Had some first hand experience with the Tesla model X this weekend. What an awesome SUV. They really went back to the drawing board and created something different. The inside feels like nothing I have seen before, the quality of materials is way up from the S model from 2-3 years ago. They blend leather and alcantara nicely and you can add some modern wood trim or a nice non shiny carbon. Access to the third row is the easiest in any SUV out there. The rear row is not as large as the GL but definitely better than Q7 or equivalent. A tall adult will not like it there but my 5'6" were fine. Leg space in middle and last row were not an issue unlike what was rumored from the first prototypes, yet again not at GL level. The middle row seats pedestals are very cool, the seats can move a lot. Cargo space would be compromised if you are looking for one large flat surface. However for my resonate use of cargo (a lot of boxes or empty suitcases) the compromise is small since I can move the middle seat forward buy not all the way and fit a suitcase there. The front windshield wrapping above your head is cool as is the giant middle screen. They finally put a decent center console instead of a gaping hole in the early model S but a section of it looks plasticky. There is way more space than the GL in the back when you have 7 people plus there is a small trunk in the front.

Overall impression? I would have bought one one the spot, delivery in 1.5 months (they cleared the wait list?). Red with tan interior and grey wheels. My wife wants to test drive it first and we need to make sure my parking garage will activate the chargers they installed last week. This car is so forward thinking vs everything else and the interior quality is good enough yet not at Germans levels. The design is very love/hate, we like it.

Even specced nicely at $140k, cost of ownership will probably be way less than the GLS 63 AMG due to better residuals, it can use the HOW lanes and I will never need to stop at a gas station again. Plus the autopilot feature could be very nice for my bi-weekly 65 miles one way commute in traffic...