Good point. From my "web research," LOL some have reported failure. OTOH, it's not always the case; other users stated
no problem after 20k plus miles.
My technical advisor, eclou , has also said if the spring is replaced early, the risk of failure might be less. I wonder if it's a matter of timing--early replacement is better, and if having some degree of matching between spring and damper is critical.

But this is the main reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on Bilstein, besides the fact that I enjoy learning more: I wonder why neither Champion or GMG uses Bilstein. In the case of Champion, there is no financial incentive as they don't make either the lowering spring or coilover. Champion did state "better grip" with the lowering spring, I wonder if there are other reasons, such as whether the Bilstein rate or behavior is not to their liking.

The rates of springs of Bilstein PSS10 are 285 main/115 tender front, and 570 main/145 tender rear. These rates (effectively 285/570 as tender springs are fully compressed) are not too aggressive and FWIW, someone at Bilstein told me they were chosen mainly for road (vs. track) use. AFAIK, while there are several other factors (sway bar, etc.) that are best left to the pro's, the spring rate is more or less the foundation. I am trying to determine if this is good for me, or if I want something more aggressive like the GMG setup.

The funny thing is, as I remember your very positive comments about your experience with the GT3, it is entirely possible that the GMG setup is better for you, and Bilstein better for me! Problem know is we never know until we experiment.

Quote:
atomic80 said:
Can,

One thing to consider is the fact that you may experience premature shock wear by going with lowering springs in lieu of a full coilover system. That was the biggest concern I had when considering those springs. I elected to go with a system that had been designed from the outset to be fully integrated.