Porsche used to be fairly unique in that when they published a DIN weight (ie no occupants all fluids inc 90% fuel load) it was usually spot on - they said a 993tt weighed 1500kg and near as damn it they all did....

It seemed to be around 2003 when the rot started to set in when the quoted weights started becoming wildly optimistic compared to actual cars on the road being weighed.

The Carrera GT was the first big clanger 1380kg was much quoted with all the magazines lavishing praise on how light this car was when in fact the cars on the road came in at 1470+ kg nearly 100kg more !

The next crazy one was the 997GT3/RS quoted 1395/1375kg and both coming out at around 50kg more. Cargraphic used their arsenal of lightweight parts and still only managed to get their GT3RS down to 1393kg !

The 997 turbo at launch at least did seem to be able to be specced to come in around the 1580kg mark but then they launched the 997 GT2 and yada yada it weighs 1440kg - tested ones I have seen so far are 1497kg and 1510kg !!

The reason for bringing up this topic which as someone who takes an unhealthy interest in weighing cars (very sad and for no real good reason other than light=good) is that I have a deposit down for an '09 997GT2 (whether or not Porsche GB will let me have one or not is another matter).

I want to know how I can spec the car to come out at the 1440kg DIN weight mark which Porsche claim. The 1497kg one tested by SA seemed to be pretty low spec with only the roll cage adding mass, apart from that it had sport chrono, VTS, a bit of extra leather.....

When/if I am told I can buy one of these I intend to ask the question "what spec do I need to get the factory quoted DIN weight of 1440kg" and take it as high as possible as surely one should be able to buy what is represented ?

What do we think, is 1440kg possible ? Is it marketing BS, some fantasy spec ? Did someone forget to fill the tanks before the weigh in ?

Tested weight data is here:
http://www.einszweidrei.de/