Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Apologies

throt,
    The problem is that its so hard to describe a suspension to another person with words and on top of it fron a diferent country with diferent roads. And there is no clear cut choice either, both are equally great options, just depends on the driver, use, and the roads as to which is the best for each of us. If you are wondering if its too hard for you, my best advice is to try a PASM car with 19" wheels and put it on sport mode, and see if you can live with that permanently or not.

Quote:
    throt said:
    Carlos is it a " skull shaker " , sorry if this subjest is boring you but I would love this option , its just our roads in the UK are not to clever..

If only I could find a demo , but would a GT 3 demo be a good reserve of a -20 997S ..

Just a thought..

Thanks..

throt.

Throt, why don't you just go to France or Belgium and test drive -20mm there?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    Carlos is it a " skull shaker " , sorry if this subjest is boring you but I would love this option , its just our roads in the UK are not to clever..

If only I could find a demo , but would a GT 3 demo be a good reserve of a -20 997S ..

Just a thought..

Thanks..

throt.

Thats a good point SoCal , its worth considering if they have -20 demos as I will be driving across France going straight on to Italy sometime during August.

Carlos , I will do that as I need another demo , on the first demo the salesman put it on Sports Chrono then turned the PASM off ( I believe that possible ) he said its too hard as we were on a motorway.I need some urban driving with the PASM on for a good judgement..

Thanks..

throt.

PS : Sorry to keep boring everyone..

throt, you are not boring anyone, its a tough desition and you just want to get it right before you purchase such a car. Its only logical, and unfortunately I can't be of more help trying to describe the diference with just words.

BTW next time tell the salesman to keep his hands to himself!! a 911 sportcar in sport mode being too hard on the motorway fro a "TEST" drive... maybe he should transfer to a Citroen dealership?

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    Quote:
    throt said:

Just a thought..

Thanks..

throt.

If it can help :
    I tried a -20mm in France : Lille, not far away from Calais. Try there...
    Good luck !

Thanks Carlos and Cartouche for your help , some good suggestions this is what I love about this board its so helpful specially when its your first P , I have learnt so much.

Thankyou..

throt.

PS :: I wonder if I can get the demo across the water onto UK roads , you know quickly pop back on the ferry or the tunnle , LOL Just a quick demo right..

Quote:
    throt said:
    PS :: I wonder if I can get the demo across the water onto UK roads , you know quickly pop back on the ferry or the tunnle , LOL Just a quick demo right..

Actually, a good question. They rent new 997's over here in the US for daily/weekly use. Why not in Europe? Somehow, I doubt that the car rental staff would know -20mm from a steering wheel, though.

I have the -20mm Sports Suspension and I must say I prefer it over PASM (which I also have been driving). The feedback from the road is so precise and direct, yet not uncomfortable. I did not get the same feedback with PASM in Sport mode. The only thing to be a bit careful about is the ride height. Speed bumps, very bad roads, etc has to be driven over with care. I already touched ground while driving down in my garage

Re: You must be a Rover driver!

what wheels did u put on your car?

Re: -20mm Suspension. What a waste of money!?

Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    madadd said:
    Well said ACA! A few people got me very wrong. I have never been into luxurious cars. Usually, the harder the better.

As for your comments RC. The money question, that I was presenting. Was this..

According to Porsche, one of the big additions to the 997 was active suspension. They obviously spent a hugh amount of money, developing it and adding it to the car.

In comparative terms, the somewhat normal springs, shocks, anti roll bars and LSD of the sports suspension setup are somewhat less costly to Porsche. (the fact that they are both the same in the price seems to me to be pure convenience from a logistial point of view)

Are Porsche not making far more money on the sale when you choose -20mm than they do when you choose PASM?

My intended point was more 'In theory PASM sounds so good. Why on earth would you not want it? It appears to have so many great benefits. And I don't know if they are worth sacrificing.'. I am singing the praises of PASM. Not bashing -20mm.

Throt - I am in Lancashire.

...Add

P.S. I really hope I don't get my car and realise PASM just doesn't do it for me!!

Had a chat with the salesman and he said he has yet to sell a 997S with -20 due to poor UK roads , he also reckoned it could have a bad effect on residuals but its worth to note that he has'nt driven one either..

Also no chance of finding a demo with it..

Anyone think hes got a point with the residual quote bearing in mind that he has not sold one yet due to lack of demand...

throt.

My dealer told me the same. He said that the sports suspension would damage the redidual values of the car!

Strangely, he also told me that he hasn't yet sold a 997 with Carrera Classics on it! I thought they'd be quite popular! odd!

...Add

P.S. I am currently going through an odd phase, and am now swaying towards wanting the -20mm! I wonder if I can find out how much ground clearance that will give at the front with the aerokit fitted!

The daelers seem to be so conservative..... Do not take any risk! Don' t be different! Only go with what everybody goes with!!!
    My dealer is not very happy that I will take the -20mm . He suggest that I take a C4S, with PASM, sunroof, rear wiper, park assist, tempomat.... Dealers are boring!
    I' ll go with your heart and if I loose a few Pounds...what's the problem , at least I' ll be happy!

Quote:
    madadd said:
    Quote:
    throt said:
    Quote:
    madadd said:
    Well said ACA! A few people got me very wrong. I have never been into luxurious cars. Usually, the harder the better.

As for your comments RC. The money question, that I was presenting. Was this..

According to Porsche, one of the big additions to the 997 was active suspension. They obviously spent a hugh amount of money, developing it and adding it to the car.

In comparative terms, the somewhat normal springs, shocks, anti roll bars and LSD of the sports suspension setup are somewhat less costly to Porsche. (the fact that they are both the same in the price seems to me to be pure convenience from a logistial point of view)

Are Porsche not making far more money on the sale when you choose -20mm than they do when you choose PASM?

My intended point was more 'In theory PASM sounds so good. Why on earth would you not want it? It appears to have so many great benefits. And I don't know if they are worth sacrificing.'. I am singing the praises of PASM. Not bashing -20mm.

Throt - I am in Lancashire.

...Add

P.S. I really hope I don't get my car and realise PASM just doesn't do it for me!!

Had a chat with the salesman and he said he has yet to sell a 997S with -20 due to poor UK roads , he also reckoned it could have a bad effect on residuals but its worth to note that he has'nt driven one either..

Also no chance of finding a demo with it..

Anyone think hes got a point with the residual quote bearing in mind that he has not sold one yet due to lack of demand...

throt.

My dealer told me the same. He said that the sports suspension would damage the redidual values of the car!

Strangely, he also told me that he hasn't yet sold a 997 with Carrera Classics on it! I thought they'd be quite popular! odd!

...Add

P.S. I am currently going through an odd phase, and am now swaying towards wanting the -20mm! I wonder if I can find out how much ground clearance that will give at the front with the aerokit fitted!

I went around the back of my dealership where there is a huge compound to see various colours , it was well worth it , I manage to see loads of colours and what people was having as options and the Carrera Classic wheels is without doubt a favorite . As far as the special exterior colours , buyers were against it..

throt.

Also madadd , I would not have the aero-kit this would have a definite effect on re-sale , it could put people off more so than the -20 on its own and with it you would definitely have to watch the ground clearence which is a hassel one could do without , but hey its just my opinoin...

Imo it does not need it..

throt.

Throt,

Apparently, the older aerokits have held value quite well (so I am told). When I asked whether it held any value, I was told that it would definitely increase the residual value of the car.

Unfortunately, I still have some boy racer blood in me, so have to buy it. My current car has 7cm clearance under the front splitter. Less than that would get hit regularly. That is about the limit for every day use. My dealer has a red aerokitted car on the way in, so I will go and visit with my ruler!

...Add

LOL , it will be worth the visit madadd I see one the other day at my dealer I just cant get used to that rear wing the aero-kit is a very persoal option..all the best..

throt..

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    778959 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442194 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263072 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261345 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5783 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881047 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817302 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM