Quote:
Seven said:
But It doesn't explain why the Carrera seems to be more powerful than the Carrera S, does it? Or do you mean because of different sport chrono settings??

The 997 Carrera didn't SEEM to be more powerful, it FELT more powerful because of the missing chrono sport package. To understand what I mean I suggest driving a 997 Carrera without chrono sport (or with the "sport" button OFF) and a 997 Carrera S with chrono sport "sport" button ON (this is actually my "standard" setting while driving).

There is also another explenation: due to the shortened throttle way (when chrono sport "sport" button is ON) resulting in a much better throttle response, there is a strong tendency of driving the car always with a gear TOO HIGH instead of downshifting. This is because contrary to the situation when you drive in a TOO HIGH gear at low speeds, the engine feels like it would stall, the activated chrono sport throttle enhancement "covers" this feel pretty well and the engine doesn't feel it all to come even close to stalling. The negative side effect: you drive in 3rd gear at 30 kph and you want to get instant power by fully pressing the throttle. Of course the enhanced throttle reponse is great but it can't provide additional torque/power, so although you have the feeling of an instant throttle reponse even in the mentioned situation (3rd gear, 30 kph), the engine revs only slowly.

So the chrono sport package somehow can mistakenly provide a false feeling, resulting in the wrong choice of gears at specific speeds. This is why I started to watch the rev figure all the time to try to stay above 4000 rpm. You have to get somehow used to it, I still love the chrono sport package but the "artificial" throttle enhancement actually is pretty confusing when you don't know exactly what is happening. It took me more than 4000 km and a few weeks to figure that out.