reginos:

I wonder if in these reliability reports the various faults receive a weighting according to how crucial or expensive they are to rectify? Or they just take into account visits to the workshop/days off the road, which are a nuisance nevertheless but they don't always relate to serious failures. There is a difference between replacing a sensor or a sound system speaker and replacing your drivetrain, for example.

I take these consumer reports with a pinch of salt.

From my experience all the cars I owned in the last 20 years had been from all the German owned brands and very satisfactory in terms of reliability, including 2 Porsches with the allegedly notorious M96 engines.

Personally, I wouldn't go near a Lexus even if it came with a lifetime guarantee.

You are on to something. When I read into the details of the Tesla faults last year they included people who simply die not understand the operation of the car and had questions. Not problems.   I would assume the same this year. Let’s face it the top of the list looks like cars none of us would buy without hype like this for them.