I don't like 911's. Any of them. Not even the 997. They are a throw back to the Beetle with a steroid treatment. The engine is in the wrong place. They are unstable and stupid.
That's what I used to think until yesterday. Up until yesterday I had never driven one. But then yesterday I drove a 997 "S" courtesy of my Porsche dealer as I needed to know about PASM in case I wanted it on my Boxster. (You know,the Porsche for proper drivers because it is mid engined).
What an education The sound, the performance, the traction, the sheer usability of the thing. Pottering along "in BMW mode" as the salesman put it. Or experiencing some of the performance. The unbelieveable quality and precision of everything you operate. The superb gearbox, the clutch feel, the steering. I could go on for ever.
So, all you guys with 911's past and present I owe you my apologies for misjudging you and your cars. You were right after all.
However, even if I could justify Pounds70k for such a machine I wouldn't buy one. My licence would last a week and I am not good enough a high performance driver to fully get the best of it. So I am doing the next best thing. Buying a Boxster and when I get it invest in a Porsche driving course.