Quote:
VKSF said:
Quote:
Fanch said:
Quote:
OCEAN said:
"RS Magazine" (french) where they tested the convertible 997 with PCCB and then the convertible 997 S with standard brakes...... the journalist concluded that he would give up the extra 30 HP to have the PCCB ! The handling seemed to be so much better because of the loss of weight and much less over-steering. So there much improved handling also with these brakes ... I guess the best would be to have both especially if it improves handling .

Ocean,

Thanks for posting, extremely interesting, as this was also written by recpected Autocar Mag journalist Chris Harris.
He said, get the base Carrera and tick the PCCB option.

Actually, I have that RS mag too and it's very good mag BTW.
Tu parles francais?

I am very good friend with Jean-Marc Bachelier, he writes the driving technique section at the end of the mag.

He is my driving mentor, he taught me everything I know! (mass transfer, double declutching, heel and toe, etc etc etc)

He now teaches different Porsche clubs, private drivers and also runs on the GT FFSA french championship!

He was in Spain and drove the 997 cab and confirmed me the same thing:

Francois,
If there is ONE option you MUST tick, it's PCCB, but not for the breaking power!

He actually found the breaking similar to the normal brakes, but with a firmer brake pedal (nice!)
But mostly for the fact that you save overall 20 kgs of UNSPRUNG mass. 5 kgs per wheel.
Consequence: UNDERTEER DISAPPEARS!
Pretty cool huh?

He also commented on the 20mm suspension and said, that although it makes the car very sharp in its handling, it is not adapted to the 997 bc it doesn't have a dry sump lubrication engine.
For street use, he told me that the PASM and ABD work just fine.
Bear in ming that he is a pro driver, so particularly demanding when it comes to sport driving.
Anything over 1500 kgs for him is bad!
He tested in RS mag of last month the Turbo S and told me, great car but what fat piece of machinery! So heavy!!! Shame.

Interesting comment on 996TTS Coupe's wt...it's only about 150lb heavier than 997S Cab....wonder how many drivers can really perceive that difference without knowing relative weights in advance...

The professional ones I guess!
Bear in ming the Turbo has 4WD too.
He described the feature as being very interesting actually, but hardly optimised for sport.
The difference between the 997S cab and the 996 Turbo S is closer to 200 pounds I think.