A few pages back I wrote that the Taycan is the beginning of the end for Porsche.  I was told I was wrong because VW is investing billions in electronic cars and Porsche has a long history of engineering breakthroughs and a great brand name.  [Ford famously spent 6 billion on the Mondeo and accordingly dominates the midsize sedan market to this day.  Kodak, Motorola, Atari, Duesenberg and others had great brand names and were known for engineering brilliance.]

My argument was no teenager will have a Taycan poster on their wall.  To put it another way; a Porsche was a marvel of engineering demonstrably better than the competition.  A Taycan is a marvel of technology which costs much more than the competition.  Engineering lasts, technology becomes obsolete.  I think we all subconsciously recognize this, which is partially why there's so much Tesla bashing.  (Kudos to the owners who keep returning for the e-beatings they take defending their cars.)

The Taycan is a great car.  It is also ridiculously expensive.  When the next generation of electronic cars come out from multiple competitors and are equal, on paper anyway, to a Taycan, VW will find it very hard to justify the Porsche premium or handicapping the Audi, VW and Seat.