Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren P14

noone1:

The vast majority of people don't notice the turbo lag you say exists. As far as I'm concerned, there is no lag in my 12C. I doubt there is in a 911 Turbo or a 488.

Have you actually ever driven a n/a engined sportscar? Or used an iPhone? LOL

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I had an NA R8 last. It felt no more or less responsive. Drive a car in the wrong gear/wrong RPM and it will feel like it's not doing anything. Keep a turbo car at or above the threshold of when the turbo is actually spooling and there is no lag.

Best not to confuse lag with non-linear power delivery or being in the wrong gear for what you're trying to accomplish.

And honestly, the 458, which people rave about throttle response, didn't feel any different than the 12C in terms of response. It just felt way slower.

noone1:

The vast majority of people don't notice the turbo lag you say exists. As far as I'm concerned, there is no lag in my 12C. I doubt there is in a 911 Turbo or a 488.

Since I have a chance to test drive 991.2 Turbo S, 570S and 488 GTB recently I can tell you that turbo lag is the real thing. 

Biggest turbo lag is on 570S. But, I love that car. 

991.2 Turbo S has smaller turbo lag. It is still there although. 

488 GTB... You had to drive one to truly get the picture how good this car is. The best possible throttle response for a turbo engine. Fast as possible, confidence inspiring handling, amazing traction. Should I go on?

It is IMO the best sportscar currently on the market. Second is IMO 991.1 GT3. Third place is shared between 570S and R8 V10 Plus. 

Maybe you're driving it in a weird way such that lag is obvious? Maybe it's only obvious when tracking? I really just don't experience any hesitation when I have drive any McLarens. 570S felt fine too. I even just went out and tested this the other day when someone mentioned it and I was curious if I was just not noticing it.

Nope. Car pulls hard the moment I touch the gas. I just don't see it as anything really noticeable. Like I said, 458 just felt slower, not more responsive.

I have driven a speciale and the 488 back to back and maybe it was a mistake to start with the speciale but there is no comparison…no matter what numbers say - the speciale was worlds better..... Same pointless discussion between 991 carrera turbo vs gt3 times. Also the 675LT has a considerable lag but boy when u pass 4000 rpm.... - p14 will be lifting the bar again quite impressively. I agree though on the gt3 with kreso - nobody needs more than what this car can do and for the price is The bargain of this decade…

BjoernB:

I have driven a speciale and the 488 back to back and maybe it was a mistake to start with the speciale but there is no comparison…no matter what numbers say - the speciale was worlds better..... Same pointless discussion between 991 carrera turbo vs gt3 times. Also the 675LT has a considerable lag but boy when u pass 4000 rpm.... - p14 will be lifting the bar again quite impressively. I agree though on the gt3 with kreso - nobody needs more than what this car can do and for the price is The bargain of this decade…

Smiley The 675LT is the perfect Autobahn car and maybe even the perfect track car if one is skilled enough to use the power of this car. Futch speaks very highly of the 675LT, according to him this is a car which comes very close to a real race car and feels amazing and I trust his judgement.

If I were to get a fun car only, I would probably choose the Aventador SV though. I love a car with AWD, can't help it. Let Lamborghini take care of the current tire pressure "issues" and chassis setup, let them add 50 hp to the car and I think it is competitive enough. Also if they would use a DCT system similar to the Huracan, the Aventador would be perfect.

Speaking of Lamborghini: Talked to someone last weekend and we came to talk about the new Huracan SL. He had the chance to talk to someone who is close to development and everyone at Lamborghini seems to be amazed with the new Huracan SL. The good news is: Audi will very likely offer the R8 GT based on the Huracan SL but with AWD instead of RWD (Huracan SL) only. Maybe I should upgrade... Smiley

The 991.1 GT3 has only one "flaw" (if you can call it a flaw): Not really suitable for the German Autobahn, a RS6 Performance would be faster, especially in the upper speed range. The engine issues may also be something to talk about but I guess Porsche is handling this quite OK, so no worries here.

