Joost:

You know, having car control is fine, and quite essential when you get into a hairy situation, and you could end up in one any time. However, for me there is another major factor which is being ignored here, and that is insight in traffic behavior. Like most of you, when driving on the highway, I can often predict whether a car in front of is going to overtake, or other situations. You learn how to "read" the circumstances. It takes a lot of time behind the wheel to develop this. It helps you estimate what you can and cannot do, where the limits are. There have been so many times that I was in traffic, and felt all the cars around me were a bit "jumpy", to agitated. You learn to back off a bit and to keep your distance, etc. Now all of this will not keep you out of danger, but it will prevent 90% of them. You can't avoid all situations though, and when you end up something "exciting", knowing your car at the limits can help.

+ 1   And this is clearly not integrated in a young driver. I see that when I drive next to my son. The reacts to situations. He does not anticipate.  But , as you say, this only comes with experience. 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm -- 991.2 GT3 RS