DaveGordon:

Interesting how these things vary country to country (something the EU has not standardised??)..  In Switzerland, it is the car that is insured, not the driver - so it is mostly irrelevant who is going to drive it.  My GT3 is therefore insured for any driver, which is the default.  This would be extremely expensive to do in the UK for example.

In Germany, the car is insured for a specific driver and then you can add additional drivers or not. You cannot specifically add novice drivers, you can drive yourself only, add your spouse or make the car accessible to anyone you permit to drive your car. This is the standard insurance contract, there are other contracts (limited to specific groups, company employees, etc. as well).

All our cars in the family are insured to me and my wife (R8 only to me). When I go with my kids for driving lessons on a closed track (official driving possible, starting at age 15), I need to get an extra full coverage insurance, just in case. Smiley

It is very difficult to get a full coverage insurance for novice drivers and older drivers (over 65-75, depends). The more expensive and/or powerful the car, the more difficult it is. 

A R8, as far as I remember, requires a minimum owner age of 25 as far as I remember but there are loopholes, like for example if you own a company and you register the car to the company. Then, the owner can sometimes be younger. Not sure every insurance does that though, a friend who was younger than 25 had to insure his sportscar through Lloyd's in London to get coverage. Car was registered to a German company. Insurance fee was enormous though, over 10k or even 15k per year, don't remember anymore.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)