Crown

Board: AMG Mercedes Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Will 7 speed be in the E55

Which production year will the E55 be equiped with 7-speed?

Also, Will the US version have sport 2 setting?

300km/h adapatation is a NO for sure in the U.S.? Even if contact AMG directly?

Re: Will 7 speed be in the E55

It's hard to imagine AMG models would be missing on 7G transmission when AMG cars are based on 8 cylinder Mercedes platform. I bet the 7G supports up to (or more than) 700Nm of torque.

Re: Will 7 speed be in the E55

It's hard to imagine AMG models would be missing on 7G transmission when AMG cars are based on 8 cylinder Mercedes platform. I bet the 7G supports up to (or more than) 700Nm of torque.

hopefully soon enough

2004 model year seem to have one important options which isn't avaliable in the 2003, DVD Command System, they didn't officially announce 7G transmission yet, if most of the V8 will going to get it during 2004 production.. Why won't AMG model line have one?

Some rumors I heard, SL55 will be replaced by SL65, how about E55?

I should be alittle patient, no point to rush into it yet.

hopefully soon enough

2004 model year seem to have one important options which isn't avaliable in the 2003, DVD Command System, they didn't officially announce 7G transmission yet, if most of the V8 will going to get it during 2004 production.. Why won't AMG model line have one?

Re: hopefully soon enough

Quote:

The only thing available for MY 2004 is the COMAND system, a DVD based navigation system with the option of an incorporated Sirius Satellite Radio (almost 600 USD plus monthly fee of around 13 USD). There are some rumored SBC improvements (mostly software, can be retrofitted as far as I heard) but nothing more.
    The SL65 will not replace the SL55. The SL65 will cost much more than the SL55, it is more like a SL55 supercar.
    There are rumors that the entire "55" class gets new engines by 2005, supercharged V8 engines with direct fuel injection and 520-560 HP. But as always, rumors have to be taken with a grain of salt.
    William, why not go for the SL65? A Cab with 612 HP sounds great, doesn't it? It still won't be the kind of sports car you might want to own but at least you'll have a real power monster. Add a SL350 badge to it and people at University won't care too much about your car.

Regarding the 300 kph speed limit raise: it is only available at AMG in Affalterbach directly and it can be ordered (and retrofitted!) only to cars from markets where the 300 kph speed limit raise is approved. It is not approved for the US market, so you can't officially retrofit it, even if you bring your car to AMG in Affalterbach. Seems to have something to do with legal concerns.

Regarding the 7-speed auto tranny: I'm pretty sure there will be a 7-speed auto tranny on AMG models sooner or later. Marketing-wise it wouldn't be a good idea to offer the 7-speed on the E500, SL500, etc. but not on the AMG models. However I'm not sure how much of an advantage this would bring to the high torque engines.

Re: hopefully soon enough

Quote:

The only thing available for MY 2004 is the COMAND system, a DVD based navigation system with the option of an incorporated Sirius Satellite Radio (almost 600 USD plus monthly fee of around 13 USD). There are some rumored SBC improvements (mostly software, can be retrofitted as far as I heard) but nothing more.
    The SL65 will not replace the SL55. The SL65 will cost much more than the SL55, it is more like a SL55 supercar.
    There are rumors that the entire "55" class gets new engines by 2005, supercharged V8 engines with direct fuel injection and 520-560 HP. But as always, rumors have to be taken with a grain of salt.
    William, why not go for the SL65? A Cab with 612 HP sounds great, doesn't it? It still won't be the kind of sports car you might want to own but at least you'll have a real power monster. Add a SL350 badge to it and people at University won't care too much about your car.

Regarding the 300 kph speed limit raise: it is only available at AMG in Affalterbach directly and it can be ordered (and retrofitted!) only to cars from markets where the 300 kph speed limit raise is approved. It is not approved for the US market, so you can't officially retrofit it, even if you bring your car to AMG in Affalterbach. Seems to have something to do with legal concerns.

Regarding the 7-speed auto tranny: I'm pretty sure there will be a 7-speed auto tranny on AMG models sooner or later. Marketing-wise it wouldn't be a good idea to offer the 7-speed on the E500, SL500, etc. but not on the AMG models. However I'm not sure how much of an advantage this would bring to the high torque engines.

thanks for the info.

Quote:

There got to be ways around that right? RC, do you have any connection with AMG people? I drive my Turbo way above.....hmm.... 250kph limiter is going to be an issue for me

thanks for the info.

Quote:

There got to be ways around that right? RC, do you have any connection with AMG people? I drive my Turbo way above.....hmm.... 250kph limiter is going to be an issue for me

Re: thanks for the info.

Quote:

Well, I'll tell you after my visit to Affalterbach.
    In the worst case scenario, you could get a "copy" of the delimited software. But as far as I know, getting a power upgrade from Renntech in the US (incl. the speed raise) might be a good idea too because they work closely with MKB together.
    Will your (future?) E55 get US license plates or foreign plates? Might be an issue for the speed raise.

Re: thanks for the info.

