Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 505hp corvette Z06 priced the same than cayman s

Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Ya; the're fast , and cheap, but the're junk... Sorry
    Revvv

Larry...I won't comment on that because I never owned a Vette but they can't be THAT bad, especially at THAT price tag.
    I know that the Cayman S started some sort of euphoria among dealers worldwide but I hope this euphoria doesn't backfire sooner or later regarding Boxster and 911 sales.
    I doubt that Porsche will get 10000 new customers for the Cayman, the Cayman will "eat" from the Boxster and 911 buyers.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I doubt that Porsche will get 10000 new customers for the Cayman, the Cayman will "eat" from the Boxster and 911 buyers.

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Revvv said:
    Ya; the're fast , and cheap, but the're junk... Sorry
    Revvv

Larry...I won't comment on that because I never owned a Vette but they can't be THAT bad, especially at THAT price tag.
    I know that the Cayman S started some sort of euphoria among dealers worldwide but I hope this euphoria doesn't backfire sooner or later regarding Boxster and 911 sales.

So what do you think this means in the long run for the Cayman RC? I have an idea, but i'm not one to speak for others.

Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

I'm not 100% sure. The Cayman S fits into the budget of many BMW, Audi and Mercedes customers. On top you get extra performance compared to the Boxster S.

Quote:
    Robert2005 said:
    Quote:
    igzaklee said:
    Quote:
    RC said:

On top you get extra performance compared to the Boxster S.

for much extra $, you get very fractional extra performance as you'd expect with similar weight and a token 15 hp increase. improved handling and braking owing to increased rigidity is all you'll get, and it'll be interesting to see just how much more of those two things you'll get at that.

Quote:
    RR4 said:
    Don;t be fooled by the EPA ratings. The Z06 will eat gas like no Porsche ever would. That pushrod engine is not that efficient. Think about it. What GM needs to produce 500hp ie 7L, other companies do it in 5L or less.

While I agree that the displacement is pretty obscene for the power they turn out (a good comparison would be an M3 or 997S w/ Powerkit) the C5 Z06 anyway does actually get good gas mileage -- better in fact than the Porsches I have experience with, including a Boxster S and 996 TT. In real world conditions I have seen the C5 Z06 get 32-34MPG on the highway and (driven conservatively) 23MPG in the city. My friend who owns the one I have driven usually averages about 17MPG around town.

Quote:
    RR4 said:And Syfon, you mentioned "hydro-formed" frame. So what. Yes the car will be stiffer than previous Corvettes, but my old Denali also had a hydroformed frame and it is was an absolute "noodle" compared to my Range Rover. American's love to brand with these stupid names, b/c their cars in the past have been such s*it.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again. The point a lot of you guys are continually missing is that this new Corvette (C6) Z06 is not on the same level that the previous model (C5) Z06 was. The difference between C5 and C5 Z06 was very apparent, but the cars were largely the same. The differences between the normal model and the C6 Z06 are much greater -- the level of detail in the new Z06 is head and shoulders above the old Z06. This is reflected in the fact that it is being produced in much smaller quantities than the previous model Z06. Whether or not you are aware, this will be an extremely hard car to come by. Although you are spending your time insinuating this is "just another corvette" this is in reality a very special, limited edition car and many Chevy dealerships will not even recieve one for sale. The few people I have spoken to about it "in the know" have said it's very hard to recieve placement for this car and that the few orders some dealers have are taken either by the owners of the dealership or people expecting to pay multiples of the MSRP (a la Ford GT).

Your ridiculous statement about hydroforming and attempted comparison of a body-on-frame vehicle to a sportscar is evidence enough that you have your head far into the clouds. The chassis for this Z06 is not steel, it is aluminum, which is by nature much harder to hydroform. Considering the fact that the Z06 chassis architecture is hydroformed from a single piece of aluminum and many of the other components are magnesium, this chassis is significantly lighter and much more rigid than the normal model. This was not done with the previous Z06. Nor was the previous Z06 motor hand built, nor did it have titanium internals, carbon fibre bodywork, or the list of other insane features that the new Z06 has as a direct result of it being developed right along side the C6-R racecar -- which has been walking all over Porsche this season, might I add.

Again for the record, I am not a Corvette guy, I'm not a Chevy guy...hell, I'm not a big fan of American cars in general. I am however very happy to see such a strong car coming out of the American lineup, which has IMHO bent over backwards to exotic european machinery for decades. Change is good and keeps the waters of competition from stagnating. This is the first American car which has truly excited me in the past 5 years, and it is the only currently-produced American car (Saleen S7 nowithstanding) that I would ever consider owning. If some snooty or clueless European companies and enthusiasts want to look down their noses at it because it bests their entire lineup at fractions of the cost, that's fine -- they are obviously far out of touch with reality.

