crayphile:
RC:
the-missile:
RC:

I think McLaren will put at least one AWD car on the market, they have to. It may be a SUV  or a sports car but just imagine the 765LT with AWD and only a 50 kg weight increase. This car would "kill" any other sports car out there. 

sports car and AWD do not match very well in the same sentence. let the 4WD for the SUV but there is enough on the market already Smiley

Why? There is a reason why AWD has been banned in many racing series. Smiley

Ask Walter Röhrl what he thinks about AWD, you may be surprised. Smiley His famous quote "everything but AWD is a compromise" is pretty famous but most "real men" in their "real 2WD" sports cars because they think "drifting or unstable rears are so cool and manly" have a different opinion. Smiley Smiley

To be clear I am not bashing AWD. However, there is no getting away from the steering feel in particular being less satisfying than 2WD. I guess its a case of what one is used to. Also performance on the limit (road and track) is always more predictable with 2WD in my experience -  but that is probably because that is what I am used to.

We are talking road going sportscars here, steering feel is surely a massive element in the enjoyment of the driving experience on the road, 4WD sportscars are not much fun IMO.

I made my 4WD 993 turbo into RWD at some point and with 580PS/800NM and a Drexler 40/60 LSD it was pretty much undrivable on normal roads under power, any cambers when on boost would have you in the hedge ! Fast forward to 997GT2 with its new 997.2GT3RS geometry and nannies and it handles big power fantastically whilst still having that amazing steering feel which you can only get with RWD.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2021 McLaren 765LT incoming 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.