Quote:
SoCal Alan said:
To get around the -20mm chassis issue in the US, can one import a Euro 997S to the US and have it retrofitted with US DOT approved height springs? And then after it has been approved, modify the car back to -20mm? This will allow some people to have the 997S in the US without PASM (and with the -20mm). Or is there a lot more to it than this?

People who want to have a 997 without PASM can order a 997 Carrera (not S!) and install an aftermarket coilover kit (H&R is rumored to be offering one soon, lowering springs are already available for the 997 Carrera).
If you're in the US, you're (still?) "stuck" with PASM which actually isn't bad at all.
The 20 mm chassis option doesn't only have lower springs, different dampers, different swaybars, etc. but it also includes a limited slip differential. All this stuff has to be seen like a "unity", one whole package where the suspension has been adapted to the LSD and vice versa, including the chrono sport package and PSM software mapping setup.
I highly doubt that it is recommendable (or even possible) to remove PASM from a 997 Carrera S and install an aftermarket coilover kit. Don't forget about the CAN network and the software control units which communicate one with each other. I'm pretty positive that removing PASM would surely cause some errors in the CAN system, resulting in DME error codes too and other problems. I wouldn't even be surprised if the engine warning light comes on and/or that a PSM warning message appears.

Personally, I'm a little bit surprised to see that Porsche offers only PASM for the Carrera S (with the exception of the ROW 20 mm chassis option) and not a standard chassis option (similar to the 997 Carrera) for less money. Maybe this is Porsche's way to "penetrate" the market with PASM and raise PASM production numbers. Maybe it has to do with limited availability of the 20 mm chassis option. Or maybe it has been a decision to "protect" GT3 sales in the US later on, I don't know, honestly.
But people who get a 997 Carrera S with PASM shouldn't have the feeling that they get the less better car. PASM is a great alternative for the 20 mm chassis option, especially if you live in areas where the streets aren't that good. With the 20 mm chassis, I always have to be careful with street bumps, etc. and although it is fun, especially the additional traction resulting from the LSD, my car would definetely NOT be the perfect daily driver.