Stephen, I understand you. But they are different, it started with the 996 Turbo S.
I don't know why they withhold information (as you say) because the press department actually made a pretty clear declaration about the new generation:

For the first time the new Carrera features ceramic brake discs enhanced to an even higher standard, the new design of the interior cooling ducts increasing the flow of cool air through the spinning disc. At the same time the larger number of cooling ducts increases disc rigidity, in the process significantly reducing deformation of the disc under high pressure. A further point is the optimisation of fibre reinforcement on the friction surface of the brake discs, significantly enhancing the resistance to abrasion particularly under high loads. For the customer, these improvements mean even better performance, enhanced brake comfort, and even longer brake system life.

All my sources confirm that, there has been a substantial improvement. This is why Porsche decided to install the PCCB on their new 997 GT3 Cup cars.

At the same time, Porsche has become more "cautious" about their lifespan claims.
A source told me that the new PCCB lasts around three times longer than the steel brakes at the same size if track raced. Sounds good to me, even if it still isn't worth the money for using it on the track. But the advantages of the new PCCB generation are pretty spectacular to my knowledge, I heard that a 997 equipped with the PCCB brakes from 200 km/h to 0 km/h in aprox. the same time as the Carrera GT does. And the Carrera GT has one of the best braking performances ever measured on a standard production street car with street tires (not even semi-slicks).

Believe it or not...