Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Porsche's "Truth" abour Price Increases

"Porsche will raise prices in all markets for certain models by as much as 2.8 percent beginning June 1 because of strong demand for its lineup, the German luxury carmaker told Reuters last week. Models affected include the 2005 Cayenne S SUV and Boxster and Boxster S sports cars. In addition, Porsche said its next-generation 911 sports cars, also known as the 997, will cost 2 percent more than current-generation 911s starting Aug. 1."

Porsche claiming that "strong demand" is the reason for price increases seems a bit peculiar. Their press release
    gives no sales facts to substantiate it.

Everyone understands the Euro/Dollar issue, new model changes, higher cost to manufacture etc..

Claiming sales are so good that they have to raise prices seems to be stretching the truth when Porsche dealers are so willing to sell for under suggested retail pricing.

Re: Porsche's "Truth" abour Price Increases

Porsche seems more focused now on profits than cutting edge tech. Dont get me wrong, I realize they have a business to run, but it seems like they are kind of sitting on the line between niche sports car manufacturer and something else.

A corporation/company is a machine.

A dollar goes in and 3 dollars come out. Doesn't matter whether that dollar is used on building cars, computers, or whatever. It's kind of like a money pyramid if you really think about it.

in the end it's still our decision on whether to purchase the car or not. if you're not willing to pay the price, don't buy the car, complaining about it doesn't really help, especially when the increment is so minute....

Quote:
    Mike S said:
    in the end it's still our decision on whether to purchase the car or not. if you're not willing to pay the price, don't buy the car, complaining about it doesn't really help, especially when the increment is so minute....

yeah, that's sounds about right to me. it's really their job to get as much for their cars as possible.

Maybe you guys rushed by it or the thread took off elsewhere, but I was commenting on their claimed sales increase as their stated reason for increasing prices,
    not the fact that they could or should raise prices.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Maybe you guys rushed by it or the thread took off elsewhere, but I was commenting on their claimed sales increase as their stated reason for increasing prices,
    not the fact that they could or should raise prices.

Quite quite ,, but with sales up which I believe , and with backing of many mags that this car is worth every penny amd more there going to nip up the prices because people will pay it , simple

As Mike states if people pay they shall take..

throt.

I don't know about the US but here in Germany, you have to wait up to 8 months for a 997, depending on the model and options. A waiting time of 3-4 months is considered to be "normal" over here for a Porsche model.
    997 sales seem to have started off pretty well over the past few months, I see more and more 997 on the street over here and more and more used 996 on the market with some pretty spectacular price drops on used 996, no matter if Carrera 2, Turbo or even GT3.

I still have problems to understand Porsche's model and price strategy and the fact that they don't seem to have earned too much money with their cars but with financial "speculations" seems to prove that I'm right with my doubts. But as long as the shareholders are happy, Mr. Wiedeking can do what he wants.

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    "Porsche will raise prices in all markets for certain models by as much as 2.8 percent beginning June 1 because of strong demand for its lineup, the German luxury carmaker told Reuters last week. Models affected include the 2005 Cayenne S SUV and Boxster and Boxster S sports cars. In addition, Porsche said its next-generation 911 sports cars, also known as the 997, will cost 2 percent more than current-generation 911s starting Aug. 1."

Porsche claiming that "strong demand" is the reason for price increases seems a bit peculiar. Their press release

Everyone understands the Euro/Dollar issue, new model changes, higher cost to manufacture etc..

Claiming sales are so good that they have to raise prices seems to be stretching the truth when Porsche dealers are so willing to sell for under suggested retail pricing.

Jim I agree there is no evidence that their sport car segment is doing well. The recent Wall Street Journal article stated otherwise. Porsche sport car sales are in a decline.

By all accounts, Porsche makes more money per car than any other manufacturer in the world. So assuming their reason for the price increase is correct, the corporate philosophy is to stick it to the customer because he/she wants to buy their new product and not because of substantial increase in cost?

Agree that purported logic of price increases is hard to follow. But have observed that 997S supply in US major mkts seems to be very tight vs demand, even 10 mos. post-launch. Not clear is if it's a conscious strategy by P to elevate 911's brand and resale value, for future premium MSRP pricing opportunities on cars like 997TTS....or is it just supplier problems limiting production?

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:

Jim I agree there is no evidence that their sport car segment is doing well. The recent Wall Street Journal article stated otherwise. Porsche sport car sales are in a decline.

By all accounts, Porsche makes more money per car than any other manufacturer in the world. So assuming their reason for the price increase is correct, the corporate philosophy is to stick it to the customer because he/she wants to buy their new product and not because of substantial increase in cost?

Nick, when I saw the Reuters porsche press release with this info I looked a second time for your name on the byline

I think Porsche does a really good job of turning 1 dollar into 10 dollars and I hand it to them for their very bold price model experiment with the Cayman.

I was just wanting to see some precise unit numbers from Porsche for Q4/04 and Q1/05 sales, and the Porsche press release did not include any rough data, like "10% sales increase" etc..