Quote:
    RR4 said:So when their marketing campaign revolves around the fact that it has 500HP and will beat most cars priced higher, what they are REALLY saying is "We admit we could never get anyone to buy this car (or any American car for that reason) if it was priced over $100K.

Man, you really are grasping at straws. If Porsche offered a special lightweight 997 Turbo with a handbuilt motor, titanium internals, carbon fibre bodywork, and independently developed chassis -- and the only thing that suffered at all was interior quality -- then set the price of such a vehicle at 65,000...would you be interested?

Give the elitism a rest.

Quote:
    syf0n said:Man, you really are grasping at straws. If Porsche offered a special lightweight 997 Turbo with a handbuilt motor, titanium internals, carbon fibre bodywork, and independently developed chassis -- and the only thing that suffered at all was interior quality -- then set the price of such a vehicle at 65,000...would you be interested?

Give the elitism a rest.

I agree syf0n, I think it's fair to say that even at $130K a lot of people on this board would be interested in such a car. But apparently the fact that the Z06 won't say "Porsche" on it somewhere means that it is prejudged to be inferior in some way. I think if GM can make a profit with this car at $59K, we will see them increase production of it every year, and have some of its technology trickle into the reguloar C6 over the next few years. Hopefully this will push Porsche to offer even better cars than they build today.

Although difficult, is is important to consider what one's inherent biases are in a thread like this. If you reread these posts it seems clear that not everyone can be objective about the products of competing brands. I guess the same emotional attachment people feel to Porsche can also cloud their appreciation of other vehicles. I'm buying a 987S for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post in this thread, but picking Porsche this time certainly wouldn't preclude me from considering a car like the Z06 next time I'm shopping.

mcdelaug

boyz, boyz, boyz

this Z06 is a serious rig. have i ever owned a corvette before? no way. i ordered 3 of these just to be sure i got one. GT2 performance for 1/3 the $. this IS the new paradigm. any car that costs more will have to justify its existence and value/performance proposition. why spend more? better be a darn good reason.

serious wake up call for Ferrari, Porsche and lesser brands.

Gentlemen, gentlemen, recently Ferrari and Maserati could only see the tail lights of a Corvette on a race track.

The FIA GT Championship is being upset Chevy.

Its ironic to see 575 GTC's and Maserati MC12's unable to catch a last generation Corvette:

http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=12491

2006 C6 Z06 buyers will get the same motor, built by the same company, but detuned for the street and many other race parts - chassis improvements, brakes, carbon fiber fenders, steering rack,coolers for gearbox, steering and differential etc., and a free(!)sports exhaust system that bypasses the mufflers after 3000rpms all on the production Z06 street car. 3100lbs and 505hp will make for some interesting duels on the autobahn.

Its first gear is good for 100kph at its 7100rpm redline, so starting out should be relatively easy

It has 100ft lbs more torque at 1500rpms then a new BMW M5 makes at at 5500rpms. Top speed will probably be 205mph.

Is that not a good deal if you truly want to go fast

I love all things Porsche, but the new Z06 is too good of a sports car to not take very very seriously.

OK, i'm a bit confused. Does GM actually make a profit on Z06s?

Quote:
    brunner said:

Yes.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    brunner said:

Yes.

I guess they will make a profit after a couple years of selling them - once they recoup the significant development costs. It's nice to see a company invest so heavily in new technology for a street car. It's somewhat frustrating to see Porsche just re-marketing the same technology as something new (i.e. Cayman) and raising the price, just because they can...

No Way I Would Pay 59K For A Chevrolet

I don't care what kind of performance it offers. Go look at the way the car is put together and than get back to me. Its not put together much better than a Malibu for pete's sake. And it costs 59K.

So it has a 500hp pushrod engine. The ONLY reason that GM continues to use this technology is that they are CHEAP to make. GM being the pinnacle of automotive technology is long gone. GM uses whatever is cheap to build. The reality is the reason GM is in trouble is they build products the public does not want. That is why Toyota is eating their lunch.

Having had American muscle cars, Japanese and German. Once you go foreign you are never going back. Hate to say it but thats the reality of it.

The Z06 is designed to appeal to a segment of the population that values raw power over everything else. This crowd does not appreciate a Porsche anymore than people that like Thomas Kincaid prints will like a Van Gough. Its whatever strokes your boat.

I am getting ready to order my first Porsche and did a cursory look at the Corvette and its not happening. Sure its faster, more power. Go sit in a Corvette and than go sit in a Porsche and let me know which you like better. Close the door and listen when you close it. Look at how the car is put together.

One word sums it up - junk.

