Quote:
FixedWing said:
As you can see from Christian's response, he believes that only factory approved tyres should be fitted to performance cars. His logic is simple. The factory has tested these tyres and approved them for use. Remember also that Christian is operating in a world where only approved tyres may be fitted. A German registration certificate will spell out specifically which tyres may be mounted. A tyre dealer in Germany will not mount other tyres. And if they were mounted the car would not pass its TÜV inspection.

Stephen, you don't have to be a "rebel" all the time, sometimes it doesn't hurt to go by the rules.
Porsche has not only tested and approved the N-rated tires, they are SPECIFICALLY DEVELOPPED for that specific Porsche model and this is why I only recommend Porsche approved tires. Porsche doesn't take a tire from a manufacturer, test it and put the N-rating on it. This is not the way it works. And to make it easier for you as an all-time "rebel": think about the N-rated tires like as if they were "custom made", especially for your car. Or do you really want to use a "mass product", made for the ordinary law-obeying people?
Sorry that I'm a little bit harsh on you right now but I don't make compromises regarding tires and tire pressures.
Maybe this example helps: take the Carrera GT. It is a very special car with a very special suspension system and although it has an electronic traction control system, it completely lacks a PSM-like (ESP) system. It took a lot of testing and a crashed CGT, personally driven by Walter Röhrl, to learn about how important the tires are. Whoever goes for non-approved tires on the CGT must be completely NUTS because the CGT tires use different compound mixtures on the exterior and interior of the tire. The same technique has been used for the 997 and Boxster, you'll be surprised about the improvement.
Regarding the TÜV, you're not right (seems you haven't been for a long time to Germany): the TÜV doesn't ask for a specific tire, even if the car manufacturer mentions the tire in the car documents. Only the right size and speed index are mandatory with the exception of tuned car where the TÜV can specify a specific tire and even the tire pressure.

Guys, I don't care what you use on your cars, you can use your grandmother's old stockings if you want to. I'm just trying to help you guys by indicating the best possible tire for you. You don't want to listen to me? Heck, I'm not your mother, right?!