Leawood911:
CGX car nut:

Do not underestimate the general public's ability to do something stupid.  If this car was so safe why did it allow itself to crash through a house after reaching 116 mph on a short road?  

What exactly do you expect it to do?  
Does your car put itself in park, turn off, lock up and enter sentry mode when you simply open the door and walk away or would it roll away in drive and run into something if you did not put it in park and turn it off?  Get my point?  The Tesla drove me from KC to Austin without intervention through a maze of highways in Dallas that would drive a local loco. Passing cars and making each turn signal. 
you like to use isolated incidents which are clearly human error to make a point which actual safety stats totally contradict. 
your logic is not exactly car specific.  You will not find me underestimating human stupidity.  Tesla is doing more about safety and this problem than anyone else. 

The Japanese market version of the Nissan GT-R, for example, has had since 2007 a GPS enabled speed limit. Such technology is readily adaptable to the self-proclaimed fastest and safest car in the world.  Geofencing is a fairly established technology and it is well within the current technology envelop to install as system that prevents a driver from driving a car with speeds far in excess of the stopping distances available as well as allow higher speeds on track.