I just got this off CNN so maybe Porsche is telling the truth?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/06/01/auto_sales.reut/index.html

Meanwhile, German luxury car maker Porsche AG increased car sales in North America by 25 percent to a record 3,567 units in May thanks primarily to strong demand for its revamped Boxster, the company said Wednesday.

Sales of its mid-engined roadster rose 142 percent to 1,051 units in Porsche's core market, while those of its classic 911 sports coupe gained 17 percent to 1,089 cars.

Its Cayenne SUV continued to suffer a drop in sales, albeit a minor one, as only 1,383 vehicles left dealer showrooms, representing a decline of 6 percent.

Quote:
    911fan said:
    I just got this off CNN so maybe Porsche is telling the truth?

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/06/01/auto_sales.reut/index.html

Meanwhile, German luxury car maker Porsche AG increased car sales in North America by 25 percent to a record 3,567 units in May thanks primarily to strong demand for its revamped Boxster, the company said Wednesday.

Sales of its mid-engined roadster rose 142 percent to 1,051 units in Porsche's core market, while those of its classic 911 sports coupe gained 17 percent to 1,089 cars.

Its Cayenne SUV continued to suffer a drop in sales, albeit a minor one, as only 1,383 vehicles left dealer showrooms, representing a decline of 6 percent.

Thanks, thats the info I was looking for!

Don't lose faith yet Nick!

Incidentally, from January - May 2005 Porsche sales are up 5.2% in the U.S. over the same period last year (source: Ward's AutoinfoBank).

From the official Porsche website.

Porsche: All-time sales record in North America

Stuttgart. Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG, Stuttgart, has achieved a new all-time sales record in North America. In May 2005, 3,567 vehicles were shipped to customers in the US and Canada - more than in any month ever before. This also marks an increase of 25 percent on the 2,858 units shipped in May 2004. This growth was driven by the new generations of sports cars that are enormously popular in Porsche's most important market.

In particular, the Boxster experienced a strong growth surge in North America in May: sales of the Roadster increased by 142 percent against May 2004 to 1,051 units. The 911 series also saw considerable growth. Sales of the 911 increased by 17 percent to 1,089 vehicles. There was also increased demand for the high performance sports car, the Carrera GT, which shipped 44 units (previous year: 19 vehicles).

1,383 Cayenne units were sold (down six percent), which means that the number of the sporty all-terrain vehicles shipped has almost reached the same level as the previous year. Compared to the first few months of this calendar year, this trend has significantly gathered pace again.

You just ruined Nick's day

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

heheehehe..just call me dr.evil!

Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Please I have always held the posters on this board in high esteem. Must I give you a lesson in statistics?

Y2004 was a horrible year for Porsche sport car sales. Boxster were not being sold and the 996 was being phased out. Thus sales for new model Y2005 will always look great. It all depends on what basis your using from year to year. The record year is related to all sales which includes the Cayenne which as you all know was not introduced until latter 2003.

When you compare Porsche sport car sales in 2005 to what it was in 2001-2002-2003 you will find there has been a fairly significant drop.

Hey I honestly hope Porsche sells 200,000 cars. From my point of view they are the GM of the sport car world. They have more look alike models than GM.

Quote:
    Hey I honestly hope Porsche sells 200,000 cars. From my point of view they are the GM of the sport car world. They have more look alike models than GM.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Please I have always held the posters on this board in high esteem. Must I give you a lesson in statistics?

Y2004 was a horrible year for Porsche sport car sales. Boxster were not being sold and the 996 was being phased out. Thus sales for new model Y2005 will always look great. It all depends on what basis your using from year to year. The record year is related to all sales which includes the Cayenne which as you all know was not introduced until latter 2003.

When you compare Porsche sport car sales in 2005 to what it was in 2001-2002-2003 you will find there has been a fairly significant drop.

Ahhhhhh.... you want those Porsche rebate cupons to show up in the mail!

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Really Nick, I had you in high esteem. The 997 was introduced this year with only its RWD carrera and cab versions only being available. If you are going to make a comparison, compare sales with the year 1999 when the 996 was introduced as well, not in its mid-life years 2001-2002-2003 you so arbitrarily picked

Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:
    Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    JimFlat6 said:
    Quote:
    Carlos from Spain said:

Really Nick, I had you in high esteem. The 997 was introduced this year with only its RWD carrera and cab versions only being available. If you are going to make a comparison, compare sales with the year 1999 when the 996 was introduced as well, not in its mid-life years 2001-2002-2003 you so arbitrarily picked

And even better Nick, please give us the ACTUAL sales figures from whatever year you're making your miscalculations from to indicate that P cars are in a horrible decline. I don't know about San Diego, but elsewhere in the world, there's no way a business can be in a chronic state of decline as you seem to believe and yet be on a path to 100K cars. Tell me, how could that be ?

here in Belgium, the prices increase until 1/8/6

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    809033 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    450511 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    267802 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91025 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    7891 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

888677 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    837972 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM