reginos:

McLaren Automotive is not an evocative  world brand like Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Therefore, I don't think that someone might jump at the opportunity to acquire. McLaren  have been in the road car business for merely a decade. They have made some good and some excellent sportscars mainly with bought-in hardware. I like the 720S and the 570GT very much but if I were to spend that sort of money I would have bought something from the established brands. McLaren are appreciated mostly in some mature markets like North America, Germany and of course the UK. They are a long way off the super-sports establishment  in terms of global allure in order to command a strong position of power..

The F1 team hasn't been successful for many years now and if you ask me F1 racing is a big liability that barely brings any sales to the investing manufacturers.

I'm afraid  that if McLaren don't manage to sort out their financial situation themselves they might wither away similarly to so many ambitious but now defunct sportscar manufacturers in history, That will be  a very sad development for enthusiasts..

-"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Mclaren's are in all the video games they are super aspirational throughout the world I would say ahead of Ferrari and Lamborghini who make older generation cars, the bought in component argument which one hears from non owners is really lame, the engines are from Ricardo an F1 supplier, they are incredible technology and super robust, the boxes from Granzio a top tier auto box manufacturer - it is a massively positive argument for Mclaren IMO Smiley

Mclaren messed up with their strategy of making too many cars and destroyed the resale but then this is good for people who "only" want to spend £150K, they can get a frikkin 720S now Smiley

The financial woes are connected to their strategy and COVID interrupting it, I think even without COVID Mclaren would've begun struggling as there are only so many repeat customers willing to drop £100K depreciation in the first year on these sort of toys. They need to be acquired by someone one with deep pockets (I like the idea of a tech firm like Apple) and then rework the strategy, up the prices and drastically reduce the output.   

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.