I dont care about the money - a 40Gb ipod with uncompressed music is only about 60-80 CDs worth instead of a few hundred compressed. I know both are far more than any car CD changer will handle, but why limit yourself when you wont notice the difference 99% of the time.

80 Cd's is a lot of CD's and you can get Ipods that go up to 60 gigs for just a little more and soon that will go up .

I wouldn't dream of using compressed music at home,

the acoustics in your car are better than the acoustics in most peoples homes unless the room in the home has had major acoustic room treatment and design . So why do you think your home is more deserving of uncompressed files .

but in a car i dont think i would notice.

burn a CD of the same song on a CD one with the compression and one with the full Wave or Aiff format and take it out to your car and listen to the difference ... you will hear a difference especially on music that was well recorded and more acoustic in nature .

I work in recording studios everyday and we spend fortunes on technology that improves the listening experience , only to watch people compress the stuff lose the dynamics and miss out . Again most people do not A B the two so they do not know what they are missing but if you make a CD of both and compare you will hear the difference .