TB993tt:
RC:
A R8 from Audi makes no sense in my opinion, the RS models would have been enough to improve the brand awareness.

I was discussing this last night with a friend who works for BMW and bemoans the fact that they (BMW) do not have a halo car like the R8 to improve the image of the lowlier models.

BMW is a different story...they are not part of a larger company conglomerate like Audi or Porsche. A super sports car would make sense for them, like another M1. I never understood the i8, this car is basically "dead" in Germany (apparently it has more success in the US) but if they would take the base idea of the i8 and combine it with the right engine choice, well...

I was interested in a TV advert they are showing in the UK at the moment which features an orange R8 doing donuts and leaving the four Audi hoops in tyre marks, I was struck by how the orange R8 used is photographed so that the angles make it look like it could be any generic Audi, of course not completely but it seems they are attempting to reach out to other potential Audi owners with their halo model.

I do not think that Audi owners identify themselves with the R8 in any way. I may be wrong though since I'm not the typical Audi owner (the R8 is my first Audi since that first A3 over 25 years or so ago...). For me, it is a huge advantage that the R8 is an Audi because acceptance in my social environment is much better. Not a fan of the slightly boring design though, I like the front of the Huracan much better and even the back of the Huracan is a bit more inspired than the R8 back side. Audi had to stay an Audi, so they compromised. I am glad they didn't compromise on the driving experience though.

A friend of mine got an R8 V10 as a loaner when his Huracan was in for work and he really thought it boring and uninspiring, I am waiting with interest to see what RC thinks of his following the usual honeymoon period Smiley 

Tell your friend that he has a brand problem. The Huracan and the R8 feel completely the same, if he would close his eyes, he wouldn't notice any difference. Drove both cars back to back. Oh wait...the Huracan I drove had more understeer than the Audi but the car was equipped with semi-slicks. Both cars share over 70%(!) of parts (another source even claimed over 80% parts), the engine, the chassis, the brake system, the gearbox, the cooling system, everything is identical. Also, Lamborghini did not set up the Huracan chassis in a different manner and the engine/exhaust sound isn't different either. Absolutely 100% the same, believe it or not. One reason I love the R8 so much. Yes, the Huracan is much lighter than the R8 because it uses less dampening material and more carbon parts under the "shell" but even that, you cannot feel when you drive both. I expected to be very disappointed with the R8 when I switched to the Huracan (my Audi dealer is also a Lamborghini dealer...) but... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)