Quote:

Well, I'll tell you after my visit to Affalterbach.
    In the worst case scenario, you could get a "copy" of the delimited software. But as far as I know, getting a power upgrade from Renntech in the US (incl. the speed raise) might be a good idea too because they work closely with MKB together.
    Will your (future?) E55 get US license plates or foreign plates? Might be an issue for the speed raise.

warrenty will be my worry.

Even if most of the time, the tuner like Brabus, Renntech claimed they can provide same warranty as Mercedes. I still have heard negative stories when something actually happened with some customer's drivetrain. If the dealer have good connection with Renntech, then it will be a different story.

Warrenty is a very tricky business in the US. It's not so black and white unfortunely.

warrenty will be my worry.

Even if most of the time, the tuner like Brabus, Renntech claimed they can provide same warranty as Mercedes. I still have heard negative stories when something actually happened with some customer's drivetrain. If the dealer have good connection with Renntech, then it will be a different story.

Warrenty is a very tricky business in the US. It's not so black and white unfortunely.

Re: warrenty will be my worry.

Quote:

This is actually pretty interesting, William. I always thought that warranty isn't tricky at all in the US and that the dealers have clearly to provide proof that the failure is connected to the aftermarket mod.
    Well, here in Germany warranty is very tricky too. Mercedes has the so called "Pascha List" as far as I remember. When the dealer finds out that the car has been altered with (ECU, engine mods, suspension mods, etc.), he is obliged to report it. A similar thing exists also with Porsche as far as I know and I bet other car manufacturers have their own methods to deal with aftermarket mods. I always find it funny when people do for example ECU mods and think they're undetectable. They might be undetectable by the regular "imnotinthemoodtowork" mechanic at the dealership but as soon as a factory rep has to come to check (for example if the engine needs replacement), you're busted.
    Even if the dealer did the aftermarket install, this doesn't mean it is covered by the factory warranty (some people don't seem to understand that).
    Best thing to do is to go to a reputable Tuner like Brabus to get an additional warranty for stuff which isn't covered by factory warranty or to have some kind of "secret arrangement" with your own dealer who sold you the car and who does the aftermarket install. The factory knows only what he reports.

I'm actually a little bit disappointed that AMG doesn't offer so called powerkits as Porsche does. It shouldn't be difficult to pull an additional 30-40 HP out of the supercharged V8 engines without compromising reliability too much.
    They could sell these kits for let's say 5000 EUR as a new car option and 7000 EUR as a retrofit kit including install.
    Brabus charges a fortune (if I remember correctly around 17000 EUR) for the 530 HP kit on the E55. I understand it comes with a warranty but this is a lot of money for so little power. Considering that most E55 already have around 500 HP power from the factory, 30 HP more for 17000 EUR are completely exaggerated.

Quote:

This is actually pretty interesting, William. I always thought that warranty isn't tricky at all in the US and that the dealers have clearly to provide proof that the failure is connected to the aftermarket mod.
    Well, here in Germany warranty is very tricky too. Mercedes has the so called "Pascha List" as far as I remember. When the dealer finds out that the car has been altered with (ECU, engine mods, suspension mods, etc.), he is obliged to report it. A similar thing exists also with Porsche as far as I know and I bet other car manufacturers have their own methods to deal with aftermarket mods. I always find it funny when people do for example ECU mods and think they're undetectable. They might be undetectable by the regular "imnotinthemoodtowork" mechanic at the dealership but as soon as a factory rep has to come to check (for example if the engine needs replacement), you're busted.
    Even if the dealer did the aftermarket install, this doesn't mean it is covered by the factory warranty (some people don't seem to understand that).
    Best thing to do is to go to a reputable Tuner like Brabus to get an additional warranty for stuff which isn't covered by factory warranty or to have some kind of "secret arrangement" with your own dealer who sold you the car and who does the aftermarket install. The factory knows only what he reports.

I'm actually a little bit disappointed that AMG doesn't offer so called powerkits as Porsche does. It shouldn't be difficult to pull an additional 30-40 HP out of the supercharged V8 engines without compromising reliability too much.
    They could sell these kits for let's say 5000 EUR as a new car option and 7000 EUR as a retrofit kit including install.
    Brabus charges a fortune (if I remember correctly around 17000 EUR) for the 530 HP kit on the E55. I understand it comes with a warranty but this is a lot of money for so little power. Considering that most E55 already have around 500 HP power from the factory, 30 HP more for 17000 EUR are completely exaggerated.

Quote:
    Even if the dealer did the aftermarket install, this doesn't mean it is covered by the factory warranty (some people don't seem to understand that)

This is very true!!

I think the bottom line is, its all boils down to the value of the customer and risk factor. To lose dealership credibilty or to lose a value customer. Behind the curtain, dealer can be very dark and ugly... don't want to say too much now

Quote:
    Even if the dealer did the aftermarket install, this doesn't mean it is covered by the factory warranty (some people don't seem to understand that)

This is very true!!

I think the bottom line is, its all boils down to the value of the customer and risk factor. To lose dealership credibilty or to lose a value customer. Behind the curtain, dealer can be very dark and ugly... don't want to say too much now

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689549 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409227 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255735 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65524 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4646 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857969 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774025 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM