Quote:
reginos said:
What obsession with the push vs pull of the gear lever! Oh my God! It's been discussed here many times already so I apologise for mentioning it again.
But the way some people talk about the intuitive manner of doing the gear change, it is like humans are born with the instinct to change gears on a clutchless system.
I've never driven a serious automated manual before (I suppose my Smart ForTwo doesn't count) but for me my intuition tells me to push to move up a gear because my instinct tells me go up/forward=push and to pull to move down a gear because for me go down=pull back/rein the car.
So there is no right or wrong unfortunately. Maybe a genetic study should be undertaken to differentiate people on the basis of this instinct by race, colour, geographical area etc.
It is also the journalists that try to emulate racers and imagine every car as a racing car or maybe some journalists without the mental capacity to move from one system to another. Obviously if they are not so adaptable then they will have a problem in doing more mundane things in life.
A proviso though! I really hope that when I get my PDK-equiped Porsche and when the those dreaded g forces come under heeeeavy braking, my hand will not be accidentally forced to move forward and push me into a higher gear instead of a lower one and end up being passed before the chicane and losing the race.

They also fail to mention that unlike other flappy paddle boxes, you can upshift AND downshift with one hand.