Whoopsy:
RC:
CGX car nut:
the-missile:

I won't blame MB to try to copy the 911 layout but rather blaming PAG to release a bloated 911 that everyone can now copy with their car...more and more the past is the way to go. Smaller 911 remains unmatched.

On the other hand, the R129 is a very very cool and iconic car!

Again the problems are the changing regulatory system and consumer preferences.  These are the culprits that have helped forced Porsche's design hands into making larger 911s.  Part of the bloat of the 922's rear directly results from the need to contain particulate filters within the limited engine compartment and retain performance.  That requires larger volume filters and when the engine is rear mounted, we know what the end result is for the 992.  

Smiley Pedestrian and driver safety, other stuff, emissions and so on...to build smaller cars, you need to take serious money into your hands and the profit drops. Smiley

Between 991 and 992, the size increase is mostly at the waist, aka passenger compartment. Which is due to the ever increasing size of their customers in the USA market. 

911s have nothing under the bonnet, there is no need to increase the size or height there for pedestrians. 

The rear width wasn't THAT MUCH wider than a 991, plenty of room in the ass in a 911, especially if Porsche is willing to sacrifice the useless rear seat 'room'. 

992 is what happened when Porsche had to design a passenger cell to fit a 325lb driver and a 380lb passenger. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I am of average build, I fit perfectly fine in the original 911, the 964, the 993, the 996 and so on. Heck, it's perfectly roomy inside the 968, or the 928. 

With them making an SL out of a 911, I ma positively attracted to the new SL. Why buy a SL pretender when I can have a proper SL?

--

Could it be that the size was increased to make room for the hardware and batteries of the upcoming hybrid and EV variants?

Second, there are new markets now outside the traditional ones in Europe and North America, where size matters. The larger the better. Next to the new Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Aston Martins the pre-992 911s looked very meagre to the eyes of the new clientele. For those the Porsches of the bygone era are totally unknown and irrelevant.

For me the optimum size 911 is the 997. Ideal dimensions in every respect.

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"