Crown

Forum - Thread

stone chips

Today I did my own serious wash of the car ( after nearly one year of ownership and 11'000 km  Smiley  ) . 

I noticed so many stone chips ..... all over the car . The front bumper, the wheel arches, a huge one on the front right wing, on the outside of the air intakes on both sides,  on the front part of the back wings, on top of the back wings .  What is saved is only  the doors , the roof, and the back .

Before I always had darker cars, not noticing too much the stone chips .

Also , I do not like clear bras, so I thought, when I got the car, that some years down the road , I would just repaint the front bumper and the hood . 

I did not realize , the whole car would get stone chips !!!

Normally I would not care too much, but as this is an orange car, the chips show well ( white ) + as the car is keeping it's value strongly , I start to worry that this would affect it quite a bit ..... ( ?? )

How do you guys ( who track your cars ) cope with this ? 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Re: stone chips

Official Porsche Lava Orange touch up paint! laugh

Yes, Porsche actually do stock those, I had one.

--

Gnil:

Just a thought, bud, but why not get something slower for those hard hitting track days. Like a GT4, a white one Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

throt:
    Gnil:

Just a thought, bud, but why not get something slower for those hard hitting track days. Like a GT4, a white one Smiley..

You got your physics mixed up mate Smiley Stones hit you from the car in front of you. If the Lava RS has many stone chips it is hence the slower car. So better get a faster one, like a white GT4, and stay ahead of the pack Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

If you can't stomach the chips, you could attempt to hold a straight face and tape your car like these crazy people do.

There are just stone chips. Haven't really cared for a long time... They are cars...

Whoopsy:

But you can see it when you apply it, don't you ? 

--

throt:
    Gnil:

You got your physics mixed up mate Smiley Stones hit you from the car in front of you. If the Lava RS has many stone chips it is hence the slower car. So better get a faster one, like a white GT4, and stay ahead of the pack Smiley

-- 

Way too slow on the straights !!!! Smiley  But in the curves, those damm white GT4 are a nightmare to try to follow Smiley

--

SciFrog:

There are just stone chips. Haven't really cared for a long time... They are cars...

I have always taken it that way, but as I might want to sell this one quickly, I am not happy with the chips ! 

And in 3 or 4 years it will look more like this :

aid2663713-728px-Make-a-Clown-Costume-Step-6-Version-2.jpg

@ noone1 : That's exactly what I wanted to avoid Smiley
    --

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Actually it works pretty well.

The Lava Orange has a white primer coat, so any chips will stand out. But with the touch up the white don't show anymore and at first glance you won't see them. Of course in close examination one can still see...............

--

throt:
    Gnil:

I understand you, throt. You are trying to say that In a GT4 the other cars constantly overtake you and are well gone in to the distance, thus nothing in front hindering your pace and kicking up debris.. Brothers Gnil and blue are not listening, buddy.

Smiley....

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

I don't know whether you asked seriously how one copes with stone chips....anyway, since I had my stone chip vacuum cleaner 944 in dark Blue I have all my Porsche wrapped with 3M. Over the years the material got thinner and thinner and I would trust that you would not spot a difference to "just paint"...so, get a respray and then the wrap. My 2cts.

Whoopsy:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Actually it works pretty well.

The Lava Orange has a white primer coat, so any chips will stand out. But with the touch up the white don't show anymore and at first glance you won't see them. Of course in close examination one can still see...............

I use this too...

i'm not a fan of a clear wrap too,becouse in Italy there is not so much installer,soo this is the only alternative.

Till now,i have only a few stone chips...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Obviously don't respray until you plan to sell.

The clear bra on my R8 is basically invisible. I told my dealer to remove the stripes the car had and the dealer told me that the clear bra in the front will need to go as well in the process.

Just recently, I found out that the clear bra is still there, covering the front bumper, front hood and front fenders. Didn't have a clue, pretty good job in my opinion because I couldn't see a thing and didn't notice it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Moral of the story? Don't wash the car..

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

Gnil:

Today I did my own serious wash of the car ( after nearly one year of ownership and 11'000 km  Smiley  ) . 

I noticed so many stone chips ..... all over the car . The front bumper, the wheel arches, a huge one on the front right wing, on the outside of the air intakes on both sides,  on the front part of the back wings, on top of the back wings .  What is saved is only  the doors , the roof, and the back .

Before I always had darker cars, not noticing too much the stone chips .

Also , I do not like clear bras, so I thought, when I got the car, that some years down the road , I would just repaint the front bumper and the hood . 

I did not realize , the whole car would get stone chips !!!

Normally I would not care too much, but as this is an orange car, the chips show well ( white ) + as the car is keeping it's value strongly , I start to worry that this would affect it quite a bit ..... ( ?? )

Orange car and tracked as well, I feel a front end respray (bumper, bootlid and fenders) leaves you with a clean looking car after 2 years. I'm also not a fan of wraps/clear bra's... I've had two of these resprays by now, it's not too costly...

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

DaveGordon:

Moral of the story? Don't wash the car..

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Thanks guys ....  With get some touch up paint , and respray when I' ll sell it .

But for now I will stick with Dave's advice , which has always worked fine for me   Smiley

--

between using the car and having stone chips and just babying it....you did the right thing. call it patina.

foiling is a great option. it saves you from stone chips and scratches.

I have been doing full wraps on all my cars for years.

if you don't want to do the whole car, definitely cover the areas that are exposed the most.

imo a resprainted car holds less value than a car with stone chips.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

I still don't understand the big deal with a clear bra (aka foiling your car with clear protective foil) but I guess I am missing something here? yes

I agree, a new paint could always raise some eyebrows and touch up paint jobs are rarely well done.

Not washing the car is of course a solution but when people start writing "wash me" or "I am dirty" on your car, this is going to be interesting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

If clear bra is the answer, why don't manufacturers include them?

FWIW, I had my GT3 done with clear bra cost around $2200. When I was selling the car, no one asked about it and nor did they care when I told them I had it on the car. Also, on couple of my Ferrari's stones chipped the clear bra and it was as unsightly as paint chips. You could remove the clear bra but there would be a slight difference in paint from the rest of the car.

I decided against clear bra for my Targa. I'll Iet the next owner decide what he/she wants to do about chips on the car.

--

To learn how to live is to learn how to hang on. To learn how to die is to learn how to let go.

For what it's worth, when i've repaired stone chips, I tend to use a magnifying glass and run a very small amount of paint into the hole left by the stone chip using a pin or a needle rather than a small brush. Makes the touch-up much less noticeable than if it had been done with a touch up brush.

--

DaveGordon:

For what it's worth, when i've repaired stone chips, I tend to use a magnifying glass and run a very small amount of paint into the hole left by the stone chip using a pin or a needle rather than a small brush. Makes the touch-up much less noticeable than if it had been done with a touch up brush.

Purchase a super small fine artist brush. The chips do notice when you blob too much paint on..Smiley..

And on fast motorways ( and any road for that matter ) , keep your distance from the car in front. Thats a big help Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Clear bra is usually a waste. Rarely do people care about some minor stone chips on a used car. It's pretty much expected that a used car with 5-10K miles is not going to be perfect.

Expensive clear bras ruin expensive paint jobs IMO.

throt:
    DaveGordon:

Purchase a super small fine artist brush. The chips do notice when you blob too much paint on..Smiley..

And on fast motorways ( and any road for that matter ) , keep your distance from the car in front. Thats a big help Smiley..

Hehe, when I was a teenager I worked in a model shop that sold those super-fine brushes.. They'd work too, for sure, but take more cleaning ;-)

You actually touch on another topic when you mention don't follow anyone too closely on the autobahn.. This is very true, especially at high speed. I've ended up with a lot of chips in my windscreen doing this :-(

--

nberry:

If clear bra is the answer, why don't manufacturers include them?

Actually, why don't manufacturers make their cars difficult to steal? That car jacking excuse is getting old.

Clear bras cost additional money and would ruin the margin. Also, paint damages like stone chips give dealers the opportunity to make additional money and/or to save/"earn" money when people return leases.

FWIW, I had my GT3 done with clear bra cost around $2200. When I was selling the car, no one asked about it and nor did they care when I told them I had it on the car. Also, on couple of my Ferrari's stones chipped the clear bra and it was as unsightly as paint chips. You could remove the clear bra but there would be a slight difference in paint from the rest of the car.

The trick is to give the whole car a nice professional deep polish after you get the clear bra removed, it will look as new.

I decided against clear bra for my Targa. I'll Iet the next owner decide what he/she wants to do about chips on the car.

Well, if the stone chips could "cost" you some money when you want to sell the car but most importantly, they just look ugly.

--

Maybe car manufacturers should offer the clear bra as an option? How many drivers would tick it? I think it depends largely on how the car is being used. On the other hand, if you clear bra it, isn't it like putting plastic over some nice furniture? By the way, I'm in the "no bra" camp ;-)

--

If I don't fly, I drive my .:RS 

Clear bra has always made me think of this ..........

30b13e716dc5a843e8300a3b713754de.jpg

d79081c5f2b3d6fdca32a74650b40d73.jpg

--

The matching hand bag is a nice touch. Looks like she wrapped that too.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    759899 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    433942 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    259801 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    256949 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5308 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

870830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    805921 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM