RC:

A general speed limit for the Autobahn will come sooner than many of us here in Germany may expect.

The reason is simple: Til now, major car manufacturers like VW Group, BMW and Mercedes were against a general speed limit. No surprise here since they offer pretty fast cars and a speed limit would certainly have an impact on all those Porsche, Lambo, BMW M, AMG, etc. sales. In the near future however, with the "electrification" of cars, it only makes sense for major car manufacturers to ask for a legal speed limit in Germany.

Why? Well, the faster an EV goes, the more energy it consumes and the faster the battery drains. The high top speeds of the cars nowadays are "deadly" for battery life. One reason why EVs driving faster than 200 kph, drain their batteries extremely fast. So it makes only sense to ask for a speed limit to keep average energy consumption and especially ranges at an acceptable level. Porsche cannot sell a car which drains it's battery after 50 km if the driver drives 300 kph. Smiley Just a stupid example but you get my point.

If you think I'm wrong, I'm not. I actually know for a fact that this topic has been discussed at VW Group (and very likely at other manufacturers as well).

In the future, everything will be about acceleration, charging time and total energy consumption. Also how autonomous a car will be able to drive or not. Top speed? Not important anymore, simply because there will be a general speed limit in Germany. Maybe not tomorrow, not in a year or two but it will certainly happen over the next decade. It will affect the whole thinking in the car industry about future products and how they will be shaped technologically.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Extremely simple solution, just limit electric car's top speed to 150-200km/hr. There are such a thing already for trucks. 

--