570S? Probably the bargain super sportscar on the market. As a weekend toy, I would always choose the 570S over the 911 Turbo S and even probably save some money. Smiley Many also seem to forget an interesting alternative: The Huracan LP580-2. I have to admit I do not "get" this model (why 580 instead of 610 hp?), Lamborghini should have given it 610 hp, maybe a sportier chassis to differentiate it from the regular Huracan LP610-4 and let the customers choose between RWD and AWD but marketing is a bitch, so... Smiley

McLaren can up the power as much as they want but unless they get completely rid of that turbo lag and kind of "generic" (but loud) exhaust sound. At least the McLaren cars sound OK, especially when compared to the 911 Turbo S. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

Speaking of Lamborghini: Talked to someone last weekend and we came to talk about the new Huracan SL. He had the chance to talk to someone who is close to development and everyone at Lamborghini seems to be amazed with the new Huracan SL. The good news is: Audi will very likely offer the R8 GT based on the Huracan SL but with AWD instead of RWD (Huracan SL) only. Maybe I should upgrade... Smiley

Are you sure the Huracán Superleggera will be RWD? If I remember correctly the Gallardo Superleggera was AWD. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    RC:

Are you sure the Huracán Superleggera will be RWD? If I remember correctly the Gallardo Superleggera was AWD. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

This is what I heard: Huracan SL will be RWD but "matching" Audi GT model will get AWD. I was surprised as well because I think that the AWD in the Huracan/R8 is working quite well. Smiley 

With AWD, the Huracan SL would be the hell of a car... Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

This is what I heard: Huracan SL will be RWD but "matching" Audi GT model will get AWD. I was surprised as well because I think that the AWD in the Huracan/R8 is working quite well. Smiley 

With AWD, the Huracan SL would be the hell of a car... Smiley

Just my opinion, but to me it doesn't make sense at all to reduce the power in the RWD 580-2 and to raise it in a forthcoming Superleggera.

So I really think (and hope) that the Superleggera will be AWD. Smiley

--

What they did with the LP580-2 was dumb in my opinion. Why not let customers choose and keep the 610 hp for both cars. The LP610-2 could have been slightly weight reduced (less dampening material) and maybe a sportier chassis and special seats, also Trofeo R tires as standard and the LP610-4 could have been more comfort oriented (like it is now).

If the Huracan SL will be AWD, it will sell like crazy if the price tag is right as well. Right now I heard about a base price of around 225k EUR for the car, this would be amazing.

--

RC:

What they did with the LP580-2 was dumb in my opinion. Why not let customers choose and keep the 610 hp for both cars. The LP610-2 could have been slightly weight reduced (less dampening material) and maybe a sportier chassis and special seats, also Trofeo R tires as standard and the LP610-4 could have been more comfort oriented (like it is now).

If the Huracan SL will be AWD, it will sell like crazy if the price tag is right as well. Right now I heard about a base price of around 225k EUR for the car, this would be amazing.

They did reduce the power for the RWD Gallardo as well, so it seems to be custom at Lamborghini to offer the RWD-version with slightly less power. So let's hope they follow their AWD-custom with the Superleggera as well.

An then please a Spyder Perfomante with AWD and Superleggera power. Smiley

--

Rossi:
    RC:

They did reduce the power for the RWD Gallardo as well, so it seems to be custom at Lamborghini to offer the RWD-version with slightly less power. So let's hope they follow their AWD-custom with the Superleggera as well.

Hmm...I am sensing some vibe here...a Lambo vibe? Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    Rossi:
    RC:

Hmm...I am sensing some vibe here...a Lambo vibe? Smiley Smiley

Trust your senses. Smiley

--

kiss Must be some sort of virus... Smiley Smiley Smiley

--

580-2 being RWD is the same logic as the 550-2. It's supposed to be lower performance since it's cheaper. It comes with less standard options too, I believe. If they can profit on a $200K R8 V10 Plus, they can profit on a $225K 580 too. It's just a way to increase sales and make the people who are paying more feel like they're getting something better still.

610 MSRP is $237K
    580 MSRP is $199K

580 is way better looking too IMO. It's the car I'd get if I was getting a Huracan. Huracan SL will definitely be AWD. No way it's not.

Here's a new article about the updated version of the R8 (not flattering) with 570S and 991TT comparisons...

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/audi-r8-takes-step-back/?wc_mid=4035:3339&wc_rid=4035:2371550&_wcsid=12758258EC526E1319B31E6DC7785DA4F2C0AC6C4667551C

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Oh dear angry

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I can say with all confidence that the writer of this article doesn't seem to have a clue about cars. Seriously.

No surprise here though, I read articles praising the Dynamic Steering and the chassis in the new R8 and others where they didn't like it at all. I'm also not quite sure if the author of the article drove the Plus version because the non-Plus has a very comfortable, almost sedan-like chassis setup.

The Dynamic Steering is actually one of the best steering systems I ever drove in a sportscar, razor sharp with perfect feedback and a very short steering way. You need to get to used to it though because, as the name indicates, it is dynamic (adapting).

Many seem to have an issue with the fact that the R8 is an...Audi. Also comparing the old R8 V8 to the new R8 V10 Plus? The author certainly must have smoked some bad quality weed before writing his article. LOL

When I drove the R8 (previous model) V10 Plus, I liked it but was kind of underwhelmed. It felt like an "old" sportscar, it is difficult to explain. The new R8 has blown me away from the moment I drove it for the very first time. One reason why I didn't hesitate to get this car.

