fritz:
RC:

It would be quite embarrassing for Ferrari if the 488 would rev to 7500 rpm only in real life. I looked up a couple of YouTube videos and haven't seen any revving to 8000, true but I still would want to experience this first hand in real life before I make my own judgement about the 488.

Maybe this video is an indication of what to expect (Huracan is as fast as the 991.2 Turbo S, give or take...):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXnou4veRYU

I think there isn't much difference up to 230 kph or so but over that, the 488 gets slightly faster.

All these monster engine cars are faster over 230-260 kph, look at the Aventador (pretty much the same acceleration of the Huracan up to slightly over 200 kph). 650 S looses up to 150 kph or so but after 160 kph, it gains fast and is much faster over 200 kph. McLaren seems to grant their cars some sort of extra boost in the higher speed range. My guess is: They want to spare the drivetrain from too much stress when starting from stand still, so they limit the torque.

To be honest: If I would love to have the perfect weekend toy, I would probably choose the 675LT Spider right now. Hyper car performance and a cabriolet...what do you want more?! Smiley Unfortunately a bit out of my price range. 

If the drivetrains were the limitation they could be strengthened. 
Tyres can only provide so much traction, so the torque to the wheels is limited by traction control.  

True but maybe a cost factor, especially since they are all basically using the same engine at McLaren. Smiley

Traction control is actually excellent on McLaren cars, so I'm not sure this is the limitation here.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)