RC:

According to the findings, the said (defective) airbags become only really dangerous after a couple of years, so they should be fine on newer cars. I just find it strange that buyers of new cars (for example new R8) aren't informed of the (very likely) recall and defect. This is something which certainly needs to be addresses properly.

As to why car manufacturers are still using Takata airbags remains a mystery to me. I suppose it has something to do with certification and development but I may be wrong.

Takata airbags using the "dubious" explosive charge are still being installed in new cars, in spite of the fact that it is known they will later have to be replaced, as it is going to take a while to sufficiently ramp up production of alternative parts to be able to do without those Takata units. This is regardless of whether the replacement units are to be supplied by Takata or by some other supplier. The alternative would be to stop production of the car models involved until parts are available. 
The cars concerned will all be subject to official recalls, and the completion of the replacement of the airbags by official dealers and at manufacturers' expense will be documented like all official recalls.

--

fritz