Quote:
lemansbluem5 said:
Yes, that is very helpful.
I'm not as concerned about resale because I intend on keeping it > 5 years, and will probably only drive it about 3-4K miles a year, if that. The 987 might look a little better to me inside and out, but the difference is pretty small IMHO.

That's a matter of taste. I drive an 03 986S, but like the 987 interior a lot better.

I've driven an 03 986S and it's simply awesome, so unless the 987 is that much better dynamically, which is hard to fathom,

They say it is even better, and I'm sure it is.
Question is: Would you rather have a 240 bhp no-equipment car, that handles a bit better than a loaded 260bhp similar car that already is recognized as one of the most well-handling cars in the world?

I wouldn't mind going with the 986S at all, since it's faster, looks great, and is loaded vs the base 987. However, it's a little difficult from a psychological standpoint buying an outgoing model, if that makes any sense.

That makes a lot of sense.
And thats why I said before, that I would have picked the new model any day, had it not been for the lack of equipment, and the 987 being the "small" version. A standard 987s versus a standard 986s and the answer is clear.
I would absolutely advice you to test BOTH cars if you have the chance.

And its hard for me to justify (and explain to the spouse) spending >40-45K on a non-essential vehicle-

Well, THAT is a totally different debate...hehe
From a "sanity" point of view, I think you can pretty much forget it.
But if your wife (I assume you're a guy?) accepts you having a Boxster in the first place, I dont think any of the two you're looking at right now would make more or less sense to her.
I dunno how the market is in the US, but over here in Scandinvia the price stays pretty much up there.
Older 986'es from 1999 are still sold (or at least put up for sale) at around 60-75% of the new vehicle price.

How is the patient?