apias:

Wow, thank god. Do they keep anti-venom at the vet, or was he able to revive her by other means?

We give the active dogs [off trail youngers]  antivenom vaccines twice a year, which really limits the damage.  She was the first bit in the face which is more dangerous as near the brain, the only bite type that might be lethal with Pacific Rattlers, but we had her in in an hour and a half from bite.  The vet then added antivenom, fluids and antitbiotics and she came home this morning.  I was wrong about her breathing being choked, vet said it was never an issue.

Whether she learned is another matter, as she was going back to the coiled rattler as I arrived having been bitten already!  Not as snake smart as Sun who got nipped once on his hard front foot pad [no tooth penetration - just too hard], and got the message for the rest of his life.  Since she spends her life off trail in the chaparral it's gonna happen again.

Sky got bit twice on the rear leg at age 2, and spent the night in the canyon in shock with his loyal brother Storm never leaving his sideSmiley.  Sun and I found them the morning and got them home  a 1/2 mile, with Sky, with his huge swollen leg, joining a coyote chase with the others for a 100 yards before I caught himSmiley, so not bad on large dogsSmiley.  Spike Jr came home after a few nights out with a huge hambone size rear leg dragging behind with the tell tale black necrosis spot of a bite, he was fine after a few days.   And Surf was bit in the leg once and same treatment as Sun Ra resolved it.

Everyone else learned but Sun Ra is a pushy alpha bitch and we shall seeSmiley