Re: No Way I Would Pay 59K For A Chevrolet

I owned a brand new Corvette back in 1994. It made an awful creaking noise when I backed up and the leather seat wore off after about a year. That was the last American made car I owned.

Sat in the new C6 Corvette at the Cayman preview. Felt like I was sitting in my 1994 Corvette again. Sorry Chevrolet. I don't think I'll be in the market for another Vette, ever.

Finally, the Vette is for a different clientele. I think I've worked hard enough to be beyond that. Just my 2 cents here, I don't want to offend any current or future Corvette owners. I think for the younger guys, it can be a car for them before they move on to develop a taste for a higher level of sophistication. A Chevrolet anything just doesn't do it for me.

Re: Dane will set official Z06 lap time for the Ring

Jan Magnussen will drive one of the first 75 production Z06's at the Ring this week to set the cars official lap time for release to publications.

These people probably don't know Jan, but they wish they did. Notice the flares.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Jan Magnussen will drive one of the first 75 production Z06's at the Ring this week to set the cars official lap time for release to publications.

Jim - What's your guess on a lap time? I'm thinking it will be around 7:42-7:47

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim - What's your guess on a lap time? I'm thinking it will be around 7:42-7:47

Magnussen is very talented. There has to be a ton of pressure on him, both from himself and from GM to really
    nail a killer lap time. Not many drivers get this type of
    high profile record book opportunity.

Lots will depend on the weather for that day...and the Goodyear run flat super car tires are a unknown for the
    sizes used by the Z06.

If he gets a 7:41.99, Im sure everyone wil be overjoyed,
    especially Dr. Phil

Hans Stuck, Walter Rohrl watch out!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    If he gets a 7:41.99, Im sure everyone wil be overjoyed

Is 7:42 a specific record then?

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:So it has a 500hp pushrod engine. The ONLY reason that GM continues to use this technology is that they are CHEAP to make.

I suppose if GM made a more technologically advanced engine that had exactly the same horsepower and torque, cost more to build and had a higher likelihood of failure due to its increased complexity you would deem this a better car somehow.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:GM being the pinnacle of automotive technology is long gone. GM uses whatever is cheap to build. The reality is the reason GM is in trouble is they build products the public does not want. That is why Toyota is eating their lunch.

GM understands their niche. Not everyone is in the market for a car that costs more than $80K. And while many of GM's mainstream vehicles are not worth considering, the Z06 is a serious performance machine. As for people not wanting it, well my 987S was discounted, but that will not be the case with the Z06.

Quote:
    tincanman99 said:Having had American muscle cars, Japanese and German. Once you go foreign you are never going back. Hate to say it but thats the reality of it.

The Z06 is designed to appeal to a segment of the population that values raw power over everything else. This crowd does not appreciate a Porsche anymore than people that like Thomas Kincaid prints will like a Van Gough. Its whatever strokes your boat.

I am getting ready to order my first Porsche and did a cursory look at the Corvette and its not happening. Sure its faster, more power. Go sit in a Corvette and than go sit in a Porsche and let me know which you like better. Close the door and listen when you close it. Look at how the car is put together.

As I've stated in at least two posts in this thread now, much of what you're buying with Porsche is subjective-prestige, styling, interior quality or something of that nature. And those things are important to me too. But in a way, the Z06 may be a more pure expression of what a sportscar should be...certainly a larger percentage of its development costs were spent on its performance, not appearance, styling and other warm, fuzzy frills.

There was a time when driving a Porsche meant that few cars could challenge you from a performance standpoint. Now we have to rely on the sound made when the door closes to be certain that Porsche builds the superior product. Surely Porsche has the expertise to excel at BOTH.

mcdelaug

I think its fair to say that a Corvette Z06 will offer
    the performance of a GT3 but at 45K less.

For 45K you can get a nice Boxster to sit in and obsess
    about interior trim materials and door seals.

Although, comparing the door noises, hood latches, interior trim quality, quality of insturments, panel fit and finish, the 986/987/996/997 are like Fiats when compared to a 993.
    If you owned Porsches made before the M96 era you know what I mean.

Squeaks, thunks, leaks, rattles, electrical gremlins have all been discussed, whined and complained about for the current series of Porsches. Porsche quality can be elusory and a mirage at times, its performance though isnt.

I buy for performance and couldnt give a rats A$$ if the valet is impressed or not, what the reflective value of the paint is or how many Ingrids work in the Exclusive shop sewing leather bits onto air vent slats or scurrying about looking for the yellow seatbelts color blind customers want put into cars.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim - you're being too easy on Porsche. The new Z06 will offer GT2 performance for $125k less...

Quote:
    Grant said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim - you're being too easy on Porsche. The new Z06 will offer GT2 performance for $125k less...