--

RC is on the ropes! ;)

And of course another thread is now about the R8 somehow...

Does all this performance talk matter when the Macca looks stunningly sexy vs the bland Audi family inspired R8 language? angry

SciFrog:

Does all this performance talk matter when the Macca looks stunningly sexy vs the bland Audi family inspired R8 language? angry

Believe it or not but I like how the R8 looks. I agree however that Audi should have used a slightly different design language for the R8, especially since this isn't even an Audi (Quattro GmbH).  Smiley

I like however the Huracan and Aventador much more than any McLaren on the market but after these two, the McLaren comes next, I agree. The interior could be a bit nicer though.

--

noone1:

RC is on the ropes! ;)

And of course another thread is now about the R8 somehow...

Guys, we (at least Europeans) will meet once and I will prove it to you what the R8 is capable of... You have way too much trust in car journalists (or IT journalists for that matter Smiley). Smiley

I do my own reviews... Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    SciFrog:

Believe it or not but I like how the R8 looks. I agree however that Audi should have used a slightly different design language for the R8, especially since this isn't even an Audi (Quattro GmbH).  Smiley

I like however the Huracan and Aventador much more than any McLaren on the market but after these two, the McLaren comes next, I agree. The interior could be a bit nicer though.

I think the R8 is very colour sensitive. RC's suzuka grey (?) is definitely one of the best colours, but there are others where the car just looks too bland.
    And I don't like the look of the R8 Spyder, a Huracán looks so much better as a convertible (highly subjective of course).

--

RC:

I like the look of the R8 and Huracan, but I find the Aventador too big and bloated and a bit over-styled as well.

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:
    Also if they would use a DCT system similar to the Huracan, the Aventador would be perfect.

This would be Lamborghini heaven, but we will have to wait for the Aventador successor for this - let's hope the NA V12 survives that transition . Aventador facelift out soon, and Huracan SL for Geneva 2017 reveal is what I have heard. No doubt there will be a Performante in due course for @Rossi as well.

crayphile:
    let's hope the NA V12 survives that transition .

Even though I am not an Aventador person, this is a reason to love it Smiley

--

I agree, the R8 is very color sensitive. Also, flashy colors don't suit it too well but neither does black for example because you cannot really see the carbon applications (front lip, sideblades, rear diffusor, rear wing) then.

The Huracan Spyder is a piece of art in my opinion, I just love it.

While the R8 is more suitable for lighter and simple colors, the Huracan looks good in flashy colors as well.

However, why should I lie, I am kind of in love with the simple but functional R8 interior. I just wish the R8 would have a different gear lever (sportier), different shifting paddles similar to the Huracan and a different and unique R8 virtual display GUI. Those details are important to R8 customers but it seems someone at Audi doesn't understand this stuff.

Back to McLaren: The new power figure with the 7 starting will put a lot of pressure on some sportscar manufacturers. Ferrari isn't far away from this figure with their 488, neither is Lamborghini with the Aventador but what about Porsche or Mercedes AMG? I do not want Porsche to become a track toy company only, this would be sad.

--

I wonder if they had put the electro motor on the P14 to give that 700+ hp.  I think this would definity solve the issue with the turbo lag.  Although the 650S/675LT lag isn't too significant at all, I think this would help them on the lag and fuel issues of which they will be facing.  Also the start up early in the morning of that loud noise could be replaced by pleasant electric motor, and no neighborhood complains......   

The front looks a bit too much element there.... and the light seems a bit too dull....  but I am sure its going to be another great car which McLaren offers.  

huangester:

I wonder if they had put the electro motor on the P14 to give that 700+ hp.  I think this would definity solve the issue with the turbo lag.  Although the 650S/675LT lag isn't too significant at all, I think this would help them on the lag and fuel issues of which they will be facing.  Also the start up early in the morning of that loud noise could be replaced by pleasant electric motor, and no neighborhood complains......   

The front looks a bit too much element there.... and the light seems a bit too dull....  but I am sure its going to be another great car which McLaren offers.  

Getting rid of a turbo lag of a sportscar isn't that easy. Everything needs to work in sync, incl. traction control/ESP system (on some cars even the AWD system). I always loved turbo charged cars because they carried a "punch" but either I got old or wiser or both Smiley but I am definitely a sucker for n/a engines right now. Surprisingly, this love for n/a cars started with the...Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. 

--

huangester:

No hybrid in the P14. Don't forget, the same motor in the P1 is already pushing out 700+.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690626 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409864 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256081 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235319 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65723 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858536 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774805 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM