pmarkow:
RC:

Good read but I doubt that the facelifted GT3 will give Porsche fans a good replacement for a 911 R. Unless of course Porsche decides to offer that long awaited wing delete option, even for extra cash. Now that would be awesome!

i don't quite understand why wing-delete on a GT3 would be awesome. to get the ugly extendable spoiler as on the carrera or R in return? the last true sport cars made by porsche are the GT cars, the rest is deleted sauce catering to SUV fans and their wives.

but i agree it is a useless discussion. surely there is people out there who want a four seater GT3RS targa version and in the end they will win the game by majority vote (and check-book).

peter

GT3RS targa with 4 seats? Got my name on one Smiley Actually this is the ONLY modern 911 I would consider. Else my money goes elsewhere (mostly to Ferrari).

Seriously, wings are not necessary unless you track the car, same as rear seats, let people the option to add them back even if it means 30 more kg or so on the car. As far as convertible vs coupe, again, for a mostly road car coupe makes zero sense, these cars are so fast that the enhancement of have open top trounces any tiny bit of performance lost.

The GT3RS targa with 4 seats would be a unique offering today with no competition and could be priced as such (i.e. around $200k, same as the boring 991 turbo S). It would reinforce Porsche as a sport car manufacturer vs a SUV, limousine or toned down sport car maker like BMW. To think it would reduce the GT3 RS "manliness track oriented" view is silly as the GT3 RS could still exist in its current form anyway, and since other manufacturers do it too (Ferrari and McLaren). So what does Porsche have to loose? Well the sales of turbo S where we know the margins are astronomical could plunge for a while at least. I don't see any other reason.Smiley