Quote:

No, no nick, thats not what I'm saying. Ferraris have come a long long way in terms of reliability now, and maintance (though less in terms of maintenance, partly due to Ferrari being a relatively small company so its understandable). And though Ferrari owners may have among the highest percentage of "heavy gold jewerly" neuvo-rich poseurs within their files, you can't generalise and Ferraris also appeal to the true sportcar enthusiasts as well, who appreciate what the wondeful and exiting driving experience Ferrari has to offer. What I'm saying is that the sleeze ball dealership game in the US favors the first group and at the same time pushing out of ownership the second group. IMO a pity and a danger to the company since the market dictates the road a company takes and the poseurs may make Ferrari stray away from Ferraris philosophy in the long haul and may turn into something like the pre-audi lamboghinis
My favorite Ferrari is the F40 (in which I had the pleasure of riding in and you could only but admire the brilliance with which they carried out a "true sportcar")... you won't see many gold chain poseurs driving that thing!

Exactly Carlos. To a sports car afficianado, there are plenty of great choices and alternatives today - if the Ferrari dealer pisses you off, you go someplace else. To someone who is mainly buying a Ferrari based on image and the "I'm living my dream and you can't have any" philosophy, they're stuck with the dealer and have to put up with their practices because these customers have narrowly focused themselves.

Ferrari and the dealers win either way. When they have great product (F430) they'll have a line out the door. When their product isn't as good (348, 355, Testarossa, etc.), the line will be half as long but it's still long enough. This half line is filled with the poseurs who again are buying the image more than they are the actual car.