I errored onto the cautious side for comparisons sake to not shock and awe the Porsche disbelievers

Its the Ferrari 575M customers who really arent getting their moneys worth, and that boat stickers for 269,0000
    I think. Not only does it cost a amll fortune, it doesnt
    win much for it.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

For 45K you can get a nice Boxster to sit in and obsess
    about interior trim materials and door seals.

Although, comparing the door noises, hood latches, interior trim quality, quality of insturments, panel fit and finish, the 986/987/996/997 are like Fiats when compared to a 993.
    If you owned Porsches made before the M96 era you know what I mean.

Squeaks, thunks, leaks, rattles, electrical gremlins have all been discussed, whined and complained about for the current series of Porsches. Porsche quality can be elusory and a mirage at times, its performance though isnt.

I buy for performance and couldnt give a rats A$$ if the valet is impressed or not, what the reflective value of the paint is or how many Ingrids work in the Exclusive shop sewing leather bits onto air vent slats or scurrying about looking for the yellow seatbelts color blind customers want put into cars.

For the most part all pretty true......but all you have to do is look at the financial position of Porsche vs. Chevy and it will tell you something. Porsche DOES give a rats A$$ as to what the "average" buyer of its cars looks for....and its not track performance by a long shot. Most if not all of Chevys cars outside of the Corvette are pretty much junk.....and that's what they NEED to sell to get themselves out of a hole.....not Z06s.

So all the pissin' and moanin' about the Z06 vs. the Cayman or the 911 or the GT3 is really mute. I don't think Porsche really cares that much about the Z06.....all they have to do is look at their bottom line and they smile plenty......like it or not. I don't think their in any hurry to upturn the formula at this point.

I think Porsche does care about the race record of the GT3. Why else would Porsche Motorsports invest so much into its development and then Porsche offer road versions of the GT3?

The Cayman is a great platform no doubt, but the price doesnt match its performance relative to what else is available. I dont believe that anyone can demonstrate
    that the cost of goods for Porsche to install a 295hp,
    325hp or 350hp variant of the M96 motor is anything more than marginally different.

So since Porsche's CEO touted the Caymans performance so highly, its ok for his feet to be held to the fire about
    it.

I just re-read another road test of the base 400HP Corvette vs. the 997s. The 0-60 time was won by the 997S while it was all the Corvette after that....including the lap times......and yet Porsche continues to sell as many 997Ss as it has to offer at its lofty price. My local Chevy dealer has a variety of new Vettes on the lot.....pick your color and options. Then again Vettes are more mass produced.

I know most are not thrilled with the price/performance ratio of the Cayman, but I think Porsche looks at the 911 & Boxster and asks why it should be chasing Chevy anyway. It doesn't seem to be hurting them by not doing so, so why bother. Did the last Z06 take away 996 sales?.....I would say no, as the long lived design simply came to an end. Very few people actually cross-shop between Porsches and Chevy. So unless Porsche sales take a nose dive (not likely) I don't think they will be changing the way they do business or build cars in the future.

A change could happen in the future, but only if everyone on this list (and more) that are complaining and threatening to go somewhere else actually do so. Some will, some won't. The new Z06 will only help Chevys image (its always been known for its raw performance), but I don't think it will hurt Porsches (known for its balanced performance). Those who have always dreamed about owning a Porsche will continue to do so (and may get a Cayman) and those who adore the Z06 will get theirs......and most likely each will be happy.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:The Cayman is a great platform no doubt, but the price doesnt match its performance relative to what else is available. I dont believe that anyone can demonstrate
    that the cost of goods for Porsche to install a 295hp,
    325hp or 350hp variant of the M96 motor is anything more than marginally different.

So since Porsche's CEO touted the Caymans performance so highly, its ok for his feet to be held to the fire about
    it.

I agree 100% Jim! The Cayman should be much more than it is.

mcdelaug

C6 Z06 price is out. $65,000 base, with $800 delivery.

Quote:
    mbr129 said:
    C6 Z06 price is out. $65,000 base, with $800 delivery.

Yes, or you can save some money and pick it up at the Corvette museum in Kentucky

About $71K with every avail option - I've seen loaded 987 Boxster S's in dealerships with MSRPs that high but with 220 fewer HP and about the same weight !

Or you could save a ton of money and get new Shelby GT500 Mustang for $40K and change with a rumored 450-500HP and a 12.5 second 1/4 mile.......$25K less than a Z06.

Really, it's all about which car speaks to you the most in all areas that you value the most. For me it isn't the Z06 (looks alone drove me away), or the GT500 (one four letter word - FORD), and the verdict is still out on the Cayman till I see a road test or two.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    779565 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442305 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263143 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261434 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85667 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5832 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881137 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    817784 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM