Quote:
Fanch said:
Quote:
NM said:
Fanch,

I also remember reading a few years ago that the 997 or 998 (can't remember which) engine bay was large enough to accomodate an 8 cylinder engine - possibly from the Cayenne. Which would give enough growth potential for future 911s, although the increased weight would be a major issue.

That, I think will never happened.
Remember the other characteristic of the 911, its 6 Cyl Boxer
Seriously, Durheimer himself quoted it.

Porsche officials don't say much officially to the press, but when they say something, they keep to their word. (so far!):

- There will never be a cheaper model than the 2.7L Boxster (which BTW leads me to believe that the Base Cayman will be slightly more expensive than the base Boxster and maybe something like 260 hp)

- There will never be a Cayenne diesel

- There will never be a V8 in the 911.

The last quote is also from Wolfgang Durheimer (chief of R&D) basically explaining that it wouldn't be a 911 anymore but more importantly, as you wrote, that the weight bias would seriously compromise the integrity of the car.

Let's not forget that since the 996, the 911 is not really rear engined anymore, the engine actually "sits" on the rear axle.

But in the past Porsche has put a 4 cylinder engine inside a 911, so an 8? I think anything is possible.