Quote:
Yargk said:
Quote:
RC said:
Quote:
Grant said:
Dave Hill, head of Corvette team has said that occasional weekend competition at the racetrack will not void the warranty (most recent Autoweek). Makes the huge performance and modest price sound even more enticing

This claim is worth...NOTHING. Occasional weekend competition at the race track? Sounds like non-professional racing/driver ed events to me. Especially Driver ed events or just a few rounds on the track for fun don't necessarily void the warranty on a Porsche car. The warranty problem starts when people begin to modify their cars, using different brake system liquids/lines, semi-slicks or even slicks and roll cages. I never heard that Porsche voided the warranty because of a few rounds on the track for fun.
Meaning: original car without mods and really only a few rounds, not sticking a number to the door and driving the hell out of the car for 10 rounds.

There are a LOT of people who run special brake fluid, half cages, and semi-slicks just for DEs. I consider all that stuff very minor, most track people do. This stuff is seen on cars that just go to "fun" days as long as they go pretty regularly to just fun days. Many people carry timing equipment for DEs so I don't see why time trials wouldn't be covered if DEs were. Wheel to wheel action might be a little much for any car maker to cover under warrantee, but I think DEs should be covered. I'm not quite sure what you mean by drive the hell out of the car. Certainly you should never abuse a car you own on the track. However, I think the point of being on a track at all is the drive at the limit.

yeah, a friend was denied master cylinder warranty coverage based solely on having the blue brake fluid! The dealer claimed he must be tracking the car! Oddly enough, it's a pretty decent sized dealer and they sponsor much of the PCA drivers ed and time trial events. dunno about anyone else, but knowing a dealership who denies claims for the smallest "appearance" of potential track use, has one or more reps at the events keeps me from wanting to participate.