Quote:
andrea said:
beautiful pics RC. I'm sorry for your little daughter that couldn't have more joy from the 360* because of police.I'm surprised that 295/30 winter tires can have so much grip as you said.I'm also happy that the PCCB works well also in low temperatures.

Today when I brough my daughter to the Kindergarden, she asked me if we could drive to that parking lot... Well, the result: she started crying again because I didn't want trouble with the neighbors anymore.
Regarding the 295 winter tires: I'm surprised too, honestly. Maybe the limited slip differential plays it's role too. But the tires are really great: I somehow "overdid" a 100* turn at around 30 kph and the car started to slide on all four wheels, with a car coming on the other lane. I was sure I hit this car but the tires (no PSM action at all!!!) "stabilized" the car while I was turning the steering wheel very very smoothly. A more nervous steering wheel turning and braking foot and I would have hit this car for sure. Seems I have to get used to the idea of hidden ice below the snowy surface. This is the start of the snow season here, I have to get used to it.
But impressive winter tires, no doubt about it. Conti claims this is a new generation of winter tires with a mixed compound on the tire's contact surface. It works well indeed.

Here is the press information regarding this new generation of winter tires:

Following exhaustive testing of Continental`s new winter tire generation, sports car manufacturer Porsche has issued a release for the new ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport. To guarantee that the `top performer` delivers excellent handling properties even during the colder months of the year, Continental has developed a novel production concept for working different rubber compounds into its winter tires. The inner side of the ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport for Porsche has a soft winter tire compound for excellent grip on wintry roads, while the outer side of the tire is equipped with a handling-oriented, hard winter compound that supports sporty driving. Continental is the first winter tire manufacturer offering a combination of different tread compounds to specifically optimize the handling capability of winter sports tires.

A winter tire has to have a compound that remains flexible even at low temperatures if it is to adhere well to cold, wet roads. To achieve this, soft compounds have traditionally been preferred for winter tires. In the past this has had the effect of severely handicapped the winter driving handling of high-end sports car. With the new MCT process (MCT = Multi Component Tread), Continental`s tire developers have now resolved this problem. "The inner sides of the new ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport for Porsche are given a soft compound for optimum adherence on ice and snow," explains Dr. Burkhard Wies, head of winter and summer tire development at Continental. "The tire's outer side, which transmits most of the forces occurring when cornering, is given a comparatively hard compound. This ensures sporty handling properties on a par with those offered by summer tires."

The tire tread pattern has a similarly intricate design: "With the new ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport our range includes a high-tech winter tire whose extremely asymmetrical tread pattern can satisfy highest demands," reports Dr. Wies. "The outer side of the new ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport is dominated by thin, curved CLS-Plus siping with top handling properties on dry roads. We have given the tire`s inner side thick sipes that ensure excellent grip on snow and ice."

The ContiWinterContact TS 810 Sport model for the Zuffenhausen sports car manufacturer bears the supplementary `N0` identification.

I usually don't trust press releases too much but the TS810 S really works well. Still have to evaluate it's capabilities on dry pavement though.