The upper dash looks like a welcome determined effort to return to the classic 911 style whilst still incorporating a TFT screen for the infotainment.

The centre console is the big let down as it just does not flow with the upper dash and therefore looks like an awkward afterthought and one where a senior official has insisted there must be the dreaded family resemblance. The only car the new centre console works visually seamlessly with is the Panamera where is flows into the upper dash without the awkward face level air vents in the new Cayenne. The infotainment screen also integrates far more elegantly into the middle dash strip in the Panamera whilst it hangs down somewhat inelegantly in the Cayenne. Trying to adopt a common design language for completely different vehicles is a headache for designers and I really have no idea why marketing people think it is necessary. Do buyers really need the interior of a 911 to look reassuring familiar to an SUV or luxury sedan.?? I rather suspect most of us would prefer something unique, driver focused and probably more minimalist.

I wish they had carried the return to the traditional 911 dash onto the centre console, slimmed it down and made it flat like this quick render. Everything would still have been in easy reach and the cabin would have felt a bit larger with the rising slab of plastic removed from it. One thing's for sure - we are going to stuck with that awful centre console design for the 992.2 as well as it will be too costly to re-engineer I fear.

Revised interior.JPG