag is rumored to be around 135-140k EUR, so substantially lower than R8 V10 model (166k and 179k base prices in Germany). Introduction in Germany is planned for 2017, in the US for 2018.

As always...take rumors with a grain of salt.

--

So the V6 will be an addition as an entry level engine. That leaves the question, how long will we see the NA-V10 and how do they want to replace it when time will come? V8 twinturbo? V10 (twin)turbo? V10 hybrid?

--

RC:

There is an interesting discussion going on in an Audi R8 forum: Many US owners claim that their R8 have a different chassis, DCT and ESP setup than the European counterparts. Some even seem to complain about the LED light distance. Apparently there is also no Performance auto mode on US cars. If true, the reviews from US magazines cannot be compared to the ones in other non-US magazines.

Why Audi would do such a thing is beyond my grasp (I think it would be quite foolish) but it seems that way. Weird.

This is confirmed by reports on Car and Driver:

This is our second instrumented test of the second-generation Audi R8. Our first run involved a Europe-spec model with magnetorheological dampers, black wheels, and a few lingering Germanisms in the 12.3-inch digital instrument cluster. This car represents the final American-market version and needed an extra two-tenths to 60 mph and three ticks through the quarter-mile despite a ruthless launch-control system that absolves the driver of any skill requirement. Still, clearing the quarter-mile in 10.9 seconds at 129 mph is no slow feat.

The U.S. car was closer to its German counterpart in chassis metrics. The V10 Plus model’s standard carbon-ceramic brake discs delivered stops from 70 mph in 153 feet, just two more than were needed for the prior test. Cornering grip, at 1.00 g, falls closer to what we expect from sports cars rather than six-figure supercars but was just 0.01 g below what we recorded with the German R8.

-- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-audi-r8-v10-plus-test-review

The most notable difference between this Euro model and the U.S-spec car are the magnetorheological dampers, which we’d rate as beyond reproach after strafing our favorite 10Best Cars back roads. Sadly, these shocks will not be available here on the V10 Plus. Also, the stunning 20-inch wheels fitted to our test car will be painted a shade of silver—Audi calls it titanium—not gloss black. And our cars will be fitted with Homelink equipment but no fuel-scrimping stop-start system. Certain features that are standard in Europe—variable-effort steering and the exotic Bang & Olufsen sound system, for instance—will cost us extra. Finally, this car’s laser high-beam auxiliary headlamps are not legal in the U.S. and won’t be offered here.

-- http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-audi-r8-v10-plus-euro-spec-test-review 

Rossi:

So the V6 will be an addition as an entry level engine. That leaves the question, how long will we see the NA-V10 and how do they want to replace it when time will come? V8 twinturbo? V10 (twin)turbo? V10 hybrid?

--

Good question. My guess is: They will replace the V10 with a Biturbo V8. Makes sense. I don't like it though.

Unless VW Group finally decides that the R8 is not the right product for Audi... Smiley It seems that Audi has serious issues in deciding how they want to position and market the R8 in their current model lineup and versus the direct competition. I heard stories... Smiley With the new Porsche mid engined MSS (derived from the MSB platform) sportscar platform, things could change radically, incl. Audi and Lamborghini. I just hope that the engines (V10 and V12) stay. Smiley Actually, if I'm not mistaken, even the next Aventador generation will be based on this platform.

--

RC:

Some even seem to complain about the LED light distance.

That might be fixable by having a Audi tech reset the headlight code to the EU market mode. BMW often owners do that. US headlight regs are outdated and demand under powered lighting units. And any laser headlights will need to get certified by the FDA - food and drug administration.

RC:

Update on that 2.9 l Biturbo V6 engine in the R8: The engine is rumored to get around 450 hp (not 500 hp) in the R8, so I guess the 540 hp V10 will stay. The new R8 V6 is supposed to compete with the 911 Carrera and AMG GT models. Price tag is rumored to be around 135-140k EUR, so substantially lower than R8 V10 model (166k and 179k base prices in Germany). Introduction in Germany is planned for 2017, in the US for 2018.

--

if that is true, then audi are diluting the R8. no longer will be a halo car for the brand.

its different with the 911.....Porsche manages to cover a wide performance base as it has a history like that and as it is regarded as the daily driver sportscar.

the R8 is more in the league of huracan and 488 etc...very wrong imo to dilute it with a small engine.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

as for the US market issue, maybe the engine is coded for lower octane (95) versus the European 98.

and furthermore I can imagine the damping setup is different because of US speed limits so the car is made softer and more comfortable.

in the end it doesn't make sense to me. if I buy a car, I want the real package.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:
    RC:

--

if that is true, then audi are diluting the R8. no longer will be a halo car for the brand.

its different with the 911.....Porsche manages to cover a wide performance base as it has a history like that and as it is regarded as the daily driver sportscar.

the R8 is more in the league of huracan and 488 etc...very wrong imo to dilute it with a small engine.

Exactly what I am thinking. I would replace the 540 hp V10 with a 500-540 hp V6 engine (yes, the 2.9 l is capable of making 540 hp with the right setup, boost pressure and turbo chargers but I think this would be the maximum possible output, which would also be good to avoid tuners messing up things...) and keep the 540 hp V10 an option for the Spyder only (since the 540 and 610 hp engines are identical, no hardware differences, they even have the same part numbers, this wouldn't be a logistical/cost problem).

A 450 hp V6 would certainly dilute the R8 model line but from a resale point of view, this could be a good thing for the V10 models. Could...if the V6 doesn't dilute the R8 so much that people don't consider it a supercar anymore (which could be disastrous for Audi since they already have an image problem in this class).

I also heard that the 2.9 l V6 is necessary for countries like China, where people probably don't care about the engine type but more about looks. It seems to have something to do with taxes and prices (I think we already discussed this in a Cayman 718 thread).

To be honest, I think a V8 Biturbo with 540 hp would make more sense in the R8 but... Smiley

--

Is that 2,9l v6 bi-turbo engine the "same" engine that develops 440hp in the new Panamera 4S 

Lukas:

Is that 2,9l v6 bi-turbo engine the "same" engine that develops 440hp in the new Panamera 4S 

Identical. Well...almost. It will have a much higher boost pressure, a few minor internal changes and very likely different turbo chargers. Yes, basically the same engine though, it is a co-development of Audi and Porsche.

--

RC:
    Lukas:

Identical. Well...almost. It will have a much higher boost pressure, a few minor internal changes and very likely different turbo chargers. Yes, basically the same engine though, it is a co-development of Audi and Porsche.

--

Thanks for confirming!

Looks like that engine will have a very wide range. Same 2,9l v6 engine in the Panamera E-hybrid also, but in this configuration it only develops 330hp.

Too many engines if they do in fact go turbo. They should drop the 540hp R8 if a TT engine comes out. The higher torque in the turbo would make up for the lower hp.

TT V6 with 500hp (and huge torque) for base
    V10 with 610 for Plus
    V10 with 6xx for R8 GT

intouch1:
    RC:

--

the R8 is more in the league of huracan and 488 etc...very wrong imo to dilute it with a small engine.,

Doesn´t surprise me, it´s mass market car company they just want to sell sell sell, that´s why it´s called Audi and not Ferrari or Lambo .

--

J.Seven

You are aware that Audi owns Lamborghini? 

Anyway: A V6 is necessary because of emissions, noise regulations and of course to..."save" the V10 for a little while longer (according to my dealer). Apparently there are customers who would be OK with the V6 in the R8 for less money.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    760068 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434039 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259851 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256992 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5309 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870922 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806032 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM