I think we're getting a bit lost in the use of words...

Both Silver Bullet and Adias are instructing on the same methods, just using different words, possibly different techniques.

Silver Bullet's instructional was more complete, more specific.

A "blip" is just a word, that could be an arbitrary stab at your gas pedal, or just a FAST and PRACTICED manner of getting a perfect rev-match. A faster "blip" comes into play when you're using the engine as a brake, as all you need the rpm's for is to engage the gear at a matched-rev, after which you're back off of the gas pedal so that the engine can brake. How much TIME you take, i.e. whether or not you have to sustain for a bit, then off, or if you can do the whole operation in the speed of a "blip", depends on how practiced/slick you are with the operation... A practiced driver can effect a perfectly rev-matched and clutch-friendly downshift in the timespan of a "blip". But if your blip is just a stab in the dark, you may be doing more harm than good.

The sustained rev-match is more for dropping a gear in anticipation for using the lower gear for any reason that has to do with accelerating, or being at least "prepared" to accelerate... The most common scenarios that I'll do a sustained rev-match is when I'm beginning to approach slower traffic on a 2-lane road in anticipation of passing... I always have myself in the correct gear that I think I'll need well in advance of slowing... So if I can go I just roll into the throttle... But if I need to slow down I'm already in a lower gear so I can allow the engine to brake me down to the slower speed.. When I'm sustaining the throttle beyond the shift, it's because I'm sustaining speed as well. Constant speed, but lower gear. I usually drop two gears at a time, I don't fuss around with 1-gear drops, it's a waste of bushings...

But when I'm downshifting to shed speed, I'm sustaining only long enough to get the clutch back out, which is fast enough that it'll sound like a "blip", and you could call it that..

Where I disagree with Bullet is in the everyday value of being good at these techniques. I use them at all times, in the interest of increasing the lifespan of my brakes, and hence keeping my wheels cleaner for longer... Yep, it's one-half the Schumacher in me, and one-half the Felix Unger in me...

But done incorrectly, you're just robbing Peter to pay Paul..

Which is why I fixated upon doing it well, frequently, and practicing, from an early age.... I can make a clutch and a set of brake pads go A LONG WAY..