Grant:
Leawood911:

Compare the 993 to the 992.

And my 911 weighs >500kg (1,100 pounds) less than a 993.  It makes an amazing difference. I owned both at same time and made 993 feel like a truck.

This is my point.  Weight even with technology still hampers performance and driving dynamics.  Look what has happened with the 992.  To counter the weight gain, Porsche engineers have made the car wider and have adopted wheel stagger, both in width and diameter.   Now the 992’s tires are so wide, hydroplaning has become a greater issue.   To address that problem, Porsche has developed a special wet mode.  First stage relies on special acoustic sensors in the front wheelwells to listen for wet pavement.   There is also a driver selectable wet mode with increased restrictions on the stability program.  

The 992 gained weight because of regulations and consumer demand for new features.  This means that Porsche needs larger wheels which further increase weight.  The larger tires and wheels introduce a new host of issues requiring new wet mode hardware which further increases weight in an upward spiral.