SciFrog:

Did I say the street set the 5,000 mark? I said the street HAS FOCUSED ON. Do you really think it matters if last week Tesla produced 4,5000 cars or 5,500? Why do you keep missing the big picture? Musk only played the game of 5,000 so he could show the street they focus on the wrong thing. He can now tell them: we did your stupid 5,000, so now what? To which the bears now reply: yes but you can’t do it steadily. My point is that for the people who don’t believe, nothing Musk will do in the next 3 years will matter. You fit in that category. It is still a mystery what your agenda is but there clearly is one.

Why has the Street FOCUSED on 5,000 units?  No reason other than something to do with management’s obligations to comply with the SEC’s disclosure requirements.  Musk stated that was the goal for Q2, so therefore that number represents an actionable disclosure to the market.  Inherently tied to that forecast is the profitability of the company.  If it can’t start generating positive cash flow it will need to tap the cap markets for additional expensive funding or risk becoming insolvent.  

Unlike you as a Tesla owner and shareholder, as previously stated, one has no horse in this race other than following a group of tech and advanced manufacturing companies.  One is even more critical of some other companies in a related vertical.