I agree with Grant completely regarding all of his points.

I have this question...Who will buy the Cayman?

Although I am a huge fan of the CONCEPT of this car (a mid engine coupe with the most powerful engine offered in a Boxster derivative so far) I cannot understand who will purchase it AT THIS PRICE POINT. Porsche is trying to position this closed roof car based on the Boxster between the Boxster S and the 997. In essence they are asking you to give up the convertible roof and $10K US for 200cc of displacement, 15hp and a name that rhymes with "gay man."

Enthusiasts and poseurs alike would have to see the standard 997 as the better choice even for $10000 more. In fact, buying a used 996 (for less money) would make more sense to me than buying this vehicle for $60K.

Cayman sales may be OK at first, since it will be a novelty, but over time it will require discounting to move this product. It offers none of the heritage/prestige of the 911 and just doesn't make sense from a value standpoint for the Boxster customers.

It would make sense if Porsche intends to push the 911 further "upmarket" in terms of performance and price, and thus allow the Cayman to be the "mid-level Porsche" but that is not what is being done with the current pricing. The current price points are too close together for the 987S, Cayman and standrad 997 for the Cayman to be viable in the long term.

Let me know what you think,

mcdelaug